Author Topic: Better introduce myself now...  (Read 3756 times)

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
Better introduce myself now...
« on: May 22, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »
As a newbie to this forum I guess I should have started out by introducing myself... however better late than never, right?

Well, my name is Louise and I live in Denmark in a little farm house with my boyfriend and all of our beloved animals. At present we have 6 horses (of which two are rescues), 7 cats (of which 4 are rescues), 13 guinea pigs (also with a couple of rescues amongst), a dog, 15 budgies, two canaries (the male is a rescue), two diamond pigeons, two nutmeg finches, to Chinese mini quails, two Javanese Rice Birds, a rabbit, an aquarium, and of course our newest addition to our little family; Max the Maximilian Pionus Parrot whom you can read about in the tread called "The rescue Amazon who turned out to be a Pionus".

I have loved animals for as long as I can remember and have been around different kinds of animals my entire life. I simply don't think I could live without.

Professionally I work in the complaints department of a larger phone company called Telenor Denmark but I would someday like to educate myself into something that has to do with nature and animals. Besides that I volunteer as a foster mom for motherless kittens who are old enough to eat for themselves (bottle feeding just doesn't work alongside a full time job).

Besides the animals who takes up most of my spare time I enjoy reading, dancing, movies, cooking, going for long walks, bicycle rides and horseback rides, photography, and writing a little bit of poetry. Also I am working on a novel at the moment but that is coming along really slowly.

Being all new in the Pionus world I am so happy that I have found this forum. Usually I am the type of person who likes to learn all that I possibly can about an animal species before deciding to buy one as a pet so I can be prepared to take care of it the best way possible but with Max it has been kind of backwards because he turned out to be something else than expected so right now I am doing all I can to catch up. I love him already and just want him to become a happy and healthy parrot.

If there is anything else you want to know about me please feel free to ask.  :)

Perhaps you would like to see some of my animals?

You have already seen Max... but her are some of my budgies:

They live here by the way and the other cage belongs to the smaller birds and the quails.

These are my horses:

My Bernese Mountaindog, Basil:

Some of my guinea pigs:

Aslan loves his bike:

And finally.... the cats:

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Better introduce myself now...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:12:08 PM »
Good to hear more about you and your critters :hello1: I've had just about every kind of animal, bird, fish, lizard, and a bunch of wild rescues over the years but just have Lurch now. My first Maxie Nerd was kinda a impulse purchase because he and his brother seemed quiet and calm and he was with me for 31 years after his brother died early on :(
Lurch has been here since Xmas eve 2009 and is around 7 now and is a big and very opinionated BIG boy. Nerd was always very skinny, like your guy, and never really gained any weight and averaged 214g his whole life. Keep us updated and post more pics, we love em.
Village Idiot

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »
Beautiful pictures. I also have 4 budgies and a green cheek conure plus my 2 Pionus boys. The budgies are always chirping and singing and i think budgies are wonderful

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:35:04 PM »

Louise - you certainly have some beautiful animals and love your large cage for your Budgies!  Horses look great!

It is nice to meet you and your animal family! 
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 01:16:03 AM »
Welcome! ♥
Wonderful pictures, and I LOVE that big cage! :-)
Thanks for introduce yourself.  It was very interesting to read.
Are you riding any of the horses?

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »
Thank you for the kind words everyone.  :)

Welcome! ♥
Wonderful pictures, and I LOVE that big cage! :-)
Thanks for introduce yourself.  It was very interesting to read.
Are you riding any of the horses?

I am not yet riding any of the horses. Stuntman, the Gypsy Cob, will be broken in this summer and Falle, the Frisian, will be ready next summer. The little mini Shetland ponies are just for fun and tricks and my young Fell pony, Jack, is only 2 years old so it will be a few years still before I can break him in.  :)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 04:16:22 PM »
These pictures are great! How do your birds and cats get along?

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 09:42:20 AM »
These pictures are great! How do your birds and cats get along?

Thank you.  :) Our birds and our rabbit have their own room next to the stable. Most of the cats don't come there because they only live inside the house with us but our outdoor cat, Anton, and our dog does. They don't harm the birds at all but especially our dog likes to just sit outside the cages and look at them.

Max has not met the cats and the dog yet. I figured that would be too much for him on top of changing his home and adjusting to new surroundings and new people. When he gets more comfortable around us we are going to try out an introduction. The good thing about having so many different animals is that they quickly become extremely kind and tolerant to other species than their own. I.e. the cats and the dog as well as the cats, the dog, and the guinea pigs don't mind each other at all.  :)