Author Topic: The joy of pionus ownership  (Read 3476 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
The joy of pionus ownership
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:05:09 AM »
When I found myself birdless after 17 years I starting thinking about what I wanted in a companion bird. I chose pi because they are known for being quiet, have a longer life expectancy than cockatiels and are independent enough for me to gone for most of day for work (my vet highly discouraged getting a larger bird like a too if I am gone 8 hours per day)

Well I have that in my baby pi. My rescue can be loud and I worry about his life expectancy given he doesn't really eat veggies.

I wasn't expecting such independent birds and it was a bit of an adjustment after having velcro tiels. I also have had to learn a lot and patiently work with them on behavior. But I definitely have joy in my boys. They each warm my heart....they just made me work for it  :heart:  I am on a wonderful journey with these wonderful beings

Why did you pick a pionus as a pet? Have your expectations been met?
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline E

• Nestling
Re: The joy of pionus ownership
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:01:47 AM »
I choose Eloy for the same reason as you.
Eloy is better then best, he is such a good boy, but of course he can be angry and have a bad day. He is not a machine.
He is very silent, but sometimes he can scream and then he flies away. I'm still not sure what this mean.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »
I wanted a pi after a friend described her maxi to me and her kids told me about how low key she was. After researching and  seeing one in person, it was 10 years before we actually found Dobby.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:04:19 PM »
I got Nerd and his brother after my mom saw them at the local shop we used to go to and saw how calm, QUIET, and non aggressive they seemed to be, of course that was in 78 and they were probably wild caught and pretty new to the pet trade.
When Nerd finally left us I wanted another Nerd bird to keep my company and figured if it happened it'd have to wait till I could afford another one and had got past loosing Nerd for a while. Family felt bad for me and missed Nerd too and lil sister found me Lurch, family got him for me Xmas 2009 and we're still working it out but he's pretty fond of us now   :icon_mrgreen:
Village Idiot

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 01:32:30 PM »

I took an attraction to the Pionus back in 1990 when my dad and sister got a couple of pairs each.  I found them to fit my personality and I like how they are! Yes, because the Pionus seems to be more laid back they are exactly what I liked and wanted... this is one reason why some people do not like Pionus and they got labeled as perch potatoes because they may not be as active as like Caiques, Conures, Amazons and many others. I do find that you have to give your Pionus something to do to make it more interesting for them.  They do play and are generally easily entertained.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 02:26:41 PM »
I first saw a couple of blue heads at a bird show and was taken with how beautiful they were. I started to read up on them and thought that a Pionus would be a good fit because I live in an apartment and do go to work most days. Then a friend from my bird club who runs a small rescue said she was probably getting a few pionus parrots in and didnt have room and was anyone interested in fostering and adopting. SO I told her yes I was and a few months later Adam came to live with me. He has turned out to be so great that I then decided to get a bronze wing boy and when I have room will probably add one more Pi, hopefully a Dusky

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
Yes pi are such a joy one wants more. I dream of a bronze wing. But I am really happy with my two boys and have my hands full so it is great to share everyone else's experiences with their pi on this forum.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 05:29:52 PM »
Was about to start a thread about how I love my quiet pi but see I did already....

Giving thanks as Thanksgiving approaches to the quiet sound of my home with 2 personable birds....Charlie screams here and there but overall my home is quiet...I need that solace after brain overload at work :faint: :gobble:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 07:56:36 PM »
I can't really say how I was first drawn to Pionus, but I remember about 20 years ago I saw a pic of a bronze wing in a book, and thought wow, that is really a cool looking bird! Even though in many pictures they look like such a dusty drab colored bird, but there's just something I can't explain as to why 'visually' BW Pionus are my all time favorite parrot species. So, it started by attraction to the color and looks, then when it came to getting one, it also turned out it has some pretty attractive personality qualities too which fit with my life.

SO, in 2005 finally I was considering another parrot. I got Adrion, a beautiful female BW. Long story short, you couldn't tell by looking at her, but she had PDD (which is more common than many people think) and  she didn't even make it to a year old. Once clinical symptoms hit she went down fast at the avian hospital. I've always been very careful and diligent about how to avoid the deadly bird viruses, but this caught me off guard and I got this baby from a bird store. The store meant well. Unfortunately now I'm even more paranoid. Anyway, finally I'm able to get another BW (you know, my favorite parrot species) :) and I'm getting a boy I named Raven. He will probably be home in January weather permitting shipping from IN to CA

Offline BabyCricky

• Egg
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »
My brother first wanted to buy a Senegal Parrot, so he looked for a breeder near our area. But they didn't have Senegals available, but he saw the picture of a parrot called Pionus Senilis and he got quickly interested. Now I'm happy he finally chosed the Pionus Senilis, my baby Cricky is very sweet and very funny! She's a bonbon!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »
BabyCricky -Isn't it great to end up with such a lovely parrot! :cool2:

Offline BabyCricky

• Egg
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 02:22:24 AM »
BabyCricky -Isn't it great to end up with such a lovely parrot! :cool2:
Yes!  :hbeat:

Offline Dani

• Egg
  • Bronson The Little Raptor
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »
I really had no plan for birds, they just happened. My first bird was Luna, she's a cockatoo. Got her as a just weaned baby and was head over heels in love with her and every aspect of parrot care. A year into having her, I was shopping at a pet store when I saw a BW Pi, I asked to hold her. This was the first time I ever laid eyes on a BW, I only saw a BH once. I instantly fell in love! I was told that  she was being transferred to another store that she was in this one for a year. I couldn't let her go! I bought her! Thankfully she was in a store who employed a bird savvy lady and was spoiled rotten. So I have to brag that Bronson was a total diva and sweetheart from day one with me! A few months later she gifted me with an egg, we thought she was a he the whole time.

That's when I started my quest for knowledge! And I found Jan's forum  and joined the pionus family. Bronson is 8yrs old now and as sweet as ever!