Author Topic: Introducing New Bird ??  (Read 3113 times)

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
Introducing New Bird ??
« on: November 10, 2012, 08:48:07 AM »
I brought home my new bronze wing boy on Thursday. He got a vet check and she said he is in good health except may need more Vitamin A. He came from an aviary that is small and my vet said it would be ok to have him in the same room as my others. I put him in the living room with my other birds and Adam, my blue head, is not happy with another Pionus in the room. He has suddenly gone back to hissing and lunging at me. Usually Adam will complain until I give him his head scratched but this morning he refused to let me scratch his head. The new boy (still unnamed but he may be Chalco as in chalcopterus) is in his own cage and Adam has not been moved. I am wondering if they are too close and I should move Chalco across the room where Adam cant see him. I am sure this will eventually pass and my hope is eventually they can be friends.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Introducing New Bird ??
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:42:05 AM »
I think they would make a lot of noise if they can hear each but not see each other.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 11:16:19 AM »
Well after about a week Adam went back to his old self, back to wanting head scratches and being fairly mellow. I guess he realizes his position is not threatened. This morning Chante tried to fly across the room but landed on the floor and I had him step up and was carrying him across the room to his cage top and Adam did hiss at me but as soon as Chante was off my hand it stopped, I guess he was just a little jealous. Amazingly I have not had much of a call of the Pionus going on, they are not screaming at (or to) each other.

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:27:01 AM »
Yes, I would say Adam has some concerns for jealousy ... Mama is sharing her love with some other fid! Just try to give Adam the same treatment you have always done and of course do not show more to Chante than Adam until all is good ... at least not in Adam's view point.

Good luck!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:04:16 AM »
How are Adam and Chante getting along now?
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto