Author Topic: Poe and I are back!  (Read 17201 times)

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
Poe and I are back!
« on: April 06, 2013, 12:47:06 AM »
 :hello1: Hi everyone!
It's been a while since I was last being here. I'm bit sad that the forum is not taking off like before so I will make more effort to post often.

My work have been insanely busy and barely had time to even go online at home... :(

Poe is doing well and showing some signs of being "teenager" with bit of territorial behavior. Nothing serious, just within normal natural behavior of bird his age as he is reaching two in a month.
He has learned so much words and surprises my husband and I daily. His recent favorite words are "Chubby chubby Kiwi"...... Very rude! I told him its rude to call lady "chubby". He also learned to combine words and make them his own. It's creepy because he put together words correctly often. For example, when he wants me to pick him up, "Kiwi, good boy! Step up!" When he wants almond, he would come to us and starts whole routine of his tricks as he says the commands which I use to train him, then after the routine, he says "amond, amond" well, he says almond wrong..... :icon_mrgreen:

He is currently entered in pets photo contest at westhawaiitoday.com. So please check him out and vote for him if you have a chance :)
His videos are also posted in Youtube too, if you are interested.

Please let me know how you and your fids are doing!

Miss you all.

Kiwi

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Poe and I are back!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 03:29:07 AM »
 When they put words together in their own way and create context it blows my mind. This post encourages me to keep training! Incredible to be charged with nourishing these amazing birds.

Welcome back and keep posting
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »
 :hello1: Good to see you, and glad Poe is doing so well.  He sounds like he is thriving and using his language skills to his best advantage.  My zon says,"Love you, love you", when she sees me slicing cheese.  She knows how to get what she wants :wink1:   No doubt Poe does, too.

I agree about posting more.  It's a nice forum.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »
Hi and welcome back! :-)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 04:30:38 PM »
 :hello1: Lurch does the play with words too, pretty funny, plus the pirate gibberish. Welcome back and post away :icon_mrgreen:
Village Idiot

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 08:58:13 PM »
When they put words together in their own way and create context it blows my mind. This post encourages me to keep training! Incredible to be charged with nourishing these amazing birds.

Welcome back and keep posting

Hi Maxmom,

Thank you!

The funny thing is, Poe would never learn any words I want him to learn to say....lol He has his own "taste" for words and he pick and choose words he learns. One day I came home from work and he said " Hi Beautiful!" That is not something I say often at all. Then one day he calls me "Poopy Kiwi"....
My bathroom is in upstairs and when I go to bath room, I tell Poe "mommy is going to go pee pee and be right back" so now, every time I go upstairs, Poe asks "Kiwi Pee Pee?"

I believe Poe learns more from the normal daily conversations between my husband and I than what we try to teach him. Just like Alex the African gray!

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »
:hello1: Good to see you, and glad Poe is doing so well.  He sounds like he is thriving and using his language skills to his best advantage.  My zon says,"Love you, love you", when she sees me slicing cheese.  She knows how to get what she wants :wink1:   No doubt Poe does, too.

I agree about posting more.  It's a nice forum.

Hi Momazon!

Good to hear from you :) I'm sure you get suckered into giving Zon a treat when she says "love you". We are blessed to share our life with wild animal which can actually say they love us in our language!

Kiwi

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 09:02:08 PM »
Hi and welcome back! :-)

Thanks Eloy!

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 09:06:24 PM »
:hello1: Lurch does the play with words too, pretty funny, plus the pirate gibberish. Welcome back and post away :icon_mrgreen:

Hi Dartman!
Good to hear from you! Yea, Poe has pirate voice too. It's funny because he looks like a little baby with his big puppy eyes but he sounds like an old heavy drinking and smoking pirate! :biglaughing:

Let me know how Lurch is doing more too!

Kiwi

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 06:27:35 PM »
Adam, my blue head greets me every morning with 'hi baby'. My young bronze wing will sit there saying 'good boy, good good boy'

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 09:43:42 PM »
Mom and step dad made a semi surpise visit today and he got all excited sitting on the back of his favorite chair and started rattling off everything he knows, but not very clearly, more pirate then anything. I could make out hi baby boy, hi sweet heart, hello, and a bunch of his words that run together and mom was expecting me to translate :biglaughing:
He seems to like visitors anyways and knows mom and dad, I think he likes them in his own little way.
Village Idiot

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »
Cetan,

I love that your vid calls you baby! So cute  :wink1:

Dartman,

My Poe is absolutely a perfect little bird to us, but the only thing is he is so shy. We take him out with us every where in his travel cage and he does ok, but when some one comes to our home, he freaks out. The other day we had a cable guy came and Poe flipped out. He was screaming like bloody murder and jumping around ( because he does not know how to fly) then ran up stairs where his cage is. We are trying to get him used to others, but he is very timid and scared of every one other than my husband and I.....  :(
I wish he could enjoy some company of others like Lurch.... He is so talented and adorable but only we can witness his playful cute personality.... :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 05:44:57 PM »
Well don't feel bad, Nerd was always suspicious of anyone he didn't know and would do the wheeze and turn his back on them, sometimes he even did it with me if he couldn't see me clearly. However he would mostly be quiet and eye the strangers suspiciously from over his shoulder. Once he saw someone enough he would tend to come over and hang out with me, and maybe let them give him treats but it would take a long time and some friends he never trusted at all.
Village Idiot

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »
Dartman,

A lot able man came again and Poe really freaked out again..... I accept him for who he is, but the timid nature and all but it would be better for him if Poe wasn't scared all the time :(
Thanks for the tip and I will see how it goes. After all we have (at least I hope) years to go :)

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »
Happy hatch day Poe!
Poe. Just turned 2 years okd today. My husband and I love him more and more everyday