Author Topic: Poe and I are back!  (Read 17197 times)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Poe and I are back!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 01:12:23 PM »
  :hatchday3  :hatchday1: :cool1: :hatchday1: :cool1: :hatchday3:
Happy Hatchday, springtime is wonderful!  All these babies are growing up :)

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 09:05:15 PM »
Thank you Momazon!
I cannot believe he is Already 2 years old :) I am so grateful that he came all the way from Florida to join our flock or actually we joined his flock since he acts like a boss :icon_mrgreen:
My husband and I look forward to celebrate many more Hatchday with Poe.

Let me know how your babies are doing everyone!

Kiwi

Offline silverwolfnykia

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »
Welcome back as well Kiwi and Poe! Glad to hear all is well down in Hawaii! How is Poe doing with his second year molt? Rio has just finished his second head of blue growth, but still working on the wings, tail and belly. We are going to let him keep his wings this year for flight recall training along with our CAG. Glad to hear from you!

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 10:02:41 PM »
Hi Nykia!

Good to see you here  :wink1:
Poe actually had two molts since He joined us. Maybe due to him living in Tropic?
His head is almost completely bright blue with dark grey circle on his cheeks. Looking very much like full grown BHP, but I can see that his head will be more blue soon for he is starting his molting again.
His wings are still clipped but not severely. He has good lifts. I let his wings grow last time, but since he really does not know how to fly Nd the only time he fly is when he is freaked out of something, it seems to be very dangerous so we decided to keep them clipped for now. My husband and I would love to see him fly freely one day, so eventually we are hoping that he will gain more confidence and teach him to fly though.

How's Rio? I would love to hear about him more! It is so interesting to hear about another BHP in same age group as Poe.
Poe is very very talkative. I think his personality is naturally skittish and shy but make up with his amazing talking ability :icon_mrgreen:

Kiwi

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
Help!! Poe is sick!!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 07:52:48 PM »
I just got home and all of sudden he seems really ill. He has only passed urine all day ( all I see is no poop but urine on his paper) and he is fluffed up with clear liquid dripping from beak. He looks weak and not even moving around. He was perfectly fine last night but my husband told me that this morning he seems bit tired and poop was watery.
I am trying to get a hold of my vets but being Friday late afternoon, having a challenge.

Please give me any advise!!

Kiwi

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 08:13:04 PM »
The poor little guy needs attention right now. Probably needs antibiotics or anti fungal meds and maybe a shot to get him turned around. As I'm sure you know when they actually look sick they are REALLY sick as they hide sickness well in order to survive in the wild.
I'd find a emergency vet that can see him right now that knows birds as this doesn't sound good, hoping and praying for the best for him.
Village Idiot

Offline Al_96789

• Egg
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 09:00:29 PM »
I guess you are on the Big Island. We have a vet that we normally go to, but there are two avian vets on Oahu I have used. Look for another avian vet with 24 hour service. It can't wait!
Carla - BW

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 12:42:55 AM »
Thank you Dartman and Carla,

Im at vet right now. He is doing bit better seems like. Vet is checking his droppings for infection wtc. I have a wonderful avian vet here on Big island and she is working hard for him right now. Thank you again, you have no idea how comforting it is to have fellow bird lovers always there to give advise......

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 01:39:24 AM »
Please keep us posted, very worried for your sweet boy <3

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 02:16:47 AM »
Just leaving vet and heading home for 45 min drive....and I have to go to work tomorrow 4am! Well, Poe has pretty bad yeast level so he will be treated with yeast infection meds. He staryes to pass some green poo while in vets officeand acted pretty much like his normalself. Im so grateful for my avian vet for seeimg him this late and she even made an arrangement to have another avian vet to look after Poe while she is off island for two days. We still have to mon itor him but most likely yeast infection. Where i live have been really humid and hot for the past week so it may have something to do with it.

Thank you again for all of you and really, you have no idea how much yoir replies mean to me!

Kiwi

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 09:46:59 AM »
 :thumbsup: :cool1: Well that's great and thanks for the update. Sounds like Poe will be back to his old self in no time now that the issue is found and getting sorted out.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 10:23:43 AM »
So glad to hear this. It makes me realize I know very little about avian yeast infections. I wonder if Benebac would help? Got some for my babies and give it once a week.

Offline Al_96789

• Egg
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »
Glad to hear he's doing better. Carla had an ecoli infection when we rescued her. I know what you're going through. Please keep us posted.
Carla - BW

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »
So glad to hear Poe is doing better.

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
Thank you all!
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 09:16:40 PM »
Thank you all for your kind posts!

It was really scary experience..... Poe was completely fine on Thursday. Normal droppings, normal food consumption, and normal behavior. No sign of any illness. I meticulously monitor his weight, droppings, and food consumption daily ( so much so that my friends call me real crazy bird girl) so I am usually really good at noticing any changes, but this time he just became so sick overnight.
Yesterday, he was vomiting, I mean projectile vomit! No feces in droppings all water, eyes were half closed but both leg on perch, fluffed up, and usually super talkative Poe didn't even mAke a peep. He just sat there, no movement...... He was so weak that he barely can hold on to perch. Usually when you see a bird in that condition, pretty much life or death.

But thanks to my amazing vet and Poe's super strength.... He seems much much better today. I got home from work and he yelled " hi Kiwi, come here! Chubby chubby Kiwi!"...... How rude of him to call me chubby chubby after taking him to vet in the middle of the night and worked 10 hours with only 2 hours of sleep! But I have to say, the moment I heard him talk, I was just relieved. The silence of yesterday was making me anxious since Poe is constant chatterbox when he is well.

I'm really careful about his food, cleanliness, etc, but I will have to be extra careful during the hot summer months in Hawaii. I was told that little drops of  organic apple cider vinegar in drinking water can be very good for preventing yeast in crop.

Poe is now walking behind my iPad as I type this post chanting " peekaboo, peekaboo peekaboo peekaboo, " as he appear and disappear from my sight behind iPad.....

Kiwi