Author Topic: Vinagar can kill our birds  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Pennysmom

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
  • Hi I am new slave to a White Cap
Vinagar can kill our birds
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:51:26 PM »
I just received a really sad email and I know I would have never thought about this being toxic for birds so I thought I would share:

"We recently had a disaster in which 3 of our birds that we have owned since they were babies all died within 1 hour of one another due
 to my cleaning our dishwasher with 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Our 4th bird was unaffected even though she was in the same room. I have found out(belatedly) that if vinegar is heated it can give off fumes which can kill a bird! Even my vet and my wife's sister, who has had birds for 30 years didn't know. We can never replace our blue and gold(Captain), but we now have a house full of empty cages and a huge hole in our hearts."
Pennys Mommy

Offline E

• Nestling
Re: Vinagar can kill our birds
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:37:17 PM »
OMG! What a lost! Tell them from me that I'm so sorry for their loss. ♥
And thanks Pennysmom for telling about it.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about their tragedy :'( but thanks for the info. We try to watch getting things too hot around here just in case and Lurch is a lot farther from the kitchen in the new house too.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:22:21 PM »
What a nightmare, please accept our deepest sympathies.  So very sorry. :(

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
I am friends with the woman who runs a rescue and has spoken to the people who lost their birds - they are interested in adopting. I know this has been going around Facebook and just want to verify it is a true story. Dr Orosz said she is not sure if there were underlying health problems but just be safe and do not hear vinegar or use it to clean appliances where it would be heated.

Offline Dani

• Egg
  • Bronson The Little Raptor

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 06:04:02 PM »
As I said I know the person who first posted it and she has spoken with the people who it happened to and their vet as well as her vet who is avian board certified and former president of the association of avian veterinarians and practicing for over 20 yrs and she said it may have been some underlying health issue or some residue of something left in the dishwasher but birds do have very sensitive respiratory systems so why take a chance

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 06:40:26 PM »
Thanks Cetan! No reason to take a chance but interesting that there was underlying issue.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »
She wasnt sure there was an underlying issue but again why take a chance on anything that has the potential to cause problems.