Author Topic: Adam really is a big boy  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
Adam really is a big boy
« on: September 27, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »
We got back from the vet's a little while ago. Both boys were saying good boy on the way there and they were pretty well behaved for their trims except there was some yelling and squawking. My vet's husband, who also does wildlife rehab and education and runs The Creature Conservancy http://www.thecreatureconservancy.org/  does the trimming and he is amazing. He weighed them for me and Chante, 2 yr old bronze wing, is now 241 gr but speaki of weight gain - Adam was 314 gr !!! But they said he seems really healthy, just big

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Adam really is a big boy
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:22:25 AM »
By big boy I thought you meant all grown up. But Adam IS a very big boy. Wow.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 11:45:05 AM »
They sure can vary in size. Does it seem like the males can be bigger? Dobby is pretty beefy, but have not weighed him in a while.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 12:03:28 PM »
Lurch weighs in at 250 the last two times I weighed him and old Nerdel was usually 214 but he was very skinny his whole life and still seemed happy and healthy.
Lurch seems like a tank compared to Nerd and is about at least a third bigger so Adam must be pretty huge for a Pionus other then a Sy like Eloy.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 12:08:44 PM »
I have two males....but not that big. My wcp is 185 gr but wcp are the smaller tupe of pi. My maxi/cb is 250 grams and he is big to me but apparently I have small birds.

Yes, Eloy and Adam must be cousins :icon_mrgreen:

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »
Dear Adam cousin!  :icon_mrgreen:
I'm weight 318 gr and I am 30 + cm tall. So nice that I'm not the only one that is big. :-)
How old is Adam? Eloy is 17 months old.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 02:05:04 PM »
Two big boys!

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 06:48:14 PM »
I was away for a little bit so was not really on e-mail - I do have a good friend who comes every every day, gives them fresh food and water, has them out of the cages playing - I am so lucky. She has 15 birds of her own and also uses the same vet I do so if there were ever an emergency my birds are in good hands. Adam
s age is unknown. He came into a rescue, he was a breeder and the person who gave him up, along with a 15 yr old female and an unknown age wild caught Maxi (he has an open USDA quarantine band) was giving up breeding due to the economy. The only paper work said age unknown, very aggressive bird and needs frequent beak trims. He had a very poop encrusted leg band and after a few baths I could read it but could never find out much info and the woman who runs the rescue had it removed at one of our bird club meetings by my vet. I didnt think to save it but I know it said XIA 1092. I could not find that in any leg band registry but the AFA said that it would be one of their 'generic' bands. I gave them my contact info and they said they would pass it along to the breeder they sold that band to and have them contact me but no one ever did contact me. I suspect he is older because he had fatty liver symptoms although at his last check up my vet said he looks much better now (good diet and milk thistle regularly).

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »
Your birds' stories are interesting, and touching, Cetan.