Author Topic: How long are teen hormone years?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
How long are teen hormone years?
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:21:33 PM »
Jan -

Not sure if anyone else has a baby that they have had until adulthood. So I direct this to you. Anyone else chime in if you know. How long is hormonal period into adulthood? A year or 2? Max is 18 months and his behavior toward my adult male is changing. Fairly consistent behavior with me but I want to target/clicker train him more. I have made some changes to accomodate and ensure both are ok. I know males can be rehomed during this time and that isn't happening here. Just wondering how long this period is on average. Thinking if most understood then many male pi would not be rehomed between 18 months and 4 years.....please do not tell me hormone period is that long :-)

Thanks
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: How long are teen hormone years?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:35:37 AM »
Well, they reach sexual maturity along the age of 3 years old ... so yah even at a year old they can experience hormones as if they were matured.  At this very time of the year, they can show some sexual behaviors ... is it that or is it really something else going on?  Is there jealousy between the two?  Like what is Max doing to make you think it is more hormones?
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »
Dob began getting nippy and ornery around 18 months and kept it up for a year.  Then he graduated-slowly- to his current state of Kindergartener On The Playground behavior.  I have written about his need to chew, his need to play fight, and his teasing of the dog.  We love it, since he still retains his baby like curiosity and sweetness when he is not attempting to shut down our government here under our own roof.  When he does that, we put him nite nite with with a roll of bath tissue to beat up and a stick to chew. Today he flew down, bit the computer cord while looking at me, then laughed loudly and flew back on his perch.  He is now three.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:54:20 PM »
Really appreciate feedback

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 10:23:08 AM »
They are not passive little babies, but they are nowhere near the irritable trolls some amazons become.  I say that with my own 11 year old irritable troll zon on my shoulder! Pi's are about the easiest I have seen.  Anything easier would be a Pretty Polly bird--have you seen those?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »
I had cockatiels so this behaviour is so new to me. They were chronic egg layers but I never experienced behavioral issues. So I sm adjusting  :) Love my pi...I am learning new stuff. Not sure I am up for a zon.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 06:39:17 PM »
HA! I did forget about the sweetness of 'tiels, they are more lovesponge than avian!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
Yes I lost my heart to a tiel.......

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »
But Max is surprising me. He can be velcro and fly over as soon as I wake up. He is very playful but wants me within eyesight. It seems separating them into different rooms so Max is not fixated on Charlie all day helps. Going to work through this  behaviour stuff which has really upset me as I want Charlie in a good situation not worry about rouge baby pionus