Author Topic: The rescue Amazon who turned out to be a Pionus  (Read 15777 times)

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
The rescue Amazon who turned out to be a Pionus
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:19:35 PM »
Hello I am new to this forum... and I hope it is okay that I start out by asking a few questions?

A couple of weeks ago an aquaintance of mine contacted me and asked me if my boyfriend and I would be interested in adopting a rescue Amazon Parrot. The parrot was approximately 14 years old and was supposed to be slightly aggressive, highly understimulated, and very resentful of men. We talked it over and decided to accept the adoption, however when the "Amazon Parrot" arrived it soon became clear to us that it was no Amazon at all. Actually it was a parrot species none of us had ever seen before. After looking through books and web sites we finally found "our" new parrot. It is a Maximilian Pionus. Don't you aggree?

So right now I am trying to learn all that I can about this particular parrot species.

The parrot has spent it life so far in a cage which is far too small for it and has never been allowed outside the cage. It cannot fly and it is clearly very understimulated. When you present it with toys it doesn't seem to know what to do with it. Furthermore it is way too skinny.

My experience so far (we have only had it for a couple of days) is that it not aggressive but seems a bit intimidated by my boyfriend if he stands too close to the cage. Right now it is just a bit stressed out by all the new things and though you can hand feed it you cannot touch it. It gets mad if we try (I am guessing it is simply scared so we try to take it slow).

Tonight I tried feeding it popcorn and that was a huge hit. He sort of lightened up when I fed him the popcorn and talked to him in a high voice at the same time. Then he started waving his foot and "answered" me back with soft little sounds.

So it is generally a sweet and curious parrot.

But the question is:

How do I make it interested in toys and activities to stimulate its intelligence? Is it just a matter of patience and time? Or is there something I can do to help?

Furthermore what are the chances that I will acutally be able to make it like me enough to let me touch it and let it outside of the cage?

And last but not least is there any chance I will be able to find it a mate once we know its' sex even though it is 14 years old?

I am sorry about all the questions but I have zero experience with Pionus Parrots and I just want to do all the best for my new friend.  :)

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: The rescue Amazon who turned out to be a Pionus
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »
Yes, right you are!  That is 100% Maximilian Pionus!  It's going to take much time and patience on your part.  Let him get acquainted slowly with you and his new surroundings.  You can hang a toy or two in his cage and see how he reacts ... should he get freaked out by a toy, then remove it and wait and try again a day or two later.  Start out with a smaller not so big type of toy, this way he may not be so intimidated by the toy. 

He may not have been handled much and may not be use to hands.  If he ends up liking you then you might be able to slowly make progress with him letting you touch him or even pick him up.  He needs to gain trust from you.  This all could take a week, a month or even 6 months or as much as a year.  Depends on his personality and so much more.  Keep in mind, when Pionus parrots get nervous or excited they make a wheezing sound which sounds a lot like they are having trouble breathing.  This is a well known common fact and trait in Pionus parrots.  So if he does it a lot then he might be stressing over something.  Of course, you have to know if he is healthy and really does not have a respiratory problem.  Might be a wise choice if you get him vet checked for at least a well bird exam.  If you can afford it get some blood tests done to further know.

He does look thin in his keel area meaning the chest/breast bone looks to be thin, so he does need to gain weight.

Welcome aboard!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply.

He has made the hissing sound you mention twice when my boyfriend has tried to reach out for him. I figured that meant he was displeased with the situation because that is what his body language indicated as well so we stepped back and so far just talk to him an feed him snacks. Some snacks he doesn't mind to be hand fed and he doesn't react if we put our hands inside his cage as long as we don't get too close. That is understandable, of course, we are still strangers to him. So we are just taking one step at a time.

Thanks for the advice on the toys... I'll try that out.

What can I feed him to make him gain weight? Besides sunflower seeds?

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of Pionus Parrots. I adopted an older blue head Pionus 3 years ago and was told he was very aggressive. I just took it slow with him and would leave the cage door open whenever I am home. It took a while but one day I looked over and he was on top of his cage. He still wont step up but will let me pick him up if we need to go to the vet for a checkup or trim. He loves having his head scratched. He still doesnt play with a lot of toys, unlike my bronze wing wild boy who should have been named beaver boy. He will nibble on some wooden toys once in a while but he does love to chew on the vine balls and rings. He also will chew on yucca wood discs. I got him a fairly large cage with a playtop so he has a place to hang out. Most Pionus parrots are not very picky eaters. My blue head had an overgrown beak and symptoms of fatty liver disease due to being on an all seed diet when I got him so I immediately put him on pellets and he dove right in. He likes Zupreem natural but also gets Roudybush AL for his liver. The one treat he loves is Nutriberries and since they are enriched and he does love them. Both of my Pionus boys will run back into their cages if I put a few Nutriberries into the food bowl so it is great when I have to go to work. My blue head loves unsalted pistachios and gets some every other day and my bronze win loves almonds in the shell. Fresh cooked grains and chopped veggies and greens should also be part of the daily diet along with a little fruit.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 10:51:07 PM »
Aww, you are wonderful to accept him on such uncertain terms! 

Our birds respond best when we sing to them, and trust me, they do not care if I am on pitch or not!  It is their language, and they love it.  Also, baby talk them.  It is all about the song and your approach.  These birds are the sweetest of the sweet, and they respond to affection and love.  We talk to ours constantly and it has made a strong bond.

