Author Topic: DNA sexing  (Read 3501 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
DNA sexing
« on: October 16, 2013, 02:13:05 AM »
Wondering how many  pi owners on this forum confirmed their pi are actually the sex they believe their pi to be.  I read more than once about DNA sexed birds turning out to be different sex than owner believed or DNA sex initially revealed. So these owners were dealing with two pi mating whom the owners didn't believe were capable of mating.

I imagine Jan DNA sexed hers given she used to breed.

I had two female tiels with extreme egg issues in past and wanted to experience something different.  So I chose males and wanted to ensure they would not be mating. Both my pi have been DNA sexed twice due to my concern about reliability of tests.

Anyone else confirm the sex of their pi? Perhaps if one has one bird it does not matter to the owner (except I didn't want to deal with eggs and Lupron whether I had 1 or 2 birds as it controlled my life for too many years)
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
Re: DNA sexing
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 03:43:35 AM »
Early on in his life my Pi had to go to vets for some sort of breathing problem, and as he had to go under anesthetic for the test she did a DNA then, so that's how I found out.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 11:17:46 AM »
The breeder DNA Eloy and I know it's true. Eloy is a boy!  :icon_mrgreen: (and I have a certificate, he is also registered in Denmark )
The breeder had 5 Maxis, 2 girls and 3 boys, so he had no reason to lie. I have to choose Eloy first of all, and I'm sure I get the right one. ♥♥♥
Perhaps it is different if the breeder only sale for money?

When you buy a bird in Sweden or Denmark you will always get it DNA and a closed ring on the foot. It is very cheap to do it here, so everybody does it.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 01:33:56 PM »
We had an unscrupulous breeder who knew we wanted a female for behavioral reasons.  She assured us he was a girl and she would provide the certificate when we took him home. This went on until she had the down payment and my daughter was coming over to hand feed him every day. Then she said, "Oh, I guess it does not matter, you love him so much". Well, we do, but he sure is a handful!  So yes, he is a dna'd male.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:50:26 PM »
The gal we got Lurch from said he was DNA'd a male and so far no eggs and the attitude is certainly male. Nerd bird we never found out but we figured he was male and no eggs in 31 years.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:17:59 PM »
Momazon- That is horrible.  And you are right. You love him but he isn't what you were expecting.

I didn't realize the generalized personality differences between male snd female pi. I love my guys but I may have chosen females if I had done more research. No turning back. World turned upside down and my boys have me wrapped around their toes :-)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 01:44:57 AM »
Lurch does sound like a male, Terry, but only because he is so assertive. Nerd sounds like he was wonderful. Amazing how you work with them and get them to come out of their shells!

Maxsmom, that's exactly my feeling, I do love him, but he is messier and more destructive than other birds have been.  Still love him to pieces, but we had a bluehead who was all personality and none of the mischief, and he was a dream. Have to say he was an easier bird, and I could leave the room without losing computer cords or covering my tea!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 02:30:07 AM »
I work long hours and fitting another 32 x 23 cage may overwhelm my home..that keeps me from getting a third bird.....but having a female pionus is so tempting...whether Max flies over to say I love you and reguritate or easily steps up and then bites me or Charlie screams or Charlie seeks me out for a scritch I know that it is just a thought and my boys give me joy and I can't handle more than 2 birds with my work

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 09:47:42 PM »
And if they made babies you would really be over-birded!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 11:27:55 PM »
Very good point....could not handle 3rd pionus or risk any mating. I preferred not to get a female when I got a second one because of mating risk. I got my second pi so quickly....didn't really appreciate differences in sexes in terms of personality. But thanks for reminding me why I didn't get a female at the time

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »
Yes, I use to DNA all my breeders plus many of the babies that I raised not once were the results wrong. I can happen though. I think it is a good idea to always know the sex of your birds so it can help out in situations for understanding in both behavior and in medically.

I had two different times where people sold me a pair telling me they were in fact male/female but being that I never took anyone's word for it being that I was never handed a DNA certificate, I had them DNA'ed ... one pair turned out to be two females and another pair turned out to be two males ... good thing was both these pairs were White Caps so I was able to pair them up and make two actual male/female pairs. I had bought these birds from two different sources.

Ideally, if you are breeding (I know you're not) and want to know exactly how healthy the reproductive system is, it would be best to go that route as they can see if there are any issues before a person would set up a pair to breed.  I never did that, I should have though in some cases as it would have helped me out a head of time. 
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »
Adam was used as a breeder and came into rescue from a small breeder so I have no reason to doubt he is a male. When I was looking to add another Pionus and I was talking to Maggie from Wing Nuts she told me she had 2 males, I told her that is what I was looking for because Adam had been a breeder and was supposedly very aggressive, not aggressive now but I didnt want a female coming into the house top get him all excited and she felt that was a good move. And Chante does have a DNA certificate

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »
I always like to know what sex the bird is. I personally couldn't go for years just wondering... I'd go crazy!

Even though males can have a more difficult temperament once mature, I still tend to prefer males, and I will probably only want male birds from now on - because of my (irrational??) fear of females getting the various egg problems that they could potentially have. Probably unlikely if on a good diet, but still scared of it LOL. Also scared of excessive laying, since I love to cuddle the body all over in a bird who will accept it. I just can't help myself. I love the sweet temperament that a lot of the female birds have, but don't know that I could bring myself to get a female and have it in the back of my mind for years!

Tell me, am I the only one out here who has the "egg paranoia"?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 03:34:18 PM »
You are not alone! I lived the egg binding issue for the last 8 years of my tiels' lives. It ruled my world. I would nit take a second back as Ilived my tiels. But I have two males now in direct response. I am living with hormines with my 19 month male wcp.....arghhh. Hopefully this passes.Female pi are known to be sweeter than males

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 08:30:33 PM »
I've always heard female tiels make sweet pets, but have egg issues or constant laying.

The tiel on your shoulder in the avatar looks huge! Also has the biggest orange spot I've ever seen. Gorgeous bird!

My last BW Pi was female (I DNA'd after getting her) in 2005. Unfortunately she didn't live long enough (8mo) to have eggs anyway. I got her from a bird store - she looked beautiful, shiny, bright eyed and a picture of health. She had PDD, and the vet said she most likely got it from her parents in the nest. The store got her from a broker who got the clutch from who knows... One of these days I'll post her in the rainbow bridge section and warn others of PDD and really how prevalent it is. Anyway, not to change the subject! I've had other females before but never eggs. For the future though, no more girls LOL!