Author Topic: Bacterial gut infection  (Read 5811 times)

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
Bacterial gut infection
« on: September 22, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »
I have a 13 year old male maxi, and the last few weeks have been very stressful, as he has had a bacterial gut infection,
the first medication I was given I put it on his food or a walnut, but do not think he was getting enough of it as he went poorly again, so the vet gave me two types of medication and said it must go straight into his mouth twice a day, so with the help of my daughter we have managed to do this for just over a week and he is back to normal, we now have to finish the meds just once a day,

Has anyone here had this??? I was wondering if it might come back, I have sterilized with Milton, all his dishes perches and given his cage a good scrub.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Bacterial gut infection
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 01:37:32 PM »
I haven't had that one with either of my Maxi's but sounds ugly but at least he's getting better. Could have picked up something from his food, ate something he shouldn't have, or who knows.
Nerd bird had a couple of issues later in his life with us and luckily he was fairly easy to get meds into and until the last problem when he was 31 he always bounced right back. I dread ever having to give Lurch anything as it would probably be a epic battle and I'd have bloody stumps for hands as he's much bigger and faster then Nerd was.
I think now that he's getting better just complete the meds and keep an eye on him for a while and ask the vet what could have caused it so you can double check things he might have gotten into but I think sometimes they just catch or get something just like we do.
Good luck with your Fid and post some pics, we love pics and stories.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »
Hi sorry to hear your Maxi is ill. Did the vet give you the cause?  Wishing your Maxi well...sorry I have no info on this ailment.

Welcome to the Pionus Parrot Forum
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 12:41:50 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, at the moment he has just had his last dose,
he is looking and acting as he use to, so am really hoping we have 'cracked' it,

will put pics on here later, do you have to get them in Photobucket or the like, to get the link on here, ??

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 12:43:37 AM »
Think I have done it,

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 02:23:31 AM »
Glad he is better. So lucky to have you. Handsome one. Impressed on how you loaded photos as I am not good at it.  Dartman keeps trying to coavh me on loading photos

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 04:37:38 PM »
Handsome fellow you have there and I certainly recognize Maxi attitude with that head fluff, go ahead... touch me... :biglaughing:
Great that he seems better and he certainly looks happy and healthy. Nice shots too and do share more Widget stories. What did you use to get your shots in here? I use IRFanveiw with the resize function and it works great for me and is free.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 09:39:25 PM »
Glad your little guy is better, he sure is a handsome fellow!  I always wonder if I am washing the perches often enough, and if others wash their hands well enough before touching the birds.

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 12:12:08 AM »
I think the same as you momazon, when I found out it was bacterial, I sterilized and scrubbed all his cage perches and dishes, I now have bacterial hand wash, am so scared it will come back,

I also have had a 'funny' tummy/sickly feeling, went to Docs and he said it could be some virus, told him about Widget and he said it could be transferred, so now I am on antibiotics, 

what a pair we are!!!!!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 01:46:47 AM »
Hope you feel better

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 11:03:32 AM »
Thanks, we are both feeling better today, just hope it last's.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 01:01:09 PM »
Fingers crossed!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 02:21:28 AM »
So the vet didn't say cause? Food left out too long? Did vet say anything about using unpasteurized vinegar in water to prevent? Great if you had some guidance to prevent it again.

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 02:48:31 AM »
All the vet said was it was not salmonella or any nasty things, no psittacosis, she said it could have come from anywhere, your brain just goes overboard, I'm thinking is it anything I brought in from the garden, or any food which might not have been washed or treated properly,
I now have bacterial handwash and spray all his cage and area with a bacterial spray, wash all fruit,

he was fine yesterday and so far today he is normal, 

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 12:16:03 PM »
There is a product caled Benebac, which is probiotics. A rehomed bird we loved dearly came to us using it.  He was big and healthy, and we began using it with all ours. You can get it at the large pet stores, and online, for sure. I put it on fresh food or water.

The antibacterial soaps have the problem of superbacteria developing.  I use 6% vinegar to clean, and Benebac once a week, and try to keep the food changed often.  Mine tend to roost of food cups, for some reason, so there is poo in the pellets and seed every morning. Drives me nuts.