Author Topic: Talking Pionus  (Read 2351 times)

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
Talking Pionus
« on: October 16, 2013, 03:47:28 AM »
Does you Pi talk???  mine does a little, but he is on his own, I live on my own, so we only have each other to talk to,  :wink1:

his vocabulary is only,  'Shan't be long'  'Mummy good boy'  'Hello Widget' and some times 'Mummy loves you'

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Talking Pionus
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 01:38:40 PM »
Dobby does sounds, as I said on the other thread, and he also mumbles, laughs, and repeats parts of what we say.  He does a funny thing where he dips his head in his water and says," Sprinkle Boy", which is what we used to say when he was a baby, getting misted. It sounds more like "Prinkle Boy". Then he does a crunching sound when he wants a nut cracker, and a water sound when I pour my tea.  When my daughter comes in he imitates her laugh and says, "Oh, hi, hi, good girl, how are yoooouu!" all very quickly.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 04:46:09 PM »
Lurch talks, sometimes does the pirate gibberish mumbling, says hi, Hello, toast, what are you doing, good morning baby boy, OH BOY, Good boy, etc.
He talked when he got here and has some phrases that are foreign or just his version and sometimes kind of buzzes like backround talking that you can't make out. Every so often he'll pop out a new one or use words in a new way just to change it up.
Had Nerd for 31 year and he never talked but we understood each other just fine and I didn't care as we cared for each other and he made cool noises.
Fuzzy's Blue Head  Kobe talks as well and maybe she'll pop in with his favorites.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 06:38:39 PM »
I have 9 year old whom I have had for about a year. He is a very clear speaker but his phrases are limited. Hi Charlie, Charlie is a good bird, Whatcha doing....and a lot of farm animal noises. He uses them in different contexts though to accomplish different things based on positive reinforcement. I am not sure if he will learn more phrases

My 18 month old says more phrases but it is very raspy. He mainly says I love you, Mommy loves you, Good Boy, Hello, Hi, Maximus, Mommy, Mommy loves Maximus. He once said Thank you. And he says Achew a lot when I sneeze. Hoping to still work on his vocabulary while he is so impressionable
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 12:59:12 AM »
They are funny aren't they, my one does sound a bit odd voice, unlike the grey I had for 30 years, he sounded just like me,
seems Pi's have a special voice and just copy words not the sound or tone of the voice.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 01:41:51 AM »
Yes, pretty raspy.  I do not think talking should be an important reason for getting a pionus.....they are just not known for it. For me it is a nice plus as my previous birds didn't talk. One factor in getting a male baby pi for me though was there was more of a possibility for speaking

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 01:54:50 AM »
Agree, my reason for a Pi was I wanted a bird with not a very long life span, [my age considered] also a quite, non aggressive non destructed one, so came across Pionus, and was so luck to find a breeder not far from me who had eggs,
but as you say, talking was not important to me, even after 30 years with grey, think that is why I might have done more 'trying' to teach him to talk.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 02:14:53 AM »
Nice to have experienced a grey and I like that you chose a pi based on lifespan considering your age as well. I have provided for my pi in my will just in case but I expect to be around to care for them for their life times and definitely factored that into my choice