Author Topic: cockatiels and pionus parrots  (Read 4040 times)

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
cockatiels and pionus parrots
« on: May 11, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post this, so in health/vet care it goes, as it does revolve around pionus health.

Question to those with both dusty birds (such as tiels) and pionus in the same home - how do you handle the dust? I have allergies to animal dander so I have two large hepa filters beside the cockatiel aviary/flight cage to control dust. It works so well that my allergies rarely go off. I have five cockatiels and a green cheek conure. How would you handle my situation in order to prevent respiratory problems?
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: cockatiels and pionus parrots
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 09:59:13 PM »

Oh, that is a problem.  Running the filters is a big help if they are a good filter.  I have asthma too.  Giving spray baths will help a little on controlling the powdery dander.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »
Thanks for the response! (And thanks to the mod who moved the thread to it's correct spot! LOL!)

I'm especially worried about my future pi as I have so many cockatiels. But if I have two air purifiers going they SHOULD be okay. Or so my reasoning goes.

Sigh...so much stuff to think about and Bulkhead isn't even hatched yet, LOL!
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »
I have read that a box fan in a window, facing out, draws much of the dusty air out.  The hot climate here prevents me from trying this.  Good luck with this difficult issue!

Offline Lupe Banda

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 11:14:23 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post this, so in health/vet care it goes, as it does revolve around pionus health.

Question to those with both dusty birds (such as tiels) and pionus in the same home - how do you handle the dust? I have allergies to animal dander so I have two large hepa filters beside the cockatiel aviary/flight cage to control dust. It works so well that my allergies rarely go off. I have five cockatiels and a green cheek conure. How would you handle my situation in order to prevent respiratory problems?

Same problem is with me handling the dusty birds leads to allergies. So, because of this most of the time I avoid the birds.
----------
cup cellulite

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 09:40:23 AM »
A good air purifier should help. I have friends who have multiple cockatoos and use Austin Air - expensive but the filters only need replacing every 5 years and I know a distributor who gives a good discount for parrot owners

Offline dunnsfarm

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 06:53:50 PM »
I have 2 suggestions.

An oreck air filter is great....I have one in my "puppy" room.

Another thing that works great (I have in my kitchen)....take a box fan, attach an air filter for a furnace.  I use 20x20.  Just run the fan.  I keep it by our cage.  You will be amazed at what it picks up. 

Hope that helps some.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 12:35:17 PM »
RE: Box fan with a filter on it - someone on several Facebook groups I am on said a few years ago she was doing that and it caused the box fan to overheat (and it was a new fan) and it caused a house fire, she came home to a burned out house and multiple dead birds