Author Topic: First time Pionus owner today in SoCal.  (Read 1987 times)

Offline lebowski

• Egg
First time Pionus owner today in SoCal.
« on: November 30, 2013, 06:53:48 PM »
hi everyone. i am 'lebowski' and today i bought my first pionus. i bought him and 'birds and b's' in ventura California. he is 3 years old, came with a dna certificate and has lived his whole life at the store. the owner hand fed him and his sibling, who found a home easily but this bird has always been hand shy, and has never sold! i would take a picture but i am not going to traumatize him in any way after the day the poor fellow has had! nails, wings beak, put in a box, hour drive in car, and then deposited into a new, strange cage.
i went into the store yesterday to get a baby lovebird, something i am familiar with, and that's when i saw the pionus, and went back today.
he's very beautiful aside from his back tail feathers which are stringy looking.
i've heard he has a powerful bite so at the store i held him in a towel, and even though he was in the towel he ate an almond out of my hand. i decided that was good enough for me.
anyhow, i don't have a name for him yet, feel free to offer suggestions on names and anything else that  might help me.
my other family members are:
2 super obnoxious little dogs
6 society finches
1 red factor canary
1 baby lovebird
1 bearded dragon
and now
1 pionus..... i still cant believe i got a pionus, i've always wanted one!

p.s. just used the spellchecker on this and cant believe it doesnt know the word 'pionus'!!! lol!
"Sometimes the first step to forgiveness is realizing the other person is batshit crazy."
OR.....“If we learn to open our hearts, anyone, including the people who drive us crazy, can be our teacher.”
― Pema Chödrön

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: First time Pionus owner today in SoCal.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 07:14:05 PM »
 :schild27:

So wonderful to bring him home! What type of pi? Aside from taking him to an avian vet for testing in the next days I suggest giving him time and space to get used to new home. Pi like to observe and once they are comfy they interact more when they are faced with new situations. I suggest target/clicker training to get him more hand trained. Feed lots of veggies, especially those rich in vitamin A, and a good quality pellet. They like to chew soft wood like balsa. Try to find copy of Practical Pionus by Russ Shade

What a joy you have bought home. You will love your pionus.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 07:18:05 PM »
Also I suggest that you quarantine your new bird given you have quite the flock

Offline lebowski

• Egg
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »
thanks for the warm welcome and good advice, max's mom! he is a maximillian.
"Sometimes the first step to forgiveness is realizing the other person is batshit crazy."
OR.....“If we learn to open our hearts, anyone, including the people who drive us crazy, can be our teacher.”
― Pema Chödrön

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful addictive world of Pionus Parrot Parenthood. I have 2 males, an older blue head male who I got through my local rescue and a very hand shy bronze wing male I got from the woman who bred him and hand fed him but from about 4 months to 14 months he just spent time with his older brother and became quite hand shy. Just give him time to settle in and dont try to rush things, Pionus parrots tend to be rather cautious at first. I had to add Pionus to the dictionary in the spell check on my computer also

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »
Welcome Lebowski. Glad you got your Pi! Some great advice was already given here... I can't wait to hear what name you settle on.
I also started with finches. See how easy it is to become a parrot person? Seems like a natural progression to me  :)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 10:46:38 PM »
I have a 9 year old maxi and a 20 month old wc.  You will love your maxi. The are loving.  Just give him time. I got my maxi 1 year ago. He needed time to adjust but he is sweet. Definitely do positive reinforcement training to engage him

But yeah  :cheerleader: another maxi owner on the forum