Author Topic: The rescue Amazon who turned out to be a Pionus  (Read 15780 times)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: The rescue Amazon who turned out to be a Pionus
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »
How is he doing now?  Hope he put on his happy hat   :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 12:11:17 AM »
Sorry I haven't been around for a while...

Max unfortunately is still doing his "angry bird" attitude when I approach the cage to feed him etc. But he accepts that I sit next to his cage and read a book and now I can sometimes pass the cage too without his getting angry with me. I take that as a progress even if it is a small one.

In his nearly 15 years Max has never seen another bird since he was hatched and left his parents but someone gave me the advice that the company of another bird might cheer him up a bit anyway.

What I really wanted was another Pionus but Pionus parrots (and especially Maximillian Pionus) are nearly impossible to come by around here so I have accepted an offer from my mom to adopt her baby grey cockatiel as soon as she is able to eat by herself and thereby ready to leave home (which is in a week or two). She will be placed in a cage close enough for Max to see her and hear her but not so they can touch each other as I am afraid he might act aggressively towards her and hurt her.

It it does not work out at all Maddie, as I have named her, will be given another cockatiel for company and moved into a larger aviary.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »
Sounds like a good plan.  Max might be thrilled with a roommate!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2013, 02:13:17 AM »
Sounds like Max is still adjusting to his new home. It really may take months and months. If he tolerares you without snapping - positively reinforce that. Positively reinforce ALL good behavior. Just leave the treat in a designated bowl on top of the cage. Whenever he does anything good. Say something like Good boy or Yes or click and drop a treat in bowl. It may take a while but he will catch on and his behavior will modify as he figures out what behavior gets a treat. And only give the treat when positive behavior occurs like tolerating you while sitting by cage.

It took my rescue a while but I finally got him taking treats in this way. Now he repeats behavior to get treat. Repears, repeats, repeats : )
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
It would be wonderful if all of this aggressiveness is just a fase in Max' adjusting to his new home. I really hope that because that would mean things will get better again.

Here are a few new photos of my beloved boy:

And then it was enough - this is the look saying: "All right, pal, get that camera out of my face now!"  :shades:

In spite of the challenges I really love this bird and I wish as much for him as for myself that he would learn not to be so grumpy all the time.

I'll try to reward him when he is not being aggressive as you recommend, however it is going to be a bit difficult as right now he gets angry every time I get near his cage. If I sit down next to the cage with a book he relaxes after af couple of minutes (perhaps that would be the time to reward him) but otherwise it is difficult to even feed him most days. Actually this morning he attacked the cup I use to pour the seeds into his food bowl so hard that he nearly tore it out of my hand.

But I am not giving up. If he doesn't get completely tame and trusting that is okay. As long as he is happy, active, and not aggressive it would be enough to make me happy. If he does get trusting enough to let me touch him, well... that would be nothing less than a dream come true.  :heart:

I am hoping to bring Maddie home with me this weekend when I am visiting my mom but it depens on whether she is ready to leave home by then. It would be so great if her company could inspire Max to be a bit happier and more active even though he is not used to other birds so far.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »
Sounds like he had a rough life for 15 yeats. It is going to take a lot of time for him to learn to enjoy life. A lot of time. Glad you are so devoted.

New bird should be for you not Max. I love tiels so I am sure you will enjoy new buddy. Just no guarantee Max will enjoy tiel's company.

Think about talking to parrot behavior cosultant like Lara Joseph, using Good Bird Inc dvds, trying AviCalm or other herbal remedies. Took a while for my Charlie to respond to positive reinforcement. He didn't get it at first

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2013, 07:14:35 PM »
Remember Lurch has been here since Xmas 2009 and is just now getting to be totally trusting and loving and he still has his moments. He spent today talking to me when I got home early then he wanted on my knee and slept and got scritches and treats. Take the long term approach, reward the good behavior and try to avoid the bad and he'll eventually let you earn his trust and love so hang in there. Once he come around you'll have a friend for life. Nerd was with me 31 years and the first years were just OK, then he realized he was stuck with me and we became best buds till the end and it's hard to remember what he was like at first  :thumbsup:
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2013, 12:07:34 AM »
So glad you posted pics, he does indeed have that wide-open-eyed look that they get when on alert. I sure hope he eases up, but good on you for hanging in there.  Like Dartman has proven, they do come around and are worth it!  Keep posting and thanks, I learn so much.

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2013, 01:02:20 AM »
First of all yes Maddie is first and foremost for me. My sister had a cockatiel once and she was adorable. Even though she had no trouble flying she for some reason always preferred to walk on the ground. I loved the little "tap tap tap" when she walked on the wooden floor in my mother's living room. And she would absolutely kill for popcorn - acutally it was because of her I got the idea to introduce Max to popcorn (not salted of course) and they are now his number one treat.  :shades:

I am just hoping that aside from Maddie's being my friend and playmate her company will also cheer Max up a bit.  :)

As for Max and his aggression I really want it to get better soon, of course, as getting my fingers attacked all the time is painful and not all that nice but on the other hand Max is going to stay with me for the rest of his life so we've got all the time in the world. :)

He has had a rough life so it is understandable that it takes some time to get him to trust me.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2013, 02:49:40 AM »
Both Maddue and Max are in great hands.

Great photos.

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2013, 02:18:47 PM »
Thank you, Maxsmom.  :)

Maddie moved in yesterday and though Max pretends not to have noticed her at all he has suspiciously spent the whole day close to Maddie's cage even if he usually prefers the opposite end of his cage.  :icon_mrgreen:

And I don't blame him... she really IS adorable.  :heart:

She's still a bit afraid of all the new stuff and I am guessing she might miss her family a bit but she is a sweetheart and I don't think it'll take me long to gain her trust.