Author Topic: Lurch has runny nose  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Lurch has runny nose
« on: March 31, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »
Like it says, it's pretty warm today and I was outside doing some car stuff before we leave to do Easter dinner. Lurch was sitting on the chair close to the window so I said hi to him and he looked all comfy but I noticed a little bubble of like snot by the right nare.
I wiped it off and he wasn't liking that so I watched him and he bubbled out another one a bit later but doesn't seem to be in distress and his breathing is the same as it's always been for him. Do Maxi Pionus tend to sweat or let moisture out through their noses if it's warm and humid for them or is he getting some kind of nasal issue?
We're thinking we need to take him in tomorrow after work or maybe take the day off if it sounds bad enough or he starts acting like it's bothering him but want some opinions, advice. His weight is exactly the same as it was the last time I manged to get him to hold still long enough to get a reading, he's eating and drinking and pooping like normal, and he seems to have his normal amount of strength and flight time.
Anyone seen this before and is it something they occasionally do or pretty serious. Getting him in the carrier should be fun but we do have a vet we've used before that knows birds.
Thanks for any info.
I posted this on AA too but maybe everyone here knows more about Pionus birds in general.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Lurch has runny nose
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
I tried looking up in Practical Pionus but didnt find anything....sorry. hope he is better soon
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
Yeah, I don't think it's normal, never remember Nerd ever getting a runny nose but Nerd also would get the bird version of a cough when he had issues and sometimes when he sneezed it would be a like a wet sneeze. Lurch has never coughed and doesn't seem to sneeze excessively so hoping if he has anything it's something minor that can be cleared up easily. He needs a general checkup and his nails trimmed anyways.
Village Idiot

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:03:24 PM »
It never hurts to bring him in, except of course your hands may get hurt  :wink1:. Always better to catch anything early - and have fun if you have to give him antibiotics.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 09:49:28 PM »
Yeah, Nerd was easy as he would let me reach into his house without too much fuss and I'd just push his beak up to the bars and get the meds in there before he got too pissy. I think Lurch will be another problem entirely though and I do like my fingers right where they are with all the skin still on them. Of course we were gone for a couple of hours at moms for Easter dinner and now his nose is pretty much dry and he's still acting like nothings wrong.
One of the folks on AA posted that her large parrot had issues with dry air in her house and would get a stuffy nose and occasionally even end up blowing bubbles and giving him fresh air and higher humidity fixed him right up so at least now Lurch isn't the only one that has done this and we'll take him in this week and get him checked out to stay on top of anything before it gets bad or at least find out what's happening just in case.
Village Idiot

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 12:48:59 AM »
Just sending get well wishes and healing thoughts  to Lurch! ♥

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 05:03:30 PM »
Thanks, and just to let evryone know today it's much cooler and his nose inside and out is dry and he's still acting like his usual self. SO I think he can wait till sister has her normal days off this week unless something changes.
He was a bit pissy when I uncovered him to say good morning and check on him and disturbed his nap but his nose looked dry then too.
Hoping whatever is going on isn't seriuos and easy to deal with, but he certainly hasn't changed in any way except for the nose and his weight is 250g just like it was the first time I checked him a while ago so I think he's right where he needs to be.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 06:44:12 PM »
Glad you are still going to get his respiratory system checked.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 09:22:54 PM »
Let us know what the vet says, I have not seen anything like this.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 09:48:39 PM »
Yeah, he's still dry and acting normal today too and will probably take him in tomorrow or wed when sister has her days off. I never saw this with Nerd either but he did have a few times where he would have a pretty wet sneeze but can't remember him having a runny nose even when he really was sick. the cooler house with low humidity seems to be helping anyways.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »
Terry, how is Lurch now? 

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 04:29:10 PM »
He's doing fine, like nothing ever happened and we both were busy at work plus trying to sell a car that I know we have a buyer for so waiting on the vet visit for now. Both nares appear to be normal and dry and he's still doing the same as he always has so do want to get him in still but doesn't seem to be a life or death emergency. I think our vet lady will be happy to see our new fid as she thought Nerd was sweet as she remembered him from before he was sick and that's what she said, even after he tried to take a chunk out of her in fear.
Still not looking forward to stuffing him in his carrier either so hope that goes without too much blood shed and will have to warn her he's quick and will bite :shocking:
Village Idiot

Offline Fuzzy

• Egg
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 07:31:09 PM »
Glad Lurch is doing fine now.  Kobe has allergies so often wakes with a runny nose and sneezing especially in the spring.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 07:48:36 PM »
Thanks for that, I'm thinking that's what's going on with him seeing how he actually sneezes less then Nerd bird did. But it seems when it gets hot and humid in here he gets the runny nose going, but he sits there otherwise acting and breathing like normal.
Selling a extra car and some special parts so will finally have some extra money and we'll take him in after we get all that settled and see what up. Sure hope we don't have to give him anything, stuffing him in the carrier should be enough fun anyways.
Village Idiot