Author Topic: Poe and I are back!  (Read 17176 times)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Poe and I are back!
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 09:23:42 PM »
Nerds brother ferd bird was same way, perfectly fine in the morning, sick in the afternoon, and dead by 8pm that night. That was over 20 years ago, we did take him to the vet but he was so sick so fast, plus they really weren't a avian vet so he passed away that fast, very sad.
Glad the Poe is MUCH better an he should turn around fast now but just keep a good eye on him like your already doing, good luck little man.
Village Idiot

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 01:46:17 AM »
So happy for you both! :-)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 04:42:58 AM »
Wonderful news! So glad you got to vet quickly
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2013, 09:46:42 PM »
PHEW! Glad to hear that Poe got better! I have to remember the apple cider vinegar thing with my birds. My local store carries it now, so there is no excuse not to get it, LOL! :icon_mrgreen:
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »
I am so glad to hear Poe is doing much better.

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Poe just got his final test result back and he is as healthy as he can be! I'm so relieved....

I have been giving Poe some apple cider vinegar in his drinking water, a few drops is enough, but he doesn't seem to mind at all.
I also been even more careful about his fresh foods for where we live can be really hot and humid.

His weight went down about 10g during the time he was not well, but slowly coming back up. This experience really reminded me how important is it to have
a good bird vet, if possible have another for a back up. I called a few vets the night Poe was throwing up as I could not get a hold of my regular vet right away,
but I was completely blown away by how little they seem to know about birds and I can tell they were really hesitant to even see Poe due to lack of knowledge.

Have a nice summer everyone :)

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »
Poe eats mini peppers with manner :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2013, 09:02:12 PM »
Sparkly eye pretty boy enjoying a drive...

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 10:09:33 AM »
What a wonderful checkin! Yes it is scary when one's avian vet is not available. I have been there. So hard to have suitable back up vet and of course our birds get sick on off hours. I also believe in unpasterized apple vinegar in water to kill bacteria,etc.  Poe looks great!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2013, 12:52:08 PM »
Awww, he is so sweet!  I just love the pic with the fork.  He is gorgeous.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »
He is looking great, so happy and handsome. Of course I am biased but Blue Headed Pionus are some of the most gorgeous birds.

Offline Kiwiwade

• Egg
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »
Thank you all! I know, I am biased too Cetan, but I think BH Pionus are really really pretty birds. Their vivid blue head, big puppy eyes, and just overall chubby look will melt anyone's heart!
I call Poe " Puppy" sometimes because of his big eyes and now he says " Hi Puppy"...
I waited 8 years to get BH Pionus before Poe and I knew this is the bird for me, I was totally right!

Organic Apple Vinegar smells horrible in a bottle, but a few drops does not change taste of water and Poe doesn't mind at all....hahaha

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 01:35:11 AM »
Yes I had been told by my vet one teaspoon  of unpasteurized apple vinegar to a pint of water. I think he said to use this for two weeks on a quarterly basis. Said it kept his flock healthy and is preventative

Offline silverwolfnykia

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 03:56:47 PM »
Aww! glad to see Poe in his new blue feathers! Also glad to hear he is feeling much better that sickness must have been so hard for you to go through!! My african grey broke a blood feather yesterday I had a mini-heart attack. Poe is such a handsome little guy :)