Author Topic: Too funny  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Al_96789

• Egg
Too funny
« on: November 03, 2012, 04:11:53 PM »
Carla is a 17 year old BW rescue that has been with us since Feb 2011. We have a 15 year old heinze 57 dog, about 12 pounds, that Carla loves. Shelly, the dog, doesn't necessarily feel the same way. When I'm at work my wife has Carla out and Carla runs around chasing Shelly because she wants to be with her, close to the same size I guess. Yesterday Shelly had an acupunture appointment and my wife picked her up to take her to the bathroom to get her cleaned up. Carla got upset and flew off her cage. Carla chased my wife around the livingroom even though she had put Shelly down. They eventually ended up in the bathroom and Carla oversaw the entire process of Shelly getting ready for her appointment.

Today, Saturday, Carla spent about 2 hours chasing Shelly around the house just because she wants to be friends. Shelly keeps running away. Carla still spent hours on my shoulder, but she really wants to spend some time with Shelly.
Carla - BW

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: Too funny
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:14:59 AM »
Yep can be cute but wonder why her interest in the dog is strong?  Is Carla really wanting to be friends with Shelly or is she out to give her a good bite if she makes contact??!!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Al_96789

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 06:57:26 PM »
She really wants to be friends. She has had the opportunity to bite Shelly many times, and never has. Shelly has an ear infection right now and Carla makes sure Leslie is taking good care of her. Leslie had Shelly on the sofa working on Shelly's ears and Carla flew from her cage to the sofa to supervise and make sure Shelly wasn't being hurt. Carla has only bitten me and Leslie.
Carla - BW

Offline Al_96789

• Egg
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 03:55:43 PM »
Jan,

Leslie and I were just talking about this. I'm gone most of the day and don't see all the interaction, but Leslie agrees Carla has had ample opportuntiy to bite Shelly if she wanted to. Shelly has seizures and Carla seems to know when Shelly is having a bad day. Carla goes over to Shelly and regergitates quite frequently. Carla preans Shelly when she can, and gets upset with Leslie when Leslie is attending to Shelly's ears or when she gives Shelly medicine. It seems to be one of those instances of one specieces taking care of another.

A little while ago Carla was on my shoulder and saw Leslie about 10 feet away rubbing Shelly with her feet. Carla got upset and flew down there to make sure Shelly wasn't being hurt.

I don't know, but Carla definately loves Shelly.
Carla - BW

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »

Yah that seems sweet but you know a dog is how many times bigger, just hope Carla does not get hurt by her even if it is not on purpose.  Some animals just fall in love with other types. 
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 12:07:36 AM »
This is very, very sweet!

Offline Al_96789

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »
We went to San Antonio to buy property over Thanksgiving. A friend was watching Shelly, the dog. She had a few seizures while we were gone. In the first hour we were back Shelly had three seizures, and several every day after we got back. We had her put to sleep on Tuesday as there was nothing we could do for her and it was really pretty bad. Carla did watch out for Shelly in the last days. She bit me twice and stood guard over Shelly when Shelly was sleeping. Carla just wanted to watch out for Shelly, she knew something was wrong. Shelly is buried in a pet cemetary on the North Shore, she spent most of her life here in Hawaii, and should stay here. There is a great view of the Pacific Ocean.
Carla - BW

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 01:32:28 AM »
So sorry for your loss!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 02:43:10 AM »
So sorry. Hard to go through this. I am coming up on first anniversary of putting my pet down. I hope warm memories comfort you as it does with me. Sounds like a wonderful dog. Wishing you peace
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Al_96789

• Egg
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 03:52:32 PM »
Thank you all very much. We are very sad, but very grateful for having had her in our lives, and she had great life. We live in a small condo complex and Shelly was everybody's favorite. We came to Hawaii in 2002 with two cats and Shelly. We had agreed that after all passed we would not have any more pets so it would be easier to travel. Both cats passed several years ago. Well, Carla showed up about 2 years ago and adopted me, so that has changed. I now have a responsibility to take care of her. I believe everything happens for a reason. Shelly will be missed, but fondly remembered. Thanks again.
Carla - BW

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 06:20:02 PM »
My sincere regrets on the loss of your sweet pup.  It is wonderful that Carla watched over her, you have an extraordinary bird.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »
Yes, Carla's and Shelly's relationship sounds so amazing to me. 
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto