Author Topic: our 13 yr old pionus is exhibiting mating behavior, how do we stop it  (Read 2628 times)

Offline mjsullivan

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Hi, we are new to this forum and have a 13 yr old white cap male we adopted from a rescue 3 yrs. ago.  He has settled in nicely, an extremely sweet little guy and we love him.  Lately we have been teaching him to bob his head up and down and rewarding with a piece of popped pop corn.  More and more he has been asking to have his head scratched, but we were careful not to touch his body.  Now when we do it he puffs up and starts cooing and stepping back and forth.  We thing somehow we inadvertently triggered mating behavior.  We do not want to frustrate or stress him but we enjoy him sitting on our hands and scratching his head.  What should we do?  We are very worried. :(

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: our 13 yr old pionus is exhibiting mating behavior, how do we stop it
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 09:00:16 PM »
You are absolutely correct not to pet the body, so you are not triggering the behavior, as far as I know.  Others here will have more info, as they have dealt with pi's longer than I (3 1/2 years), so just check back and don't be afraid to keep asking questions.

Not sure why my zon is acting nesty now after 11 years without these behaviors, but interesting that it happens at this time of year as opposed to spring or summer.  I am moving the perches and making toys, bathing them and giving lots of shoulder time. I just figured it was another phase.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 12:53:25 AM »
I understand petting head to be just fine. Petting anywhere else is not
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Pionus

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 01:20:34 AM »
Yes just the head..don't let him try to feed you either.

Offline motodane

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 05:50:23 PM »
my female blue headed is 15 and she is showing the hormonal  side now too.

Offline DaniW

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 05:42:58 AM »
I have only had our pionus for a short time, so I might not have that much to add, but I do want to mention that when we first got her she started exhibiting what we felt was- mating behaviors. She would kind of crouch, quiver,  fluff out her wings and make a gravelly "horney" sound. It got pretty crazy...to where she was doing it at least a few times an hour. we had no idea how to stop it. We have Obviously couldn't punish it, but tried not to reinforce it. We would just walk away whenever she started and pretty much ignore her. Interestingly, we moved her to a new place in our home the living room and changed up her cage little bit, and she started to warm up to us more and spend more time with us. The behavior has stopped almost completely, other than perhaps once or twice a week. I have to wonder if it was boredom, or in someway not liking the way her cage was situated in the other room. It seems to be an action showing discontent or lack of activity. Now that she's more interactive with us and the cage is more out in the open with us, it's ended.
Maybe your little fella needs a change of scenery? Just a thought!