Author Topic: vacation?  (Read 3151 times)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
vacation?
« on: April 22, 2013, 10:31:47 AM »
What do members do with their birds when they have to travel or wish to take a holiday?  When it was just the zon, she went with me.  We hate to leave our fids and do not know any experienced bird people who would be able to handle their routine. 

Offline E

• Nestling
Re: vacation?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »
I take them with me. :-)
I don't trust anyone or don't know anyone that can handle birds. (or give the bird the care that they deserve)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 03:13:46 PM »
A family member or friend comes over and changes food and water and hangs out for a while. Haven't had a vacation in so long I don't know what we'd do now as usually the family goes together somewhere, of course that takes money.
I don't know what Lurch would do if he went with us but he was OK enough in the carrier on the ride home and a stop at little sisters so she could meet him. Of course he was pretty shell shocked about all the new things so who knows now that he feels at home here.
Village Idiot

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
My mother is in very bad health and I go to see her about every 6 to 8 weeks for about 4 days at a time. I have a friend come over and change the papers in the cage and give them fresh water and food every day. The lamps are all on timers and so is the TV so everything goes on and off at the same time every day (even when I am home). My friend who had been doing it was away for a while, and while she does it to help me she is not a bird person and is a little afraid of Adam my blue head Pi. Last few times I went I asked another friend who has 17 birds of her own including a special needs Hahn's macaw (Kermit) and she is just wonderful with them. She lets them out to play and fly around and my green cheek conure who usually bites everyone will calmly sit on her shoulder and 'help' with the cages. We also use the same vet and she would know what to do in an emergency. When one of my budgies was sick a few weeks ago she brought over a lot of alternative therapies to use and he has made an amazing recovery.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
Sounds like we all do similar things.  I hat to leave the birds when they love to go with us so much. 

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 02:00:26 AM »
I have had an experienced bird sitter come feed, play with and let my birds exercise 2x day if I am away. I am going to beach for week this summer. My plan is to bring my 2 boys as I am renting an apartment....hoping it works out. I was really excited when I made the plan to bring them and hope it works out.....concern is noise

I used to have friends who would bird sit my tiels at their homes but my friends are still in mourning of my tiels and not ready to engage my new birds
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto