Author Topic: This is not mating behavior, right?  (Read 3243 times)

Offline BabyCricky

• Egg
This is not mating behavior, right?
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:36:12 AM »
I have a question about my Pi's behavior: Sometimes when we whistle at her (no matter who does it) she fans her tail and her feathers get fluffed, but she doesn't get agressive, in fact what she wants in that moment is a head scratch. What does that behavior mean? She does it with everyone, no matter if is a woman or a man. She's 1 year and 7 months old.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: This is not mating behavior, right?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:30:59 AM »
I do not think this is mating  behaviour. Great she sounds very socialized
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline BabyCricky

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 02:41:28 AM »
She does <3

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »
Not at all mating behavior.  She is responding to your call.  When the mating behavior comes, just deal with it calmly.  My zon is 11 and just now trying to make nests in drawers.  slow bloomer, I guess, or maybe I did not explain The Facts Of Life well enough, early enough.  If I take her out in the car and let her sit atop the computer in the evening, she does not try to nest so much.  Any distraction helps, but that shaking and ruffling is called a rouse.  A full body rouse means they are very pleased.

Offline BabyCricky

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 12:25:19 AM »
Not at all mating behavior.  She is responding to your call.  When the mating behavior comes, just deal with it calmly.  My zon is 11 and just now trying to make nests in drawers.  slow bloomer, I guess, or maybe I did not explain The Facts Of Life well enough, early enough.  If I take her out in the car and let her sit atop the computer in the evening, she does not try to nest so much.  Any distraction helps, but that shaking and ruffling is called a rouse.  A full body rouse means they are very pleased.
Thank you! You got me out of any doubt!  :ty1:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 12:36:11 AM »
Momazon, my Red Bellied parrot was also about 11 when he started having his worst hormonal times for several years where he'd go crazy and take chunks of flesh out... small chunks but nonetheless, or hung on like a crazed pitbull. He can still bite hard once in a while but I think he is finally mellowing out some at 19.
At least with Cricky being female, I don't think most females get real aggressive like the males when hormonal. I'd rather have male birds but that is definitely a drawback.

Offline Dani

• Egg
  • Bronson The Little Raptor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:24:30 AM »
BabyCricky what you are seeing is called the "Pionus Strut" LOL   All Pionus display this way, male or female, young or old.  :icon_mrgreen:

You have to be careful about this because it could mean different things at different times. Sometimes it could be happy excitement or territorial or if your introducing a new item. Just like the Pionus "Wheeze" have you experienced the "wheeze" yet?

Always approach slowly and try to see what has him strutting about. When Bronson is strutting I can always approach her and ask her to step up with no problems, she is 8 and has never ever bitten me, but I'm always cautious because that could change at any time. Always a good rule to follow.

I have to admit, I get a kick out of the strut and usually just watch and giggle.  :wink1:

Offline Dani

• Egg
  • Bronson The Little Raptor
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 08:32:45 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-re05Xs_BuU

Found a video on youtube of the Pionus Strut......there are a couple on Youtube.  :blink:  Hope the link works, if not just go to youtube and type in Pionus Strut.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline BabyCricky

• Egg
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 03:32:32 AM »
BabyCricky what you are seeing is called the "Pionus Strut" LOL   All Pionus display this way, male or female, young or old.  :icon_mrgreen:

You have to be careful about this because it could mean different things at different times. Sometimes it could be happy excitement or territorial or if your introducing a new item. Just like the Pionus "Wheeze" have you experienced the "wheeze" yet?

Always approach slowly and try to see what has him strutting about. When Bronson is strutting I can always approach her and ask her to step up with no problems, she is 8 and has never ever bitten me, but I'm always cautious because that could change at any time. Always a good rule to follow.

I have to admit, I get a kick out of the strut and usually just watch and giggle.  :wink1:
Yes, I experienced the "wheeze". But when she does the strut she's not behaving agressively.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 05:26:47 AM »
Lucky you. When my baby struts I back away :-) He definitely is saying I am king of the castle when he struts. It is like he is a lion.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 11:31:24 AM »
When Nerd strutted you left him alone as he was showing what a rough tough motorcycle rider he was. I COULD touch him because he totally trusted and respected me but normally I didn't because it really put him out to be bothered during manly showing off time.
Lurch I don't touch unless I want a bite or at least a threatening lunge at me :shades:
Village Idiot