Author Topic: weigh in!  (Read 8880 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: weigh in!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 11:55:05 PM »
That's how they weighed Nerd right there :wink1: Love the tail tip sticking outa the bag :biglaughing: Of course Nerds bag was smaller :shades:

That pic is funny, the tail sticking out  :icon_mrgreen: Nerd's bag was smaller haha.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2014, 03:27:09 AM »
Agree bread can't be good for anyone needing to lose weight. Luckily vet wasn't stressed about Charlie's gain. I rather his weight up with him eating pellets as half of diet only.   Bird bread made with Kamut flour and chuck full of quionoa, etc....so it it somewhat healthy....Charlie's weight gain dates back to increased fresh veggies/fruit so I will watch him but not be too concerned.  He has quite the appetite and eats a lot.

Eloy is a big boy!

Nice Maxsmom! :-)
Yes the bread is not good if you want loose gain, but 300 gr isn't that much?
And if he eat a lot of veggies and fruit he also have a lot of water in his body, and water is weight too.

Eloy is now 350 gr, and that weight he had for almost 5 month now so I think he had reach his limits. He is also very tall, over 30 cm.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 03:28:43 AM »
Wish Dobby would beef up...he might slow down and quit buzzing around making mischief   >:D
Max is like Dobby.....uses a lot of energy with his antics

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2014, 03:31:57 AM »
Julie, I definitely would not worry about Raven 's weight. Small doesn't mean unhealthy.  Max is small too.

And congratulations on +450 posts to you and Momazon

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2014, 12:40:18 PM »
Raven doesn't "feel" skinny, so I won't worry. I guess he's just like all my other birds... Small for their species  :)

I wonder if Raven was the runt of the clutch lol? It just made me curious since Nancy's Chante is his older brother and is average male size. Raven's clutch mate brother looked visually bigger too in pics. I picked Raven because his brother seemed markedly more skittish and wild... but now I come to find out Raven isn't all that crazy about me and doesn't like to be handled by me anyway :(. He only LOVES dad. But dad doesn't take care of the birds... He only plays with them haha.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »
Tough when they do not choose their caretaker. :-(  They have minds of their own.

Max is a little guy and is really pushy.  He is named after main character in movie Gladiator. ..well he takes his name to heart

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2014, 05:26:36 PM »
Tough when they do not choose their caretaker. :-(  They have minds of their own.

Max is a little guy and is really pushy.  He is named after main character in movie Gladiator. ..well he takes his name to heart

Oh well, I love him anyway :)

I haven't seen Gladiator... Maximus must have been Russell Crowe?  They absolutely all have their unique personalities!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »
Yes, Russell Crowe was Maximus. The greatest is the meaning. Max's attitude lives up to name.....he can be full of himself. He is fearless. He is a bully. He is cranky. He is lovable. Very lovable

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2014, 07:01:23 PM »
So Charlie's annual exam was today. He weighed in at 301. His high weight was 314 this summer. The vet said Charlie is a bit chunky after feeling around Charlie's breast. I am not surprised....Charlie eats a lot and I indulge him when he requests treats. It is how we bond as he is mostly hands off. The vet told me that Charlie  has me trained well. I will try cutting back. I do let him eat a lot of bird bread....he is addicted to the bird bread made from kamut flour and quinoa. The vet will let me know Charlie's lab results to help guide me on if I need to cut back on quinoa, egg and other sources of protein as his pellets have 15% protein.  But I know that Charlie gets too much bird bread already.  When our supply temporarily ran out for a couple of months his weight dropped from 314 to 290. Guilty as charged for over indulging my Charlie.

So those of you concerned about if you pionus is big enough you may want to just concentrate on healthy weight. There is such a thing as too big.

Max is 200 grams. WC can get up to 220 according to my vet. But Max is very healthy and I am not going to try to get him to gain more. The vet was pleased with his weight.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »
Okay, I'll remember not to focus on getting Raven to get bigger and bigger lol.
I know the Maxi are generally larger, but how about the Coral billed since Charlie is both. Are the CB a large bird? I know it's hard to cut back when they beg or ask for treats :(. If he became 290 with no birdie bread for a couple months, then you know it's got to be that! :icon_mrgreen:

Raven doesn't really have that big of an appetite. I mean, it's normal for him, so as you know I'm more concerned about him dropping weight. He does eat a lot of Harrison's lifetime formula, but that isn't a weight gaining food. Maybe I should get some bird bread! All my guys are small. I think they all have small frames for their species.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »
Coral Bill are on larger side. I am going to see if I can get him to drop 10 grams. The vet essentially said Charlie had two breasts on his chest and he should not. Arghh my little man has breasts! Anyway it is a sign I should cut back. I would never admit to the vet how much bird bread I give to Charlie.

I highly recommend Avian Organics bird bread.  High quality and healthy ingredients. I would ask your vet next time if weight feels normal based on physical exam. Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods....your birdies may find something they want to eat a lot.

Maximus is on small size but I do not worry because on physical exam his muscles etc feel good to vet. He doesn't have 2 breasts!!!!!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 10:58:57 PM »
Awww Charlie! The way you said it made me LOL!!  :biglaughing:

Yes, I'd agree "breasts" are a sign to cut back  :embarressed:

Avian Organics. I'll keep that in mind for bread. A few weeks ago the vet thought Raven felt fine. He said 'oh, 227g good weight'... I thought hmm the other BW males I read about are 240ish. But from what you and other members say, Pionus seem to grow until 2 years old.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2014, 11:36:57 PM »
Moobs, Man Boobs, are the sure sign of a diet to come!  :AvatarSmileyLOL:

Seriously, a healthy, consistent weight is what we all try for, good on you for being a concerned parront!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2014, 05:01:13 AM »
227 grams sound respectable :-).

Charlie's owner needs to lose some weight so perhaps we will both get on treadmill!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 11:52:49 AM »
That's a very cute image in my mind of Charlie on a tiny treadmill!  :icon_mrgreen: