Author Topic: Airplane ride.  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Al_96789

• Egg
Airplane ride.
« on: March 30, 2013, 04:27:55 PM »
Aloha All,

In about a year I'm retiring and moving from Hawaii to Texas. I don't want to put Carla in a cage in the cargo hold of the airplane. She'll be 18 and has a hard time being away from me, and I have a hard time being away from her too. Has anyone taken a pi on an airplane in the cabin? Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks,
Al
Carla - BW

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Airplane ride.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »
I haven't but had planned on doing so.  United or Delta are the most accomodating for this. I called both and had made reservation on United. You probably will have to pay $150 for Carla to travel under your seat. Have a health certificate from vet. Airline didn't require at time I had reservation but advised me that TSA could require. Same thing in type of carrier - have mesh over openings of carrier so Carla can't poke beak through. May or may not be required but people are not used to seeing birds in travel so best to be over prepared. I had a dog tote bag with mesh and it was specifically airline approved. Consider giving grapes to her during travel...I hear grapes are a good travel food for birds due to high water content
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 07:21:46 PM »
Check with the airlines as to what would be an approved carrier - sometimes they are really specific. Also be sure to insist if they want to look in the carrier at security they do it in a closed room, even if clipped you wouldnt want Carla to try to fly off.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »
Yes and allow plenty of extra time
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Al_96789

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 01:23:25 PM »
Thank you!
Carla - BW