Author Topic: lifespan  (Read 3162 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
lifespan
« on: August 03, 2013, 10:17:52 AM »
Jan - how long do the pi you know seem to live? While at vet today vet said a comment that pi could potentially live 30 years but many do not. He seemed to indicate 20 was lucky. I know Dartman's Nerd lived to his 30s and I know long life isn't guaranteed. I simply am wondering about others experience with the lifespan of pi.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: lifespan
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 11:30:58 AM »
Well the claims I've seem are around 45 maybe less, maybe more, if everything goes well for them and no major accidents. I think diet and just plain being happy with their lot in life has as much to do with it as anything and I know Nerd was very happy with his lot in life. We did try to stuff him with whatever was safe that he would eat and play games and love him and all that and he had his favorite toys and places to hang out, even a spot under the kitchen table on my chair where he would go just to think Nerd thoughts, snooze, and have alone time. I think they hadn't been that common in the pet trade when I got Nerd so folks were just kinda guessing.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »
Vet indicated high protein is problematic with life span

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 01:31:43 AM »

My 2 oldest Maxi pairs were hatched in 1994 so they are like 19 years old now, so far they've done well health wise.  It's always been stated that their life span is 25-40 years but many of them don't even make it to the 25 year mark.  Pi's are vulnerable to gout and aspergilliosis and I know liver problems too.

The Dusky Pionus seem to not make it in the upper years and I have seen/read online where many of the Dusky Pi's seem to not even make it to 6-8 years old.  That's probably why there are not all that many Dusky Pionus out there.

Yes, you are right, Dartman, back when you got Nerd, Pionus were moreless uncommon as pets. It really was not until along 1988 perhaps when the Maxi started to be somewhat available to get as a pet or breeder pairs. 

Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 04:19:38 AM »
Thanks for feedback Jan. For now I am not as concerned about health of my youngest pi.....he is such a healthy eater.  He eats a very balanced diet. So I have him on a good path for healthy living in a clean environment. But my older pi appparently developed bad eating habits in his first home. I got him on a healthy pellet but I can't get him to accept most foods so that his food intake is more balanced. His bloodwork came back great from vet last November, but given he is 9 years old I do want to avoid health issues in future. So I continue my quest to get him to eat a variety of veggies, etc. I know that I may have to accept he won't change but I keep trying. I will do want I can to avoid, gout, liver issues and asper.

And wishing your Maxi many more healthy years.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 12:47:02 AM »
Jan,

I found it interesting that you say Dusky's often times don't live very long?! Wow... I was kinda sorta hoping sometime in the distant future that just MAYBE a Dusky might be in the cards for me? Hmm... I'd hate to save up around $1000 just to have it die young!  :shocking:

Can you give me any details on where I can read more about this? How often have you heard this happening? What has your experience been with Dusky's and health and longevity as opposed to the other Pi's? If they really do seem to be less hardy based on facts, then maybe I should cancel that particular dream of mine!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 01:10:58 AM »
I have no concrete facts but someone I met online said her Dusky pionus parrots died young. I think hers had asper though after living in her basement. 

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:29:50 AM »
Oh! Birds susceptible to asper. living in a basement. Lovely.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 08:55:08 PM »
This thread brings to mind a question: how old are our birds?  Dobby, a Maxi, is coming up on 4 years. Others?? And yes. Dartman, you seem to hold the record for healthy, happy birds *V* !!!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »
Well maybe I just got lucky as Nerds first real vet visit was when he was 20, and he was a stubborn little guy who pretty much did as he pleased once we were home for the day, he just seemed to be a little tank. I once saw him happily attacking the rug by the side door as 30 something degree wind blew under the door onto his legs and feet. He didn't seem to care and never got sick from it even though later we added a good door sweep and things to keep the cold air out.
We also later added a ceramic heat rock thing so if he felt cold in his cage at night he could sit by it and warm up. I did find him happily snoozing by it some mornings, others he'd be fine and move away from it.
We never covered him and the house got down to 60 at night during the winter and he seemed just fine with that too. They say that they can handle down to 40f as long as they have time to acclimatize to it as their native areas in the mountains can get that cold at night. I do know that his feathers on his legs were being moved by the breeze and his feet were really cold but he seemed really put out that I took him away from his attack the carpet game rather then happy I rescued him from the cold breeze :shocking:
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 10:11:14 PM »
Right now I have A Red Bellied parrot (pics under other species :)) He turned 19 in July. I've had him his whole life.

Last Christmas we got 2 budgies who turned out to be both male when we DNA'd. They're color mutations that are not sexually dimorphic. Don't know exactly how old they are, but young adults. They were already too old when we got them to become hand tame. They're a bonded "couple" so they don't want to be handled. They're getting better about me getting near the cage when I talk to them. I'm sure I look like a huge predator ha! Pix (white) is slightly easier to catch inside the cage but you still have to chase him. He's sort of 'almost' half tame if you take him away from the cage to hang out, but he starts to get worried and call frantically to his mate. We don't try to take him out too often cause he hates it. Twigs (yellow/blue) is a completely wild freak!

Raven (BWP) is still being weaned. He's coming home in probably 2 months?

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »
A woman in a Facebook Pionus group I am in has a Dusky from Russ Shade and he just turned 14 and is completely healthy

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 08:26:52 PM »
I cannot think of a reason WHY Duskies would have shorter lives or be less hardy, unless they're from a completely different environment than other Pi's, or if they need a totally different diet or whatever, but since they don't seem to be that different from other Pi's that's pretty weird. Maybe it's just coincidence. I'd be really interested in knowing how they all died. If most seemed to be of natural causes then I'd have to say forget it to ever owning one.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 09:31:55 PM »
Btw... What happened to Russ Shade?? What does he do nowadays?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 09:38:22 PM »
I have heard from several sources about Duskys...not sure why....I thought pi were healthy in general when I researched a year ago but have since heard 20 is lucky for any pi ...hope to keep my boys healthy and safe. There are slways exceptions so if you like Duskys get one abd feed it healthy food and have it in good environment

Not sure. It sounded like he got divorce and ex wife rehomed perhaps 6 pi to someone....wasn't sure if that was last of Shade flock...was unclear. ..but new owner sounded like she was taking great care of the flock