Author Topic: weigh in!  (Read 8895 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
weigh in!
« on: October 05, 2013, 10:20:30 AM »
Charlie is up to 270 grams! He was around 250 when I adopted him 11 months ago. Apparently he is getting enough food just wish more of it were veggies. Going to keep trying. His annual exam is next month so will be able to compare his progress since last year. 9 year maxi/cb male

Max is at 185 grams - 18 month wcp male.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: weigh in!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »
Wow, Charlie! You're going strong! Max, could really stand a bit more weight but those WC's are often along that weight range.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
Yes wc are smaller. He has gained 15 grams in a year. Not worried about Max's weight...healthy and active. He is in normal range.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 01:50:51 PM »
And small size doesn't stop Max from being a bully. He wants me too himself.....he is hormonal.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »
Nerd was around 214 his whole life and was pretty small and skinny for a Maxi but that never stopped him either.
Lurch has been 250 the two times I managed to get him to sit still on the scale so far and is a big boy compared to what Nerd was.
I think as long as they're happy, eating, and active there can be quite a range just like people. Now if they suddenly drop weight there is probably a problem.
270 sounds on the really big boy side :shades:
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 10:15:44 PM »
He really doesn't look big to me so 270 is shocking.....given I am being really pushy about veggies and  he hardly eats them...the weight is surprising

You are right as long as happy and healthy then weight isn't a concern

Adam and Eloy are the really big pi on this forum

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 05:47:45 PM »
Wish Dobby would beef up...he might slow down and quit buzzing around making mischief   >:D

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 11:06:37 PM »
So what is Dobby's weigh in? It seems these are days for mischief.....hormones.....

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »
My boys were weighed last month. Chante is 241 gr (up just a little from 238 when I got him last Nov) - but talk about big boys Adam is now 312 gr ! Chante is a bronze wing and Adam a blue head

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »
Adam and Eloy are the two pi kings with their sizes

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 12:37:34 AM »
I want to say Dob's weight was under 250 last time at the vet, and I have not unpacked my scale here yet, so I am not sure.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 11:45:10 AM »
Back from avian vet today....Charlie is 271 and Max is 191.....so they both are eating.....and keeping stable weight. 

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:15:37 PM »
Boys got their nails clipped at vet today. Charlie is 304! Max is 199!

I thought Charlie may have lost weight because he is eating fresh food....but he is almost 40 grams heavier. He eats Bird Bannock bread (very healthy ingredients from Avian Organics) for motivation so perhaps that is cause for gain.  He eats a lot but I didn't think that much. A technician clipped his nails but I will check with vet on if weight gain is healthy.

Max is almost 200 which makes me happy. He is small so I am glad he gained a little. He was about 170 when I got him 2 years ago.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »
Nice Maxsmom! :-)
Yes the bread is not good if you want loose gain, but 300 gr isn't that much?
And if he eat a lot of veggies and fruit he also have a lot of water in his body, and water is weight too.

Eloy is now 350 gr, and that weight he had for almost 5 month now so I think he had reach his limits. He is also very tall, over 30 cm.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 02:49:46 PM »
You know, I used to think Raven was "average" for a Bronze Winged male, but I think maybe he's a little guy (with a big attitude).

When he eats yams or veggies which tend to hold water, he gets heavier, but I know his "true" weight now from the hectic week we moved when he only got pellets, (and some regular vegetable days he's still light, and been like this for months) at 218. The vet scale says 214.

BUT... When I feel him, every time, his breast muscle is plump and as large as I think would be normal for a clipped bird.

:dunno: