The Wonderful World of the Pionus Parrot Species > Blue-Headed

Blu

(1/1)

Jan:
My Blue Headed Pi named "Blu" she is still a little sweetie even after being out in the aviary for over a year now.  She seems happy and contented and loves it when I take her out of her cage and love on her!  I'll put in the big area where Chester and Gabby are so she can hang out for a bit while I feed all the birdies!

Every now and then she plucks out her chest and leg feathers and then grows them back in.  Not sure why but she can be a nervous type bird.  Recently, I moved the two Maxi pairs so she now has neighbors directly across from her cage ... she is fine with them there and the Maxi's were just down the way from her, she could see them before they were moved.

I'll have to get some new pics of her soon and post them here, my avatar is of Blu but when she was younger so her blue was not in a vivid as it is now.

Pionus:
Wondering at what tempeture you keep the house and if you use an avian light? I just moved from Maui to Oregon, and winter is something I have never experienced.

Dartman:
Nerd used to live in our house at 60 at night and 66 during the day in the winter in Portland Oregon. He did fine but he was used to it and even caught him one day attacking the rug next to the badly sealed side door while 30 something wind blew under and onto his feet and legs. He was fine and very put out when I picked him up to warm his feet and legs that were ice cold.
We never covered him but did later get a ceramic heat lamp thing we put beside his cage so he could get warm if he wanted to. He did cuddle up to it at times, others he would move away when he was warm enough.
We do cover Lurch as he was covered at his old home at night, and he has the heat thing too.
Pionus parrots are supposed to be able to handle down to 40 at night as long as they are acclimatized to it as they come from the low mountains in South America I think.
If they get a sudden chill when they aren't used to it they can get sick so best to be careful.

momazon:
We keep our house at 55-60, but cooking all the time heats the upstairs a bit.  We do have heating elements not far from the cages at night, so they sleep warmer than we do, which is the way we all like it. I know they do better with heat because when I get them out in the mornings and they have not had the heaters on, their feet are cold and they bite me, without fail.  The next night, I put the heaters on and they call me "Pretty girl", and say "good morning".  No mistaking an animal that can use your language!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version