Author Topic: The rescue Amazon who turned out to be a Pionus  (Read 15770 times)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: The rescue Amazon who turned out to be a Pionus
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »
Last year I had a Danish exchange student, and we had a wonderful year.  Now he is in law school in England.  Unfortunately, I did not learn much Danish!

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 01:02:48 PM »
This is a very good breakfast for you both. (hope you like porridge)
Oatmeal with blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. Yummi says both Eloy and I! ♥
(no you don't want to see pictures after Eloy have eaten.. :P )

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »
Danish is a difficult language to learn I've heard, Momazon. We have so many words that are the same but with different meanings and I can understand how that might seem confusing for someone who is not familiar with our language. But a lot of Danish youngsters travel to the US, the UK, or New Zealand as exchange students and for most of them it is a great succes. I wanted to go to the US as an exchange student when I was in high school but it was too expensive for my parents, unfortunately.

As for Max I have just bought these pellets that you recommended, Eloy: http://www.zooplus.dk/shop/fugl/fuglefoder/papegoejefoder/prestige/248858
I am trying to just give him a few pellets along with the seeds and nuts he is used to tomorrow and hope that he will respond well to them (at my local birdstore I could only get a bag of 10 kilos). I have also found a very good blend of seeds as a supplement when his current mix of seeds and nuts is used up. Also I bought some millets and a couple of "candy sticks" with dry fruits, seeds, and honey. They have turned out to be a huge succes. Probably not the healthiest thing in the world due to the high amount of sugar but it works perfect as activation so as long as he does not get too much of stuff like that I think it will be okay.

By the way that breakfast looks yummy! I think Max and I will try that out this weekend.  :drool:

I also looked at some cages but didn't find the perfect one today.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 10:16:59 AM »
CHOP - which is a mixture of cooked grains and chopped veggies is usually a hit here in the morning for breakfast. The idea is you cook a mix of grains, chop different veggies fairly fine so they cant just pick out what they like since it it mixed together fairly well. There is a lot of information on CHOP at www.parrotnation.com   in the right hand column towards the bottom under the heading Videos: Instructional, Recipes and General

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 12:35:46 PM »
Thanks Cetan. I will try that out too.  :)

The vet came by to check on him today (thought it was best to bring the vet here not to cause unnecessary stress) and except from being too thin and lacking muscles from his 14 years of inactivity he was declared nice and healthy. The vet told me to give him some time to settle in and then try to let him out of the cage for som exercise. Furthermore I should feed him well (the food I'd bought yesterday was approved by the vet) and then watch him to see how he develops. If he does not look more fit in about a month or so the vet will take a look at him again to see if he perhaps needs de-worming, even though she said the probability of a worm infection was close to non-existant since Max had spent his entire life alone in a small cage. Also if he is not better in a month we'll take a blood sample for analysis... just to be absolutely sure we have ruled out all possible problems.

Right now he has got some unsalted popcorn and a willow branch for fun. At first he told the branch off for invading his cage..  :biglaughing: But then he decided that it was okay and started playing with it.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 01:10:57 PM »
Nice that the Vet visit you, here in Sweden (If you want a avian vet) that isn't possible.
I hope so that all Max need is love to gain more weight, and be with him (and talk gentle and sing for him) so much as you can but not to close.
I recommend sunlight and a lots of carotene. (carrots, cantaloupe melon, and other orange veggies and fruits.)
Pionus needs a lot of vitamin A+D. I forgot to mention that before.

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »
My vet is absolutely wonderful.  :) However I am also a good customer with 6 horses, a dog, 7 cats, a rabbit, 13 guinea pigs, and all of the birds - I am guessing that helps.  :shades:

I have learned something new about Max these past few days... He is extremely picky with his food and usually it is all the good stuff he refuses to eat. Do you have any ideas what to do about that?

He came with just one bowl for food but now I have bought him a second one so I can separate the seeds and pellets from the fresh food. It is my impression that he threw the fresh food to the cage floor so he could get to his beloved peanuts more easily. Should I perhaps remove all kinds of peanuts for a while to see if that helps him accept the new food? Even fresh food that he is supposed to be used to from his previous home ends up on the cage floor.