Please keep us posted.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:07:37 AM »
Welcome!  When you are able I recommend a cage 32x 23 with less than 1 inch spacing. Try putting popcorn in foraging toys. See what other treats he eats. This will encourage him. Give him time but a new appropriate size cage and stimulating toys will help. Pi adjust slowly at times. I would concentrate on getting him well adjusted rather than breeding. Check out Good Bid Inc for advice. Try to get him on as healthy a diet as you can...introduce a variety of pellets and veggies. Maxi pi can be sweet.....you may need patience and time.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 01:24:24 AM »
Congrats to a beautiful Maxi! ♥
And welcome to the forum.
You have already get very good advice, take it slow and give him a lot of love and he will never forget that. ♥

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 05:05:38 AM »
Once again thank you so much for your replies.  :)

Momazon, it is funny, actually, that you recommend singing. This morning - before I opened this forum and read your post - I was actually singing when I fed Max (that is what I am calling him so far - I am guessing he could be Maxine if he turns out to be female) and he responded to that at once even more than when I do the babytalk which he also likes. Most parrots I have been in contact with for some reason love the babytalk. But when I started singing Max started bobbing his head from side to side in the cutest way. So we are defintely going to do that some more. He is so adorable and even though I have only had him for a few days and never before that met a Pionus I am completely in love already.  :heart:

I am already looking for at bigger cage, Maxsmom - hopefully he'll have one before the week is over. I hate to see him in that small cage and he does not trust us enough to venture outside it yet. Birds need space to exercise their wings.

What is the best thing to feed him to make him gain some more weight?

Right now he is fed a mixture of different seeds and nuts i.e. sunflower seeds and peanuts and of course lots of fruits and vegies. On the info sites I have found on the internet most seem to recommend pellets instead of seeds and nuts - would it be better if I change into pellets alongside the fresh food?

As for toys I'll try out the goodie ball with snacks in it. Perhaps he'll like that.

I am used to parrots but I must admit I feel a bit out on a limb here because Max is my first rescue parrot and the first Pionus I have ever met. However I just want to give him all the best.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 06:24:44 AM »
When you get a new cage I would suggest one with a playtop - that way he can have a place to go and hang out yet still feel comfortable. I have 23x32 cages with 5/8" (or it may be 3/4") bar spacing, that is the smallest I would go but unfortunately many bigger ones have 1" spacing. I would also say check a lot of websites because pricing can really vary and some have free shipping, others while it may seem like a good price charge shipping.  The cage I have is this one http://fenixfeeders.com/34X24BIG.html which is now cheaper at this site than direct from Centurion and similar to this http://www.mybirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=238332&product=238370
I would try for pellets to be about 40-50% of the diet with seeds and nuts as a treat. My boys like smaller size pellets, I use the Roudybush small and Zupreem natural conure size. Some people like Harrisons because it has a lot of organic ingredients but my boys didnt like them. And Nutriberries (parrot size) are a great treat, I give them about 5-7 each day.
Also try to get a variety of perches. All my birds love their rope comfy perches and for the Pionus boys I have the large size diameter, They also like cholla wood perches and most natural perches except manzanita which is very smooth. One place I get percehs from is http://www.thelittleperchcompany.com/ the woman who runs it is really nice and as a small business I like to support her

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »
Thank you for the links, Cetan.  :)

But I completely forgot to mention that I am Danish and live in Denmark. So some things I cannot buy through US birdstores because they will never make it through customs. But I'll take a look around. Otherwise I am planning a visit to some of our local birdstores to see if I can find a suitable cage and some pellets.

So far Max does not seem too reluctant to try out new food so hopefully it will not be too difficult to adjust his diet to pellets and less seeds and nuts.

I have spent a lot of time with him tonight just sitting next to his cage babytalking, whistling, and singing to him. He seems to like that a lot and sometimes he "talks" back with adorable little sounds.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 04:00:56 PM »
Eloy is a Swedish Pionus   :bluedaisy:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
Peanuts and seeds are not advised as staple food. Try sweet potato, red bell pepper, broccoli, beans, peas, bean sprouts, berries, oatmeal, pellets
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 12:41:48 AM »
Perhaps the peanuts and seeds diet is the reason why Max is so thin. From what I know that is what he has been living on in his old home since he was a baby. His seeds and nuts mixture has been suplemented with millet as well as a little bit of fruit and vegetables... or at least that is what I was told by the people who brought him to me.

Right now I am working on finding the best kind of pellets for him. I am stopping by a shop today which is specialized in different bird diets and I am hoping they can help me.

I have already bought a wide variety of fruts and vegetables, i.e. broccoli, red bell pepper, fresh figs, peas and three different kinds of berries.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 12:56:12 AM »
Eloy is a Swedish Pionus   :bluedaisy:
Ja det är jag! Yes I'm! :-)

Jag köper allt mitt foder via Danmark på Zooplus.dk
Köper nästan bara Versel-laga produkter, såsom Amazon fröblandning, Nutribird pellets och som godis Exotic fruit.
http://www.zooplus.dk/shop/fugl/fuglefoder/papegoejefoder/prestige/187830
http://www.zooplus.dk/shop/fugl/fuglefoder/papegoejefoder/prestige/248858
http://www.zooplus.dk/shop/fugl/snacks_kiks/papegoeje/andre/251135

Ett jättebra foder att ge vid ruggning och om du vill han sätter mer hull är: http://www.zooplus.dk/shop/fugl/fuglefoder/papegoejefoder/andre/248795

I övrigt så rekommenderar jag att du ger han husmanskost, alltså vad du äter som är bra för han. Eloy äter vid middagsbordet och hans fjäderdräkt och hull är verkligen i topp. Jag tror mer på varierad kost och varken pellets eller fröblandningar till 100% är bra för dom på längre sikt.
Dom bästa pelletsen som finns är Harrissons. Problemet är bara att dom sällan vill äta dom.

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 01:37:59 AM »
Tusind tak, Eloy/Thank you so much, Eloy.  :)

Zooplus kender jeg godt - jeg vil skynde mig at kigge på dine links./I know Zooplus and will take a look at the links right away.  :)