Author Topic: WC are great  (Read 4660 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
WC are great
« on: June 15, 2013, 02:25:57 AM »
WC seem to get a bad rep among pionus. My WC is a pretty playful guy. He talks softly a lot and loves spending his time upside down foraging and playing with toys. He is very active. I live alone and  my guess is Max is a one person bird. He is quite velcro and loves to stick by me. He calls out hello hello after he has been playing on his own too long on a play stand and wants me to come get him. He can be sociable with my Maxi in sharing space as long as it is not Maximus' cage.  He can also be unsociable with my Maxi at times so I supervise to ensure he is sharing space well on a playpen. It is odd because my WC is so much smaller than my Maxi but the behavior is manageable. Anyway life with a WC is fun. And each pi is an individual. So spread the word  -WC are great
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: WC are great
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:21:51 AM »
I think they are all wonderful, but agree that WC's do seem to have a prickly reputation.  So glad yours are compatible   ^-^

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
Forgot to make clear that the reputation is not ever the whole story.  My zon is easier to handle than Dobby the Mad Bomber...we thought he would be the good boy!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 11:18:10 AM »
My Maxi just threw toys then a food bowl at me because I got near his cage....Maxi's are supoosed to be sweet, aren't they? Anyway everyone can have a grumpy moment especially if they are objecting to a request to go back to cage.

So they are all  individuals :-)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 12:46:42 PM »
Lurch has a cage thing where he strikes at you, runs his beak menacingly across all of the objects that are smooth enough to allow it, and generally fluffs and tries to look scary. Many times if I wait a bit he'll still be fluffy and pissed looking but he'll let me scritch him while still looking like he'll shred me any minute :shocking:
He does the same thing when we sneak up on him to close his cage door at night when he decides to go to bed. Most are very cage aggressive but eventually will ALLOW their favorite person to do things near or in it if in a OK mood, though they may still fluff and threaten just so you know they aren't happy about it.
I have to be careful when rummaging around next to his cage because he'll reach over and nip me if I'm not paying attention so don't feel too bad, they really love their homes and will defend them, at least both of mine did/do.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »
Thanks for reinforcement Terry. Maximus struts sometimes on his playtop - he has this do not mess with my playtop attitude....then he says I love you and jumps on my finger. . Charlie rarely struts but he lets me know when my presence isn't wanted :-) Charlie has the cutest face when asking for scritches.   

Anyway...enjoying my feisty white cap

Offline muffinman

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:38:32 AM »
my muffin has his moments when he gets mad at me ..mostly if he sees me dress one way and i go and change clothes or when i get a hair cut or wear my glasses or a hat..but generally he is a mommy's boy...he hates my husband!!! but he like my daughter sometimes when he wants her to bring him to me.  James McMuffin is 8 years old...i love him

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »
Muffin sounds wonderful! Max can get an attitude too but mostly he is a such a joy....even a joy when he is mad really...I ignore then he soon calls for me....Hello hello good boy good boy...that's my cue.

So glad to hear from another wcp owner!

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 09:26:03 AM »

I use to own a female WC named Muffin. WC's can be great birds but like some bird's they can choose a favorite person to like/love.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline luvbirds

• Egg
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 08:54:11 PM »
It took 3 years but Xev our 4 year old WC has decided I'm okay and now she's a sweetheart who grabs my clothes to hitch a ride as I'm walking by her cage. She climbs down her boing while I'm at the computer and plays with her toys on the desk, then she eventually makes her way up to my shoulder. She's never bitten me but she lets me know when she doesn't like something with her body language.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 04:12:24 PM »
Getting through puberty must help ...

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 06:30:49 PM »
You are patient

Offline BabyCricky

• Egg
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 03:16:18 AM »
My WC is reallyy sweet. Altought she's bonded to my brother, she's nice to everyone in the house, and she gets along with all of my other birds.  :grouphug:

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 07:14:55 PM »
She sounds very sweet. Mine have gone through different phases, and I have loved them all

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 05:07:09 AM »
BabyCricky sounds wonderful