Author Topic: Wheezing Sound  (Read 5522 times)

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
Wheezing Sound
« on: October 14, 2013, 12:57:07 AM »
I read it is natural for a Pi to make a wheezing sound,
can anyone describe the sound?  I won't say what my one sounds like till I can get a idea of others.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Wheezing Sound
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:37:19 AM »
It literally is wheezing sound. My white cap makes these out of breath noises when I pet his head. Or at the vet my maxi rescue has made extreme out of breath noises. One lets them sit and calm and it goes away.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:39:12 AM »
So would you describe it as a noise between a cough and a sneeze,
had my 'boy' 13 years and only just notice it, still he has been ill and been though a lot in the last month, so perhaps that has brought it on,

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 10:02:10 AM »
Our Maxi does not wheeze, but makes a panting sound. If it became more pronounced, it might sound like a wheeze.

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 11:28:20 AM »
That is probably what mine is doing, but since he was ill I am paranoid, 
he had a bacterial gut infection and had to have antibiotics straight in the mouth twice a day,
that was fun trying to catch a free-flying parrot, still with the help of my daughter we did it and I think he has now recovered,
but I am just going crazy about his every move, every poop, watching all he eats,

thats what you do when you love-em-to-bits.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 06:48:31 PM »
Wheezing is heavy panting

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:09 PM »
Nerd did it all the time and it bounded like CHUFF...CHUFF...CHUFF...CHUFF... for as long as he was upset. You could also sometimes hear a kinda wheeze in there too. It would freak out his vets who mostly hadn't worked with a pionus before. Now if his tails bobbing and he's making wheezing sounds while calm and just trying to breathe he might have a respiratory issue of some sort and probably needs to be seen again . Probably just the normal upset or happy wheeze they are known for.
Lurch has never done it that I'm aware of but compared to Nerd he's pretty fearless.
Village Idiot

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 12:45:17 AM »
Thanks for all the advice, am sure my one is OK, sounds like what you said Dartman,
as I said I am now a paranoid Pionus owner  :embarressed:

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 01:40:14 AM »
I have heard that it is a nervous and worried sound too and I found it true.
I have heard Eloy does it ones, and that was when I have uncovered his cage and came to close,  his first day here, when he only was 12 weeks old. I have never heard him wheeze after that.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 02:56:52 AM »
Oh, I thought panting was just air going in and out, but wheezing was a squeaking or rattling sound when panting?  If it is just heavy breathing, then yes, Dob does it.

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 06:06:28 AM »
They all make funny noises don't they??

do any of yours talk, my one says, 'Shan't be long' 'Hallo Widget' 'Mummy good-boy'
and if I am luck sometimes says 'Mummy loves you'

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 10:02:27 AM »
I hadn't recognized the panting as pionus wheezing but when I took Charlie to vet he was doing what I called panting. My vet said it was extreme wheezing. We waited and Charlie calmed.  Good way for me to understand first hand what wheezing was.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 10:45:20 AM »
Eloy don't talk. And I'm happy with that. I prefer his own languish. If he talk one day it will be fine too, but I don't learn him that.
But he is good in making sounds, like microwave and mobile phone.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »
Yes, Dobby makes the microwave, cell phone, and the smoke alarm. The place we live now has the smoke alarm next to the stove, so it goes off quite often when we make stir fry.  Now when I get the wok out, Dobby makes the smoke alarm.  This is not very flattering  :shocking:

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 12:40:59 AM »
There funny with noises, bit embarrassing momazon if you are having a 'dinner party'

so is mine the only one who talks?? still he is a 'only' bird, and there is just him and me,
so that probably helps,