Author Topic: weigh in!  (Read 8887 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: weigh in!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »
Maxsmom, I'm glad to hear Max has beefed up a little! Sounds good. Maybe Raven will still fill in over the next couple years like Max. I thought they were done before a year, but maybe not?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 09:34:24 PM »
I think Rsven is pretty young and still growing. He sounds like a healthy weight based on your physical exam.of him.

White caps and duskys are smaller pi so I am not worried about my Max.

I sure hope the vet doesnt tell me Charlie is too heavy. He has gained a lot in a short while but I am not good like Julie in checking breast to know if weight is healthy.  Bird bread is based on quinoa grains and it is the secret to my relationship with Charlie. He does things to have a piece of bread.. it is chuck.full of healthy stuff so I hope vet is ok with Charlie's weight.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 07:09:56 AM »
Charlie is 315! He was 304 one month ago and 268 6 months ago. Vet said Charlie was healthy though. Just a big boy. He has been eating fresh food for last 6 months so that is probably the reason. Honestly he eats a lot though....

I will keep an eye on his weight

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »
It's so tricky keeping tabs on weight in birds who tend to fluctuate. Next time I take Raven to get his "nose picked" from the left over dries crud that keeps coming down from his sinuses from the past infection, I'll as my vet then, as I have Pionus questions as to what's TOO much protein. Harrison's lifetime ok for Pi's?

Anyway, I think Raven is very light. He will be 1 year old at the end of this month (already!)

He WAS more or less around 228-235 at first, and kept going down. Now, thankfully he hasn't gone down farther than 215, and pretty much is holding at that.
He won't let me touch him enough to check the abdomen below the breast where they get the fat pocket, but it looks like it sticks out just a little? Maybe it's just the way the feathers lay. I'm curious if he's light, yet has a fat pocket.

I've read that Bronze Winged are AT LEAST 215 (but more the females) and average is 230-240. So since it sounds like Max didn't gain weight until he was a bit older than Raven, I guess I'll wait and see if he fills out as he matures. I was just always under the impression they attain full weight by around a year old.  :dunno:

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 10:45:59 AM »
Well like I and others have said the range can vary quite a bit. Nerd was ALWAYS very skinny and small, his keel bone was very sharp and we could tell when he was doing good because his lower beak area would feel a bit plumper when he was doing his best. He was always running around, playing, and just very active, and he ate good, just always a runt. The vet was worried then finally decided he was just a skinny version after he never changed and tests were always good.
Our vet would just plunk him in a brown paper bag and close the top to weigh him and it worked well enough and he never got hurt. I think as soon as it closed and got dark he tended to stay still and depend on the bag and person holding it.
At home I could generally get him to sit on the scale long enough to get accurate readings.
With Lurch it's a matter of luck as to whether he'll stand on the scale covered with a towel long enough and he's always 250 and feels the same as always when climbing around on me. His keel is nice and plump though I don't try to touch it too much as if he gets frustrated or upset about getting poked he'll lash out though he's letting me do more and more without biting or getting upset.
Just keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't suddenly drop a lot of weight fast.
When Nerd finally got sick the last time we at first thought he was just having a couple of bad days and would bounce back like he always did.
When he couldn't make the short hop from the couch to his cage I realized he was really sick and noticed he felt really light. He was 191g the vet said and very weak :'(
He hung on for a couple of weeks but age and whatever it was caught up with him even with us and the vet doing what we could.
Just keep an eye on him and keep track. You know what is normal for him at this point and I think he'll be fine. :)
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 12:28:53 PM »

Our vet would just plunk him in a brown paper bag and close the top to weigh him and it worked well enough and he never got hurt. I think as soon as it closed and got dark he tended to stay still and depend on the bag and person holding it.

:biglaughing:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »
The brown paper bag got me laughing too! At first I was imagining a lunch sized bag, then I thought oh maybe it was a bigger bag haha.

My 20 year old Red Bellied has always been a runt too lol. He has never flown, so his breast muscle has never been large. Same with Raven, I was thinking that's why he's a bit thinner in the muscle now since he has to be clipped for now for safety reasons. My vet says that's a myth, but I think it makes sense.
 Even though Griffin is a baby, he's small too. He's significantly smaller than another a ruppell's baby I know of. Maybe same with Raven? His older brother (Nancy's Chante) is an average BW male size  :).  Since Raven is a year old, if he doesn't til in by 2, I'll just consider him a runt like my other boys lol. Oh, and one of my Budgies is super small too haha. My first bird ever (Gouldian Finch) was a small guy for his species. What's up with this?! I have all small birds! Healthy and long lived though.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 01:27:01 PM »
The first time Nerd met the Young lady who specialized in Pionus, or at least knew more about them we brought his whole cage in as we didn't have a carrier yet. She of course tried to reach in and he was pissed and bit her pretty good so I shooed her outa the way and he of course latched onto me really good too :shocking: She said oh don't get bit and I said it's not OK if he bites you but he's my bird so he can bite me.
He then scampered up to my shoulder and hid behind my neck once she was done with him and he was good after that. :biglaughing:
The last time he came in she remembered him as being a sweet bird so she must have forgotten or forgiven the bite as part of the process and remembered him hiding on daddies shoulder.
She at the first meeting also said the worst parrot bite she got was when she was a student learning and tried to handle a Maxi like Nerd. She did have a little scar under her right thumb where he'd got her too.
She was genuinely worried and concerned for him and they sent me a nice card when they learned he had passed. :hugs: 
Village Idiot

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 07:35:12 AM »
A friend in SC has many wild caught older special needs macaws that she has taken in and some are still quite wild, her vet is an excellent experienced avian vet and she once posted this picture of her vet weighing one of her macaws

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
Charlie is skittish.....wish it were easy to weigh him at home.....hard enough at vet

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2014, 10:18:27 AM »
That's how they weighed Nerd right there :wink1: Love the tail tip sticking outa the bag :biglaughing: Of course Nerds bag was smaller :shades:
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 11:57:29 AM »
Well, I can't wait to get The Dob in a bag and put him on the scale!  Mine are murder to weigh. 

One of the reasons I love this forum is I learn so much.  Another reason is I get more laughs here than anywhere else!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 12:52:52 PM »
Just tried the nice looking scale I bought years ago with Lurch. When it was sitting on his cage it said he was close to 400 grams, when I put it on the table for a stable accurate read it said 140, and that was making sure it was zeroed and reading grams.
It used to be quite accurate but now I think it's sat around too long with various table things piles on it so no good anymore :(
Anyone recommend another cheap and easily found scale that actually works as if he was 140 he'd be skin and bones and dead, and 400 seems like uber heavy even though he's a big boy. Petco has a nice dedicated one with perches but it's like 90 bucks and Lurch will stand on a scale with a towel and some treats to encourage him so probably just get another good, but cheap, kitchen scale. He usually weighs 250 so unless he's been pigging out lately I'd bet he's still close to that.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 03:18:05 PM »
I wouldn't go with too cheap of a kitchen scale... I went the cheapo route and got one at Target. Actually it wasn't that cheap, it was $20. The problem is, although you can set it for grams, it's not too accurate for very small weights.

For example of what my scale does, Raven weighs 215 at the vet's when he's at his lowest. Same day on my scale that would be 218. The next jump my scale will ever show is 221. It will never register any number 'between' 218 and 221. Same thing happens for the Poi's. I can get a general idea of gain or loss with my scale, but as far as what exactly they weigh, it can't tell me.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 03:45:37 PM »
Yeah, the one I have was on a deal site cheap, has a really nice wood cutting block type of removable surface and used to be very accurate and consistent so even if it wasn't perfect it would always say the same weight twice.
Pretty sure leaving all the stuff on it has stretched the springs as now it won't read low weight at all and is under by about 100 grams on Lurch. I used to have a lab grade scale but it only read grams and at that point Nerd was young and fine and I was trying to weigh food and meat with it. Got frustrated and sold it cheap after getting tired of trying to convert from grams to oz and lb all the time. After I got rid of it as cheap as I bought it I figured out it would have been great for weighing Nerd.
Village Idiot