Author Topic: Food cooking smells  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Food cooking smells
« on: November 08, 2013, 07:07:59 PM »
In the past 2 weeks or so, we got new neighbors in the apartment community. They are in the unit that shares our kitchen wall. Well believe it or not, I can tell they cook A LOT!!! It always smells really delicious. Probem is, it smells (strong) in MY apartment also, and I'm not even the one cooking! It drifts through my entire place and smells as if I'm the one cooking. I've never lived anywhere that this has happened. It's crazy! I have finally located that their cooking smells THREE TIMES A DAY EVERYDAY waft through my under sink cabinet and cupboards to get into my place and fill my entire apartment.

I will report it to the manager, and they are a great professional management company who have been awesome the whole time I've lived here, but in case there's nothing that can be done about this problem... Please tell me that the odors of food are not too awful for the birds respiratory systems! If I should happen to be home, I turn on the fans and open the windows, but if I'm not home during the day and it is all closed up in here I hope it's okay. I can't move at the moment. I wish I could just tell them to stop their darn cooking! Hahaha!! I just hate it and don't know if anything can be done. I can't move the birds, cause the smell goes EVERYWHERE in here  :banghead:

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Food cooking smells
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 09:55:40 PM »
Julie, are you Delilah's original owner?

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:42:45 PM »
No. I don't know a Delilah :)

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 12:28:47 AM »

Oh, to be pretty strong smelling in your apartment... that is weird. I know food smells can travel. Keep this in mind and be aware ... if these people cook with Teflon coated pans and should they leave the heat on with no food in it as you know how this is a big problem and can and will kill parrots from the fumes of the over heated Teflon pan so if food odors are stronger than they should be in your apartment then it is very likely a over heated Teflon pan can kill your parrot. Ya, so check it out and see what's going on there.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »
I did think about the Teflon. Though its a long shot thank God, I really hope they can do something about it!!!
 Problem with having birds is (as we all know) is when we mention our concerns to non-bird people, or tell them how much we love them and they love us etc. people look at us like we are talking crazy as if we are talking about how bonded we are with our pet LIZZARD! Now if you say "my dog" well then, of course EVERYONE understands that!!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
You could get a HEPA air filter and keep it on in the bird area, but you are right, the manager needs to know.  It may be as simple as putting a barrier on their side or yours, under the sink, but you never know.

I thought you were another Julie, and am glad to know you!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 04:43:41 PM »
No problem... Common name  :)

First I'll have to see what can be done when the apartment office is open and the managers are there. I don't want to talk to the leasing agents, I think the manager will take it more seriously. Crossing fingers. Even if I didn't have birds, the smell is pretty annoying. I'm about to knock on their door and tell them they can't cook anymore at home LOL hahaha!!!
I wonder if HEPA filter would knock out Teflon fumes if any came from next door? I know even though we err on the side of caution, it really has to be overheated or brand new to cause probs, so highly unlikely thank God, but still unnerving!

Jan, or anybody agree HEPA air cleaner for fumes?

Thanks for the suggestion momazon. I read you have a mature YNA, wow you're brave - if you can handle that I think you could handle ANY species hormones lol! Is it a male?