Author Topic: Animal proteine  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
Animal proteine
« on: May 31, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »
How do you ensure that your parrots get enough animal proteine? What proteine sources do you use?

According to the books I have read about 10% of the parrot's diet should contain animal proteine. I have tried cheese but Max doesn't seem to like that very much. Or at least he hardly touched it.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Animal proteine
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 06:15:34 PM »
That is interesting, I have never heard that.  Where did you read it, and did the source suggest which type?  Mine only get cheese when they let me file their nails :(  But Dobby does get boiled organic chiken bones because he is a little headhunter  :shocking:

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 06:21:04 AM »
I read that in a book by a Danish author called Marie Metzger... The book is called "Tame Parrots" (directly translated, though).

She suggests hard boiled eggs, cooked low fat meat like chicken and turkey, cooked chicken bones, low fat yoghurt, and dog pellets as quality sources of animal proteine. That so much animal proteine is required is also news to me.

But so far I have made hard boiled eggs and give Max a bit of Basil's (my dog) dog pellets along with the rest of his food.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »
Oh, yes, the boiled eggs and unsalted chicken are okay in very small bits, but dog food has so much salt it will damage their kidneys and ultimately kill them.  Our Maxi loves the chicken bones, but there are articles on arsenic in chicken feed.  It is also in one of the antibiotics fed to chickens, and accumulates in the bones and meat.  I only buy organic chicken and I really hope that cuts down on the risk for us all. 

At any rate, I do not think they actually need animal protein if you feed a varied diet and include some seed or bird pellets, or both.Would like to hear others' information and opinions.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 01:41:30 PM »
I agree with Momazon, they don't need animal protein.
But Eloy is eating with me and he eat omelet (with no salt) when I have it and some chicken bone it's OK IMO.
"Read meat" isn't good for us humans or our birds. But I allow Eloy to taste some small bite sometimes.
But I would never give my bird dog food. Salt and sugar is a big no no for our birds.

I give Eloy sprouted pigeon seed mix and that gives him good protein.
I also sprout green lentils, yellow and green peas and mung beans.

Offline Al_96789

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 08:29:32 PM »
Whenever I eat at home Carla eats with me, I won't eat in front of her. She has her own dish and sits next to me on the arm of the sofa. If it's acceptable, she eats what I'm eating. It has changed my diet, but probably for the better. I avoid salt and fats. She gets chicken, turkey, beef and pork in limited amounts and vegetables and fruits. When I buy any processed food she might get, I read the lable to determine salt content. She occasionally gets scrambled eggs. I get her roasted and unsalted nuts and dried papaya from "Down to Earth", and unsalted potato chips and unsalted pretzels from there too. The potato chips are a treat, she seems to love to texture, but they are too fatty for every day. Pretzels have no nutritional value, but she loves the texture.

I've read Russ Shade's book and another named the "The Healthy Bird Cookbook," and talked to my vet. I've based what I'm doing on what I've learned. Since we really can't duplicate or replicate their diet in the wild, and they really have different needs when in captivity vs in the wild, a well rounded diet is necessary.

I have to say I'm no expert by any means. At 62 years old I have only had a bird for a little over 2 years. For those that are new, Carla is a rescue who about 18 years old.
Carla - BW

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 04:04:34 PM »
Okay... so no dog food.   ;) I think I'll stick to sprouted seeds and a bit of hard boiled egg every now and then.

Perhaps my book is simply too "generalizing"? After all it just covers parrots in general and do not go into specifics with each breed.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 07:42:06 PM »
Someone recently told me that wild birds can handle dog food, but I do not have any verification of that.  Since mine are parrots, I just try to keep up on what is good and not so good, like you!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 09:55:12 PM »
I used to give Nerd bird dry catfood after reading birds needed more protein way back, he liked crunching it and I don't remember him ever having any issues from it, but I stopped giving it to him after we moved away and he seemed just fine without it too and can't say if it actually was good for him or helped in any way.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 11:14:20 AM »
Terry, the thing I have heard is their kidneys cannot flush the salt because they do not drink enough water, so it takes a long time, but the result of a high salt diet is kidney disease.  I guess we knew that for ourselves, but the question for avians  is, how long would it take?  My guess is that a short time would not kill the bird, and it certainly wouldn't happen immediately after feeding, but a constant diet of, say chips and  mammal food would be damaging.  You certainly hold the record for long lived pi's!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 06:13:15 PM »
Well almost every time he went in for something all his numbers were good, except once when his liver function was off, but next followup he was back to good again and as far as I remember all his numbers were good and the last time he was way too weak to have anything done to him but it was pretty apparent he was really sick and underweight so age or something finally caught up with him. I really didn't want to spend the money or put myself through the added emotional toll of a necropsy but it would have been informative I'm sure. My vet said it was spendy though I've since heard that they aren't always that bad but too late now and of course I still miss the little spud.
Village Idiot