Author Topic: Recommend play toys  (Read 2969 times)

Offline fltt

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Recommend play toys
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:14:54 AM »
Hi everyone new to this forum and also a new owner.
I wanted to know what Blue Head Pionus like to play with.
He really isn't playing with anything in the cage. He did eat and he loves to sit on my and my wifes shoulder.
Here is a pic of Leonard he is 5 months. We have had him 2 days now.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Recommend play toys
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »
My Maxi loves to attack his big string hanging ball, climb on his boing, and ring bells and beat them up. Every bird is a individual so your guy might like completely different things but I think most like this kind of stuff and Nerd used to like a wire ball he could pick up and drop and shove around too.
I'm sure others will jump in with other good toys and suggestions their guys like.
Village Idiot

Offline fltt

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:17:06 PM »
Thanks Dartman.
Any place online that has a good selection and price for toys and play gym.
There are so many to choose from.
Thanks Floyd

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 05:35:09 PM »
There are a lot. Jan sells some toys too on her Blues bird site that is part of her sig though I think she's winding it down. We usually just see something at the Petco near here when we stock up and get it for him but haven't bought anything new in a long time.
Folks do like to change out toys so the critters don't get bored but my guy seems suspicious of anything new so we try not to mess with his world too much.
Village Idiot

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:55:33 PM »

Well ........ all birdies can all be different in what they like.  Because your BH is young, he can learn to play with a variety things.  Who ever the breeder was, is where it all starts.  I know when I use to raise baby Pionus, I offered them various items, gave them loose toy parts so they could learn to hold items in their footie.  If your BH is a bit shy on items or toys you offer then you will need to introduce things gradually if needed.  You can play with a toy or toy parts in front of him, things that we have sometimes in our hands tends to look interesting to them!

Yes, Dartman is right, I do sell bird toy items but my site is closed for the month of July for vacation/time off.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 01:37:33 PM »
Try mysafebirdstore.com. baby pi take a while to settle in and may not know how to play with toys yet. Offer shreddable toys, soft wood toys, bells, foot toys like little sneakers and crocs. Stuff toys with treats to encourage playing.

I bought my pi home at 4 months....do not worry if yours doesn't do much at first. They like to take in the surroundings before getting active

Your baby is so cute
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline fltt

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 06:55:21 PM »
Thanks maxsmom and Jan he did start playing with the wood blocks and rope thing in his cage.
He is very well behaved so far. My wife and I are going to build a play gym for him this weekend.
I will post pictures when we are done.

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 09:22:50 AM »

Yes, please post pics of your play gym area, that will be fun!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com