On a positive note Max seems to be beginning to like me. He clearly enjoys it when I sit next to his cage and sing to him, whistle to him, babytalk to him or just read out loud to him. I spend as much time with him as I possibly can.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »
Peanuts aren't really good for these guys because of the aspir that can be in the dust. I used to feed Nerd lots of them raw, in the shell, every day, then much later I found out the bad parts about them. As far as I know he never had it it and went 31 years with me but I don't think I'd make a habit of feeding lots of them to Lurch now. Nerd loved them, and Nutri Berries, so you might want to see if he likes Nutri Berries too if you can get them there and maybe you can back off on the peanuts. As long as you let him go at his own pace I'd think eventually he's going to decide your trust worthy and bond with you but it'll probably take some time
Village Idiot

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 02:27:47 PM »
No peanuts? Max will not be happy about that. He really loves his peanuts. :biglaughing:  But I'll make sure to back off on the peanuts from now on and only give him one or two as a special snack every once in a while. It is what's good for him that counts.

I have changed his diet into seeds mixed with pellets and lots of fresh fruit, berries, and vegetables along with a bit of grass and dandelions once in a while. Also I have tried making oatmeal for him twise but he doesn't seem to like that. Or at least he doesn't eat it anyways. Perhaps he doesn't know it's food? Maybe I should try putting a peanut or two in his bowl next time I give it a try.  :shades:

Also I have finally found the perfect cage for him. We hare picking it up along with some new toys  on Tuesday next week and I can't wait to give it to him. I just hate to see him in that small cage he came in.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 03:23:15 PM »
Nerd was the same way, he lived for in the shell peanuts and we gave him clean raw ones every day  as he would walk up and demand them everday, plus nutri berries, so like I said see if he likes those too as maybe it will make up for the peanuts. They MAY be OK once they are shelled though, not sure. Nerd loved to crunch them and he would make a bowel out of the shell to hold the kernel while he ate it. Luckily Lurch doesn't seem that excited about them but he'll kill for nutri berries and walnuts kernels. Nerd also really liked raw broccoli and apples.
Village Idiot

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 10:29:29 AM »
Right now Max doesn't seem too happy about anything raw - not even the things I was told he used to be fed in his old home. Today I have tried feeding him bean sprouts. Whether or not he likes them I don't know yet. But at least so far none of them has hit the cage floor so I am still hoping.

On the positive side he seems happy about his new mixture of seeds, pellets, and dry fruits and he is starting to make more contact with me. When I talk to him or sing to him he responds with little light sounds and he has started to approach me with a lot more interest. That makes me so happy.

If this progress continues I am moving him into a larger cage with more toys and space to exercise a little next week.  :clapping:

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 05:35:25 AM »
Well I just wanted to give you all a little update on Max.

Over the past week he has made a lot of positive progress. He has finally started to eat his raw food... or at least he eats corn, grapes, cubecumber, melon, banana, bean sprouts, and apples. Orange, broccoli, and tomatos still end up in the bottom of the cage. Tonight I plan to see how he likes a bit of pineapple. It seems he prefers something sweet and right now it is all about getting him to eat fresh food.

He also seems to like his sprouted seeds.

As for his behaviour he has become more extrovert and much more active and interested in communicating. I'd say his true personality has slowly begun to unfold. Therefore I decided that he had settled enough to move him to his new cage yesterday.

So far he doesn't seem too happy about his new home and he only seems to think it has one perch but I am sure he'll like it once he gets used to it. After all he now has more than twice the space he had before and this cage furthermore has the advantage that it opens in the top to fit in a playtop in time.

This picture was taken early this morning... as you can see Max was almost still sleeping.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
It is good that you are taking it slow for him.  He sounds like he is adjusting just fine.  Our Maxi prefers sweet, juicy fruit to anything else, but will eat other things.  Does not like broccoli, but loves snap peas. Still, kiwi and grapes make him happy every time.

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 01:23:47 PM »
By now it is 1 months since I adopted Max and the last couple of weeks he has really sort of "come out of his shell". He has started showing a funny kind of behavior, not something I have seen before so I can't really quite figure out if it is interest og perhaps a threat?

What he does is he climbs onto the bars of his cage, blows up his feathers around his head, and spreads out his tail. Sometimes he "twitters" a bit or make funny littels sqawky sounds, but not very loudly.

I took this photo today so you can see it:

Does any of you know what it means?

Aside from the behaviour described above he has also begun to make a lot more sound than earlier. When I play music to him or sing to him he loudly "twitters" along and looks quite content. I am so happy about that.  :)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 07:00:19 PM »
That would be the Pionus strut' Nerd did it, Lurch does it. I think it's kinda a I'm studly and this is my place display, plus it's probably a bit of a sexual maturity display too. I wouldn't touch him while he's doing it as he's probably pretty charged up and ready for a fight.
I could get away with touching Nerd but he totally trusted me and would put up with a lot from me.
Village Idiot