Author Topic: Bacterial gut infection  (Read 5807 times)

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
Re: Bacterial gut infection
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »
Never heard of that momazon, have found this on Amazon UK site, is that what you mean.
might be worth a try

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bene-bac-Powder-Birds-4-5oz/dp/B0002ASS3E/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1380137902&sr=8-8&keywords=benebac

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
Yes, it looks the same, except the stuff I get is in little plastic vials with a twist tab at the top to open, and it is liquid.  The powder may have a longer shelf life.  My birds will not drink water with ACV in it, so I filter the tap water in a pitcher filter (all I can afford).  I think probiotics are very helpful in building the immune system, as are pesticide and herbicide free produce. 

Am trying to grow lettuce indoors in my sunniest window.  Living in the north, near the Canadian border, I am not sure if it will work, but plan to keep trying.  Also just found out you can sprout things like carrots if there is just a little sprout left of the stem.  After cutting the carrot, the top will resprout if placed in a dish of water.  Also have a horseradish root, lemon grass, and celery root resprouting.  Our Maxi loves to fly to the windowsill and chew them down. In a few days I will put them in flowerpots and see if they produce enough winter greens to keep everybirdy busy!

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 12:23:19 AM »
I have been giving Widget this Avipro, which I think is the UK same as your one, the details look similar.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vetark-Professional-Avipro-100-g/dp/B004FGAV4A/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1380179925&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=avripro

sorry these links are so long,

sounds good growing veg indoors, mine like celery and carrots, also his favorite is sugar snap peas,

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »
Well, it does sound very similar.  Maybe it is just one of those times that seem to come from nowhere.  Glad he's back to normal.  I bet he stays that way if this has never happened before.

Mine love all crunchy veg and fruits, especially snap peas and corn.  Apparently now about half of the sweet corn has the pesticide engineered in the seed, so insects do not eat it.  Have been reading  about it being unhealthy for anyone to eat. Now I am looking for organic corn seeds to try to plant my own.

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 12:32:37 AM »
Funny you should say that about sweetcorn, thinking back, all this might have started when fresh corn on the cobs came into our shops, Widget loves these, I just us to wrap in kitchen paper and put in microwave for a very short time,  but once or twice I did notice he was a bit sick, regurgitated it,
wonder if that was the start of all this, have not given him any since.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 07:17:24 PM »
I am glad he is better. my boys love fresh corn but I do boil it about 5 minutes before feeding it to them to 'sterilize' it

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 12:27:11 AM »
He is getting on fine, still not quite back to how he was, but he did go through a awful lot in the last 4 weeks, and it will be a week on Monday since his last medication, so am really hoping for the best.

Still thinking about sweetcorn, he use to like it a bit hard, so I only gave it a few minutes in the microwave, have decided he is not having it at all now, better safe than sorry!!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 11:46:45 AM »
Keep us posted, this forum is a great source of information for me even when slow!

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 01:01:04 PM »
So far so good, both him and me are feeling better,
but have been doing a bit of 'research' as to what you said about sweetcorn, am nearly convinced that could have been the problem, read this,

http://www.nongmoproject.org/2012/08/29/gmo-sweet-corn-anything-but-sweet/

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 01:17:02 PM »
Nerd bird loved corn on the cob cooked but he left us in 2009 and Lurch hasn't ate a lot of it since he got here, neither have we.
I spose if you have a garden space you could always grow your own, we used to and sometimes we got nice ears of corn to eat.
Nerd got a upset stomach once from eating way too many raw pumpkin seeds when we were cleaning them out to carves and saving the seeds to dry so he'd have them for food and treats but I don't think it stayed with him as he was pretty quiet and upset looking for a few hours like a 2 year old with a bad stomach then he seemed normal again.
It's pretty upsetting that just decide to foist this crap on consumers without telling us because it's better for THEIR bottom line. The same companies actively patent then sue anyone growing their engineered plants if they didn't get a license, and many times the stuff cross pollinates and gets into other farmers fields without them knowing about it.
Anyways hope you both stay well and now I have one more thing to watch out for... :shocking:
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »
I've been reading more, too :(  Apparently all canola and sugar beets (not cane sugar) Hawaiian papayas, nearly all soy, and much of our corn has Roundup in the genes. Damn.

Guess the effort of growing the garden is worth it, as long as the seed is an heirloom variety, or marked organic.

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 12:43:39 AM »
That is frightening, so what is safe,
think all green veg might be alright, am now wondering about brussels sprouts, mine loves these and likes them raw, don't think he will be getting them raw any more,

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »
I am just eliminating those foods,just one more thing I can do to make them healthy.  Will probably be good for me, too!

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 12:37:35 AM »
This GM foods is a worry for us, as most birds like stuff hard and raw,
at the moment Widget is just on apples, pomegranate, sugersnap peas, and he loves cooked pasta so I put frozen sweetcorn and peas in that. He has never been a great fruit eater, prefers more veg,