Author Topic: Gas heated homes?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
Gas heated homes?
« on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:28 AM »
Hello!

So I'm moving out this August and I'm moving into a house that is gas heated I believe. I'll have to double check... But I'm just worried about having my pi there with the gas in the home. I know we have gas here, my sisters pointed out, and nothing's happened but I've lost two birds that meant a lot to me due to illness they were born with, so I'm trying very hard to do everything possible to try and keep him as long as I can.

Is there anything I should know about gas heated homes? I know people aren't just NOT going to get a bird because they live in one and I know people have them in houses like this as well.

Thanks!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Gas heated homes?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
Just make sure you have one of the carbon dioxide detectors installed, most newer rentals and house for sale have to have them. Our house has 2 sets that they installed just before it closed and we took over and moved in. Our old rental we added one ourselves then later owner got a property manger and she brought enough for three rooms so I added them and they were 10 year battery combo units. Wish we had the same ones here but combo or not at least they work and the batteries on the smoke detector ones died early last year and did last about a year. You MIGHT be able to get some kind of gas detector too if your really worried but I think just making sure the bird isn't close to the furnace area or stove should do it. 
Hope your able to buy the house or at least it's nice and the rents low, good luck, I hate moving...
Village Idiot

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:39:01 AM »
Rent's really low, I've already signed the lease so it's a sure thing. (: It's an older house, so I don't remember seeing the carbon monoxide detectors. I'm going to have to install them. My room is on the first floor, the only room on the first floor since I'm the only female living in this house more than likely. Haha. But the kitchen is on the first floor too, however the stove is Electric and not gas I was told. So hopefully all is well. (: Thanks for the advice!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »
I have a leaky gas stove, so I keep the fan on when I cook, and the kitchen window open at least a little.  Also bought extra smoke detectors and a CO2 detector of my own.  Costco had a pack of three smoke detectors for a reasonable price.The only problem is that Dobby and our senegal imitate all the electronics in the house very well, so when I get the frying pan out, they both sound off like the fire department. This is not funny. I am a good cook!!!!

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
Haha!
I'll find something to use to help monitor the levels. (: I'm just concerned about him, of course.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »
This house here is all gas appliances. All houses were built that way before I'm not sure what year, but MANY homes in the world are gas. You can make an appt. with the gas company to come out and detect and fix if you have a leak. You most likely would be able to smell it if you did. Otherwise it's fine. Make sure pilots are always lit.

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 02:18:09 PM »
Yeah, I know that. (: It's an older house, and as I said I know tons of people have them and still have parrots/pets. Haha! I'll definitely do that, thank you so much for the help and suggestion. (:

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »
Good idea, Julie, I forget they will come out to check things.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 03:01:18 AM »
Agree with advice. Have furnace etc checked and get a monitor
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto