Author Topic: Blue Head weight after travel?  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Pionus

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Blue Head weight after travel?
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:44:26 PM »
Hi, I just flew my blue head from Maui to Bend. He did well on the flight, was in cabin and ate all the way. It was 77 when we got to Bend..two hotels latter and we moved into a home for rent.  He has lost weight from 253 grams to 246. I am worried.  He also stated molting before we left and now is still molting, more than I have ever seen him do. I went to a vet today to get his exact weight..but there was only a technition in. So i have no answers..not an avian vet in the area that I can find. I am keeping the home at 72 and cover him at night.  One morning a cat came to the door and scared him, he was in a smaller travel cage, I got rid of the cat and he was thrashing in his cage, let him out and fluttered to floor..never saw him so scared!  So 4 tail feathers gone and three wing. Do you think the weight loss is due to the stress of it all?  His droppings look good, he seems to be eating pretty good. I worry about humidity and warmth..can anyone hlep ne here?  he is 16.  Thanks!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Blue Head weight after travel?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »
sorry your bird isn't feeling well.I highly recommend driving to see  an ABVP or AAV
Vet as soon as possible even if it is quite a distance. .I think only a vet would be qualified to advise you  providing a physical exam. I do think though that whenever there is 10 percent loss  of a bird's weight that is when  to be nervous. Regardless you should get that checked out. Best wishes
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:05:37 PM »
I'd keep an eye on him and make sure he's hydrated and all that. Nerd used to be skinny and averaged 214 but after a good day of chowing down and playing he'd sometimes be up to 225, then down to 214 again in the morning but weight loss of a bunch can be a bad sign. It's possible he just didn't eat or drink much while on the flight but I'd get him checked out too just to be safe
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 07:08:32 PM »
I keep a heat element (reptile or bird heater, variously advertised) near our nighttime cages, since my zon has always acted angry and tired when she sleeps under about 78=79 degrees. If the humidity is a problem, maybe a crock pot with a wire strainer over it would provide warmth and humidity.  The strainer would allow steam out and prevent your baby from falling in when scared.

Another idea would be probiotics, like Benebac. Our healthiest rehome came to us using it, and now all of ours do.

Is he in the room with you whenever possible? If it is stress, this may help, as well as giving a "tour" while you are holding him.  We have moved three times in three years, and drove with ours for two and one=half days to get to our most recent home. We gave them tours of the motels and kept talking and singing to them during the trip. The zon did fine and loved all the change, but the pi's were less happy.

Of course a vet would be the best idea, but these things might help in the interim.

Offline Pionus

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 05:55:10 PM »
Thank you for your help, will look into everything.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 10:26:16 AM »
Still good eating and poo-poos?  Thinking of you.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »
I have a Facebook "friend" with birds who lives I think near Bend, I will send her a message asking about Avian Vets

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 02:49:39 PM »
I got this message from my friend in Bend who has birds

Deb LaPaugh at http://www.lapawanimalhospital.com/ is very good and sees birds, too. Tell 'em welcome to Bend!
Bend Animal Hospital | LaPaw Animal Hospital Bend, OR Veterinarian

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 05:26:22 PM »
So great of you Cetan!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »
I wish I had realized so many of us live up this way, I would have liked to have met you on our way up while we were moving last summer!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 03:42:42 AM »
How is your BH doing?

Offline Pionus

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »
Thank you...I did take him to dr. Maas here afTer asking around. He seems to be around 242. And after eating 247 he was always 253.. I a keeping the house at 73. Bought a light for him, just not sure how long to keep it on..it's feather bright full spectrum. Have an oil delongs heater on the way
.will check out the other vet too...thanks

Offline Pionus

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 10:16:19 PM »
Cetan, do you think your FB friend would chat with me about bird care in Bend?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 03:42:34 AM »
I am sure if you call ths vet they can advise on temperature and lighting.  Is it eating?