Author Topic: what's up with throwing everything to the floor?  (Read 2760 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
what's up with throwing everything to the floor?
« on: October 25, 2013, 05:39:31 PM »
Max seems to find it entertaining as a toddler would to throw everything on a playtop on the floor. He watches it fall and stares at it a bit then looks to throw the next thing. This seems to be especially fun if it is a small cup with food. ( yes , I am slow to catch on to stop putting small cups of food on the playtop) Will try to curb this with positive reinforcement but hoping this is just a fiesty baby boy behavior. Charlie only seems to do this to warn me he is not in mood for me too approach his cage. But this is a nighly occurence with Max. Just not used to such messiness. My girl tiels weren't like this.  Perhaps I may just need to accept the messiness.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: what's up with throwing everything to the floor?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 06:11:54 PM »
Good luck. The zon loves to throw anything off anything, with as much force as she can. She tosses towels off the towelrack, dishes off perches of course, silverware off the table, you name it.   Dobby picks things up gently and drops them carefully. He seem to prefer plunking things in his water and picking them back out.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »
Seems like acceptance may be the key

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
Nerd did it and took great joy in watching it fall and hearing it clunk. Lurch does similar though he likes to show how manly he is and toss anything as hard as he can while giving it and us a dirty look. If he's really wound up he starts swearing in his pirate gibberish after he does it :biglaughing:
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »
Yes, Maxsmom, I thing we have to reframe the situation as either a game of fetch with us being the fetchers, or just as a charming but messy quirk. I often wonder if my house will ever be as clean as it was pre-bird times.

Terry, I love the dirty look part.  Obviously you have crossed the line on something.  We made the mistake of laughing at the silverware, so it is a game with the zon, fair and square.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 12:06:47 PM »
Thanks, you should see his face and demeanor when it's bed time. :shocking: We keep his house on the small part of vinyl flooring that is the threshold to what is supposed to be the front door, if we used it that way.
Makes it way easier to sweep and vacuum up after him when he tosses or just eats things all over the floor. We used to keep Nerd over some clear carpet runners, and all his favorite spots nearby as his area in the dining nook was carpeted. If they got dirty we just hosed em off or tossed and bought new ones when they got bad enough.
Village Idiot

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »
Both my Pi boys do it, they toss and I fetch. Chante is especially good at keeping his playtop area free of any toys and I have learned top put his morning food in a heavy ceramic bowl because the stainless ones with his breakfast only last a few minutes up there. He eats a little then when I would hear the sound of the bowl moving had to run and grab it, otherwise a few seconds later the bowl would be on the ground and all his cooked grains and chopped veggies all over the place at which point he will proudly yell "Good boy, good good boy". So now both he and Adam get thier food in my nice heavy bowls and I usually end up eating my cereal from a plastic bowl.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »
 :biglaughing:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 03:53:08 PM »
The stating Good Boy after throwing bowl to ground thing cracks me up! :harhar: :harhar: Like they know this is a tease. I am trying to get smarter about putting food on the playtop.  :thumbsup: Thanks for idea. At least my pi aren't the only ones....appreciate the reinforcement.....but now I know it isn't just a baby pi thing but a pi thing.....so it isn't going anywhere so I will get used to it.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 03:17:35 PM »
I realized that it may have been because Chante was looking at the other bird in the sides of the stainless bowl and was doing his trying to press his beak up against the other birds beak and pushing against it.  In any case the heavy ceramic bowl has solved the problem.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 04:52:58 AM »
Interesting theory about seeing bird in bowl

In my experience it is such an aggressive act and he throws everything from top of playtop....so he is simply a rough and tumble boy....I need to stop putting food bowls up there or get a heavy ceramic one