Author Topic: Help...Biting and Screeching pionus  (Read 4515 times)

Offline suzette

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Help...Biting and Screeching pionus
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:56:14 AM »
Hi,

I am new to this sight and I need help.  I have had my Pionus, named Kobie,  for three months now.  He is 7 months old now.  I love him dearly and he is sweet as he can be most of the time. He talks and mimics various whistle that I teach  him. Every morning he wakes up and says, "Hey Kobie, Kobie Kobie".

However, he screeches non stop every morning and afternoon and when we are talking or have guest come by.  It will only stop if I walk around with him on my shoulder or put him on a stand right beside of me.  It is very embarassing when guest arrives and he won't be quiet.  My husband who really liked him at first, is becoming very annoyed.  My family complains every time they come over and he won't quit screeching.

Any suggestions on what to do?  The screeching is so loud that we can not even talk unless we go to the other side of the house.

Also, he bites really hard sometimes when I put my hand in cage.  I never know when he is going to do this and he bites so hard that it bleeds.  Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

I bought Kobie  because everything I read said a Blue Headed Pionus  was such a quiet and gentle bird.  I  love my little Kobie and don't want to sell him.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Help...Biting and Screeching pionus
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 01:35:33 PM »
As far as biting when is his cage that's pretty normal for most birds as they consider that their home and will defend it. The screaming it's hard to say but he's young and maybe a bit insecure or just wants mommy to pay attention to him all the time. Lurch will start honking sometimes too, and then gets a bit quieter when we go up to him but sometimes he's screaming while everyone is here with him.  Luckily he doesn't do it all the time. Sometimes we say OK, I'm leaving, and walk out of the room and it makes him think about something else and he stops, sometimes we give him a treat so he munches quietly on it if he'll take it. I'm sure other members that understand the way these guys are wired will jump in with other good suggestions. I do know when they get hormonal they can get grumpy and noisy but not sure if he's old enough to be at that stage yet.
I think you'll just have to take the long term goal with him and figure out what works and eventually he'll settle in as he gets older and more comfortable with you and his place in life. They really are great little souls but each one is a individual  and I'm glad Ive had two in my life so far even with the little bumps in the road. They are very loyal and loving in their own way once they decide you are their Friend. Hang in there and wait to see what others have to say, it will be worth it in the long run.
Village Idiot

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »
I agree on everything that Dartman says. Their cage is their "property" and some bird accept that you handle them their and some don't.

About the screaming, ignore that if you once have answer back. (if it's a calling sound) Go back to him when he is silence and not when he is screaming. He will soon learn that the screaming isn't helping at all. (again if it is a calling sound)
Just be patience. Give him plenty of love and let him be with you a lot. But not when he is screaming.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the best bird in the world = The Pionus! ♥

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 06:58:14 PM »
yes, ignore sound. no reaction at all. don't go over to him. don't look in room. absolutely no reaction.  reward silence with a treat.  he will grow out of it.  any reaction you are currently doing is reinforcing the behavior. so you are rewarding him and encouraging him to continue his present behavior.  he knows by doing what you are currently doing he can get you to do what he wants. keep a journal of what occurs in detail before, during and after noise.  it will instruct you on how to stop this by studying the behavior in detail.  also does any screeching occur while you have water running or vacuum on?  this is actually normal behavior for a pi

same for biting. keep a journal with details. asks him if he wants to step up or down into cage and give him a reward for going in. 

do you know what kind of rewards motivates your pi?  a scritch or  a particular food treat perhaps?  Look into articles by Susan Friedman on BehaviorWorks or Barbara Hendenrich on Good Bird, Inc.

this behavior will pass....plus your little boy is coming into a hormonal stage.  believe me. my little boy is just 5 months older....this will pass

And Welcome!
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 08:51:32 PM »
Ours get to sit on the back of our dining room chairs when company comes.  They just want to be in the room with us and share the visit.  Our male Maxi gets a little crazy sometimes, and then he goes back in his cage with some uncooked pasta to crack.  That keeps the beak busy.
They almost always want to visit and be where we are.  About the cage, maybe you could try opening it and ask him to step up.  Usually ours will come out on the cage door and step up.  If he leans forward and puffs up, don't risk putting your hand up.  Ours lean the beak very far forward, fluff the feathers, and chatter when they want to bite.

Offline GinnyW

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »
My two maxi pi's used to do their jungle calling in the mornings and afternoons - seemed to depend on when the sun was coming up or going down and it varied according to the seasons.  Ignoring them didn't change the behavior - I believe it's instinctual - calling their flock members.  But if I had company and it was annoying them, I covered their cages with a dark blanket or sheet - something that didn't let in any light.  If I wasn't cooking or doing something that they could get into trouble, I would let them out to ride around on my shoulders or hang out in the room with me. That always seemed to distract them from the screeching and re-focus their attention on something more interesting, like digging thru my sewing supplies (buttons were a favorite). 
As you get to know Kobie's body language, you'll be able to better tell when it's safe to offer your hand or arm.  I could always tell with Lizzy - if I slowly moved my hand toward her, she'd either start to move like she was going to step up, or she'd make herself taller in preparation to snap that razor beak onto my hand.  I learned to open their cages and let them come out to me, instead of me sticking my arm into their house and making them mad.  Just be patient and kind, he'll learn to trust you more as time goes by.  :hello1: 

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 01:09:55 PM »
They just want to be in the room with us and share the visit. 
They almost always want to visit and be where we are. 
And that is the correct behavior. We must remember that all the time. The bird will always be with us. We are a member of their flock, and flock stay together.

Eloy is flighted and is allowed to be were he wants. He is only in his cage for night. That is no problem at all, and he don't like all my guest and then he choose to be in a different room. And if some quest don't like birds they can stay home. (LOL) This home is Eloys and mine.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 01:26:52 AM »
JT - Definitely agree on the philosophy that it is Eloy's and your home.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto