Author Topic: Pics of Raven... finally!  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Pics of Raven... finally!
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »
Okay, here he is!! My brand new boy :icon_mrgreen: Raven was hatched at the end of August, and will be with me after the new year.

I wanted a male, and he definitely had the most personality (as you can see from the one pic especially at the bottom) out of the bunch. Breeder says he is definitely the most outgoing and "chatty" of the four. I posted the best pics here, but in other pics I can see that Raven has the little personality, and siblings (1 brother, 2 sisters) seem to just have blank looks LOL. I hope that doesn't mean he's more of a handful than normal!
Actually might be good, since BW have a reputation of being shy - it might make him easier to socialize and adjust if he's naturally more outgoing.

His breeder confirmed... he IS Chante's younger brother as she only has the one breeder pair.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Pics of Raven... finally!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:48:09 PM »
Congrats on such a cutie.....I think breeder is advertising one BW for sale. Must be Raven's sister.BW colors are so gorgeous. Nice to see baby. Look forward to seeing colors change on your Raven. I think that is one of joys I experienced owning a baby pi
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »
Well lets hope he's a bit calmer overall then Lurch can be at times. He has his full battle moments and is quite OK with everyone too and has a lot of personality.
He was very upset when we had to leave for a short time tonight and was all puffy and busy biting our coat sleeves to let us know how putout he was.
He looks great and like a ball of energy so should be a lot of fun once you two get to know each other.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 11:06:17 PM »
Thanks!
Maxsmom, yes looks like Raven's one sister is still for sale. I can't wait to see his final adult coloration. The sister doesn't have ANY pink throat color which is kind of unusual to have absolutely none. If it stays that way, might look pretty unique and interesting! The other girl is similar. I wanted one with the most extensive area of pink color if possible (if you google BW pics you see many that have a ton of color all down the front) but a nice clean patch of color right at the throat like Raven's looks good too. Especially in adult color, a mostly navy blue front is very handsome, especially when I've read the males get more pronounced blue than females. I don't know, cant tell by pics. Besides, if he ends up mostly dark, he'll live up to his name more :) my other parrot Robin has an orange front like a robin does.

Dartman, do you see some marked differences between Lurch and Nerd, being the same species? Then again, I guess you would since they're individuals. Do you also see similarities that might be stereotypical Maxi traits? Speaking of coloration, I love the Maxi's antique olive with the dusty purple chest. In fact, now that I think about it, ALL Pionus are some of the most beautifully colored parrots there are! Even prettier than some of the bright flashy ones in my opinion.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 11:37:42 PM »
Nerd was very introverted and reserved. He would take forever to decide a person or toy was OK, but once he decided it was he was all over it. He tended to get scared and would do the Pionus weeze quite a bit and scared the crap outa the vet the first time they saw him because most there hadn't seen one and didn't know about it.
He also was very loving with me and would happily hang out beside me for hours and preen, get scritches and beg treats.
He very rarely bit  and almost always had a clear reason, like being hurt or scared.
Lurch is much bigger, more outgoing, and seems to be interested in and sorta like everybody though he does like me best.
He almost NEVER does the weeze, will get in a pissy mood and try to bite or go into full battle mode, is also very loving and also likes to just hang out and get scritches or treats.
Nerd noises were all wild Maxi noises, he never talked but we understood each other just fine. He had a piercing flock call, BAWEEEP! he'd do and knew exactly what my car sounded like a block away and would get excited for daddy to come home.
He didn't fly well and would walk on the floor to the couch to get nutra berries and peanuts, if we didn't get with it right away he'd go CHIRP loudly to wake us up and get his goodies.
Lurch now flies very well and has better endurance so he flies over later and gets his treats, usually from my sister. He'll land behind her head on the couch and wait mostly patiently for her to fork over a nutra berrie, he doesn't care as much about peanuts.
Nerd liked to have fierce play fights where I'd tap a wing and he'd try to grab the offending finger and we'd get very loud and it sounded like he was trying to kill me but he'd be mortified if I went OUCH! and stop immediately. 
Lurch does talk and will say Hi, Hello, good morning baby boy, OH BOY, what ae you doing, hi sweet heart and others. Sometimes fairly clearly, most times all squeaky like a deranged pirate :biglaughing: plus his pirate swearing where he just kinda makes things up and you can tell he's upset with you.
They both fed, try to feed me and both are/were MOSTLY quiet but can get very loud at times.
Village Idiot

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 02:28:11 PM »
He is so cute. Chante has a lot of pink on his chest and throat and also has very coral colored eye rings and I think all of Maggies birds do; Chante's brother, who I met when I got Chante and the person who adopted him a few months ago is in a Facebook Pionus group I am in, also has very Coral eye rings. His name is Benjamin.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 05:53:17 PM »
Thanks Nancy. I've read that the coral eye rings come upon sexual maturity. Raven had the most pink on the chest out of his siblings, but in his particular clutch no one had a ton of color. It doesn't matter that much to me anymore. I already love him!!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »
Coral eye rings are nice
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 06:19:21 PM »
Yes, those white caps have the same pretty coral eye rings too! New avatar?

Offline Dani

• Egg
  • Bronson The Little Raptor
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 08:09:04 AM »
Julie he is ADORABLE!! Can't wait to see him with you!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 11:22:12 AM »
Thanks Dani  :icon_mrgreen: I'm getting very anxious too as the time gets closer.
I thought Bronson's pic on your avatar was super adorable! Does she have an extra cute face?! LOL! I'm sure you think so! Rare that you found a BW at a pet store, wow. They're harder to find nowdays. I had to get Raven from out of state. When I had a BW before, they were at least a little easier to get.

Offline Dani

• Egg
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 12:34:37 PM »
Absolutely Bronson has an extra adorable face! Glad you noticed! :wink1: It is very fortunate that I found her at a petco!! Right now our petco has a PATAGONIAN CONURE baby!!! I just can't believe it! I stay away because I so want that baby!!!  :faint:

Do you have a set date yet? I know it depends on when he is weaned. Do you have his cage all set up and waiting?  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 01:35:32 PM »
Dani, Raven should be home sometime in January. He is probably just about done weaning right now, but can't take him yet - breeder is fine with that. My mom had shoulder surgery, so I will be busy in December helping her more.
I noticed you also have listed you have a Bourkes? My mom has a Rosy Bourkes! She had a bird phobia, but I somehow one day managed to get her over it and convinced her to get the least intimidating parrot out there in her favorite color, pink! His name is Pinky. She also has a Princess of Wales. She really babies them, though they're not real handleable being usually aviary species.

Yes, I have a cage I've used for a much larger bird. Now I'm glad I didn't end up selling it. The cage is much bigger than a Pi needs, but Raven will be lucky with all the extra room! It's one inch bar spacing which concerned me, until I read on Jan's website (and other posts of hers) where she said 1 inch is completely fine for any Pionus specie. I figure if anyone could say it confidently, Jan would know! I already have a ton of really cool toys for him!

Petco with a BW, then a Patagonian wow :shocking: out here in southern CA you see green cheeks and cockatiels. Maybe a Sun conure.

Offline Dani

• Egg
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »
It would be great if you could get Raven by Christmas time, will you have to travel to get him or will he be shipped?

Awwww glad your mom got over her phobia, thanks to you. Yeah Bourke's are the least intimidating birds, Gracie is a Rosy too one of my hand fed babies. Now I could kick myself for letting go of her parents which were hand tame pets as well. Live and learn. Gracie is a sweetheart. I had a pair of "Wales" too, again I could kick myself for letting them go! You'd think as old as I am I would learn.......

One inch bar spacing is fine and the bigger the better I think. Bronson is in a big roomy cage as well, she uses all the space. Lots of room to hang toys!

Petco always has conures and budgies, and every now and then something awesome such as a Pionus, Patagonian or an Alexandrine.  :love5:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 07:52:16 PM »
I want to get him ASAP, but don't know if by Christmas. I do consider Raven my Christmas present to myself though!

Have to have him shipped. Bummer to have to pay extra for airline shipping, but not really feasible to drive to Indiana from California to get him and drive back again!  :rofl: