Author Topic: winter entertainement?  (Read 2014 times)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
winter entertainement?
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »
Over the years here, I gather that Dobby is a little more mischevious than other pi's. Or maybe a lot more... Still, your birds must get bored when they cannot be outside at all.  What sorts of things do you do to keep them from dismantling everything in their paths when bored?  Dobby is now flying into my daughter's head and scraping his toenails along her scalp, as he has always done to me when he wants a dishtowel fight.  She was not hurt, of course, but very shocked.  It is funny to me, since she has always been the Love Object for him, and I have been his sparring partner from the beginning. All I can do is make him a new toy, change the perches around, and carry him on my shoulder.  He sits in the window and squawks at every bird, dog, otr person that passes by.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: winter entertainement?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 07:03:27 PM »
Have you tried target training and foraging to keep his mind busy? Sounds like you have tried a lot of ways to distract him already but teaching him wave, turnaround or other things may help if you have not already
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 12:29:18 AM »
Have been working on things like that, and he responds to whistles and flying perch to perch. He loves to call for food, and fly to it.  What is the next step?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 05:22:38 AM »
http://www.parrots.org/index.php/referencelibrary/behaviourandenviroenrich/

Try Good Bird Inc website or books or Kris Porter's Parrot Enrichment Acivitites book or website for training ideas but there is turn around, wave, picking up ring and putting in bowl, etc

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
Thank you, I can't wait to get started.  He is so bored he is taunting the dog and hanging upside down making his water and cracker noises.

I usually do not spend time wishing for more money, but the only reason I'd like to be wealthy would be to give my birds a luxury life.  A huge aviary with a few edible trees and enough room to fly around would be paradise.  Saw a setup at the zoo that would be about right, the rainforest exhibit...no harm in dreaming big...

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »
Have fun exploring the possibilities to get his mind focused on more enrichment activities. I think there are a lot of inexpensive ways to engage him. Such as using egg cartons and plastic containers fruit may come in. I stuff toilet paper and paper towel cardboard rolls with tissue paper and treats for instance. I think Kris Porter offers a lot of info for free. I may be able to find a handout from Phoenix Landing that I can email you.