Author Topic: How Many  (Read 4574 times)

Offline widgetwilk

• Egg
How Many
« on: October 19, 2013, 01:09:29 AM »
How many parrots have you??
I have always only had one, I was brought up with a Amazon for 25 years, then I had a grey for 30 years, then a Senegal for [sadly] 2 years, now I have had my Pi for 13 years,

strange but never had the urge to have more than one at a time,
am I 'odd'???

Offline E

• Nestling
Re: How Many
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 01:46:43 AM »
No you are not odd. But It depends on how much time you can give the bird.
I have only Eloy and at the moment it is working fine. I'm home a lot or he is with me or in the summer in his outside cage.
I prefer to have only one at the time too if it suits the bird.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 02:26:04 AM »
I love them, and would love a huge aviary with many pi's.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 05:17:05 AM »
Momazon - I agree. I wish I had an aviary as I would love to have each type of pi.

I had two parakeets growing up - had one at a time. I had one cockatiel by itself for 8 years and added a second tiel. They weren't buddies but by having 2 I could leave them easier. My first tiel simply waited for me to come home to eat and that stopped when I added the second. But I had 2 birds who bonded to me - one more than other - so I was spread a bit with them

I have 2 pi and it is a lot of work. Both want my attention and I am really spread because I have long work hours. I am not sure if helps to have 2 for company for each other. I think Charlie would not mind another bird. Max seems to prefer being on his own as he is a bit velcro at times but he does look for Charlie. I am hoping Max will grow to be a better friend to Charlie. For a time they would share different play areas but then Max got sort of hormonal or perhaps possessive of me.. I am resisting a third pi as a buddy for Charlie and am giving Max and Charlie time to develop their relationship as Charlie and I patiently wait out Max's hormone years.

I can say though that having each type of pi isn't in the cards for me for now....
as I do not have enough time and I want to give each a lot of individual attention.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
When I first got Nerd bird in 78 I got a package deal with him and his brother Ferd. They were best buds and the shop did not want to split them up so gave me a better two fer price so they could stay together. It worked out well for them as they kept each other company and made cute bookends when they slept against each other at night. As far as bonding  with me they were OK with me, Ferd more then Nerd, but liked each other best. Unfortunately Ferd caught something or had a health issue that came on very suddenly and died within 8 hours of appearing really sick :bawl: That morning he was fine as normal with Ferd before I left for the day, 4:30pm he was wobbly and having balance issues, 8pm he died.
SO Nerd was with me and mourned for his brother a while, then realized he was stuck with me and started coming out of his shell and wanting to be with me slowly. We eventually became fast friends and best buds for the next 25 years and he was fine by himself as long as he had his favorite toys and could see what was going on in his world from the corner of the tiny dining area at our rental house.
Lurch is by himself and also seems fine though he is a bit more outspoken, bigger, and aggressive, then Nerd was.
I think once they have bonded with you a friend might work well but if your trying to make friends another bird MAY make them prefer to hang out together because Nerd never really liked me till I was who he had left to deal with.
It also helped that when I moved from the parents house to my rental he was out in the middle of the action and could watch us do things and interact and decide what he wanted to do all day. 
Village Idiot

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 09:26:51 AM »

I've only been with one parrot for only a year and that was a Cockatiel, then after the year was up, I got a mate for the male ... from then on, I've never only had one bird since then.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 02:17:45 PM »
I have 7 right now. $ budgies that came in pairs, all males. Mac and Kiwi came to me in June 09 from someone who found Mac outside and got Kiwi as a friend for him but then didnt have time,. Pearl and George came in April 2011 (I think) and they are both older birds whose owner passed away and no one in the family really wanted them. Princess, my green cheek conure, was adopted 6 yrs ago today and she was 8 mo old at the time. Adam is my blue headed Pionus I adopted from a rescue in May 2010 and Chante is my 2 yr old bronze wing Pionus I got almost a year ago

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 02:16:09 PM »
This sounds like a fun topic...
IF time, space, money, were not an issue (wouldn't that be nice?!)
Then, I'd love to have about 5 (?) Parrots, and a little aviary for various parakeet and finch species.

But, REALITY IS... Raven will make 2 parrots, then the 2 wild budgies. Eventually... my husband really wants a Hahn's mini macaw. I am sort of scared that if that comes to pass, a Hahn's might be so high maintenance that it means no more birds for me  :(. We shall see. That would not be anytime soon though.

In the past, 3 is the most pet parrots I've had at a time. When I was single and lived alone, that was even a bit much for me to handle alone. That is just me though. I know many people do just fine with many birds.  :) you lucky people!

Actually my 19 year old Robin is absolutely loving being the only guy who gets attention nowdays. I feel guilty for when he was younger I didn't really have time for him (or any pet), so making up for it now at least!!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 03:35:41 PM »
I am single and live with temptation for a third bird. Simply do not think I could juggle it though. You sound like you could easily handle 5, Julie!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 06:16:33 PM »
I wish... I don't have the space in the apartment, time, or finances for the foreseeable future though. Living in Orange County or Los Angeles CA is too expensive. We'll see what the future holds! :apple:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »
I was thinking more about this topic today, and thinking that there is nothing wrong with only having one or two special birds. I mean, I have a couple friends who each have one dog. That one dog is their "child" completely and totally pampered, and I don't think these ladies could stand the thought of another dog, as it would take too much away from the dog they have and love now.

So same can be true with birds? I guess I'm just looking to justify having only 2 birds (besides the WILD budgies). You out there with just 1 or 2 birds have inspired me and let me know that it's OKAY if you don't have a bunch! LOL the peer pressure of having more birds when you see others with them haha! :icon_mrgreen:

I do hope Robin (red bellied) lives out his potential 30 or so year life span. "They say" 20-30 years. He's 19 now which makes me a little bit worried now and then. Soon I'll have a young boy with the senior citizen!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 09:31:29 PM »
I worried about Nerd as he got older from time to time but until the last time he got sick he never acted like he had any idea he was elderly and was happy active and vocal. The vet was amazed he was 20 when they first saw him for a blood feather he pulled out.
I had him 31 years when he finally left us and I was told the shop thought they were a couple of years old but had no real idea and neither had bands and pretty sure they were wild caught back around 77.
Just go with it and keep him happy and fed and maybe he'll break the curve as far as longevity goes and be happy to have him and he thinks your a friend.
It still amazes me any wild creature decides we are trustworthy and decides they love and care about us :bighug:
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 11:59:39 PM »
Hoping Robin lives at least 10 more years! One of my tiels lived 17 years....dealing with aging was hard. (Many years beyond her life expectancy as a sickly lutino though) Just treasure the time and be vigilant.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 12:07:26 AM »
I have to tell you, I laughed (in a good way) when I saw the name Lurch! I love it!! :icon_mrgreen: also Nerd and Ferd haha! Cute!

I have LOVE for Robin like I've never had for any living creature/ pet EVER. I've never had human children and never had that desire. It scares me that I love Robin more than one "should" love an animal. I have loved and lost or had to give away birds before, birds I had loved and have cried and cried over it, but that was nothing in comparison to what I feel for Robin. Knowing that, and knowing he's getting older is the scary part!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 12:29:53 AM »
I loved Lea to same. I will never have that again. I am so happy to have experienced it even though my mourning was mind numbing. Wonderful memories make me smile.  Just enjoy each moment. Do not worry. I actually kept a periodic journal while she was alive and had a painting done of her 2 years before she died. It helps now.