Author Topic: Got Along Today  (Read 3149 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Got Along Today
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »
So Max is better now that he is clipped. He can still get to Charlie cage but rarely tries. He is a bit frustated as he can't easily fly off his cage. So I gave him a floor to cage ladder. Well Charlie loves Max's ladder apparently. As soon as I walked out the room this morning Charlie walked down his ladder, ran across carpet and up Max's ladder. Max was on his playtop and watched. I thought CHARLIE ARE YOU CRAZY. Then I decided to just watch and intervene if I needed to because this was Max's cage and Charlie made decision to do this knowing what a character Max is. So instead of moving Max as I normally would I let it play out.

Well Max was not aggressive, Charlie kept an eye on Max and explored the cage, then he decided to use the ladder to leave peacefully.

No aggression. Coexisting in the same space. It was a good morning.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: Got Along Today
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 01:49:31 PM »

That's really good news!  I know you are so hoping that they get along eventually ... maybe they will in due time.  You know how birds are: what is yours, is mine!!!  What is mine, is mine!!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Great to hear it's all working out well!  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 04:06:04 PM »
Well I spoke too soon Charlie did it again just now only Max wasn't happy.  Not sure why Charlie would go to Max's cage for visits. Well at least I still have hope for the future that they will be friends. Each peaceful moment of coexisting adds up.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 04:55:44 PM »
Like you say, each peacefully coexisting moment adds up. That would be nice if they got along so you can use same play stands, etc. without having to always be watching. Robin has never gotten along with any other bird.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 08:24:58 PM »
I had Max for 4 months before I got Charlie. Max tolerated Charlie's visits at first and would visit Charlie. But Charlie was too familiar and friendly. Visiting too much. Seemed to get on Max's nerves as if Max liked his own personal space.  But I have hope for the future for them to peacefully coexist. I didn't know my work hours would change so much when I got them so I still feel it is good that they are in separate cages in the same room.....having another being there while I am away.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 10:29:39 PM »
Nerd used to have his brother Ferd with him when I first got them and seeing how they were family or at least best buds they got along great and kept each other company. It did make it harder to get them any tamer then taking treats and things but they were happy together so didn't have to worry about a sad bird with not enough attention while I went out to do young guy things all day with my friends.
When Ferd just suddenly got sick and died that same day a few years after I got them Nerd was pretty heart broken for a while but then realized he was stuck with me and we slowly became best buds till his last day.
If your not around a lot the extra companion is a good thing for them I think but if they're kinda wild yet and don't trust you it might make gaining trust and friendship a bit harder.
Nerd did adjust and seemed happy to be the only critter who got all of the household attention and pretty sure he snoozed and played with his toys till somebody got home then he was a free ranging parrot just like Lurch. If they aren't complete family separate cages and supervision while out is best I think for sure.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 11:38:46 PM »
That makes me feel guilty for (15+ years ago) at one point in Robin's life, he was alone SO much of the time. In a little spare bedroom all by himself. I think I only ran upstairs where he was to say a quick hi and make sure he didn't run out of food or water daily, and that was literally the extent of the interaction. I went through a phase where I was too busy (and/or found other interests in life) for several years where I really didn't want to be bothered with a pet. Shame on me, I was not too young either. I wish SO badly now I could take back those years, now my boy is old... :( and I love him so very deeply. More than any animal EVER.

ANYWAY, he DID survive it... No plucking, no behavior issues. Though no one should ever leave a pet bird that alone, he's a species that's naturally resilient to being left alone. When I started back having him as my beloved boy again, he acted like nothing ever happened.  Like it was always that way. No grudge or anything. Amazing. I love him! :heart3: I think he STILL wishes there were no other birds around though!
Sorry, gettin sort of OT but Terry's post reminded me of this.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 12:01:15 AM »
Both my boys are more bonded to me than each other but I do think company is good. Max probably is not sure why we needed Charlie and sharing me isn't ideal to him.. (gosh does he glare when Charlie is getting scritches)....but one must adjust. Convinced having company is good when I am gone. Had tiels who got along but were not buddies. Had one for 9 years by itself. It seemed to wait to eat while I was gone as a solo but did better with another bird there when I was gone. Problem is it is hard to give 2 undivided attention when one is home. This will prevent me from 3.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 10:11:08 AM »
As much as I'm looking forward to having Raven, I'm kind of nervous about Robin adjusting again to another parrot around him getting attention too. Before, he was jealous at first then became accustomed to it when he realized he had no choice. It has been a while, so I hope he
still has no problem with it.
I agree, unless there is another human who takes part in bird care or attention also living in the same place, plus depending on individual's work hours, it is very hard to have multiple birds, and imperative to have the independent species. Might be slightly easier if you don't have jealousy issues and everyone gets along - you see pics with people with lots birds sitting on them, and makes you say wow, wonder HOW they do it!

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »
Last night Adam and Chante were sitting on Chante's cage, Chante started making some interesting sounds and I looked over and saw him trying to mount Adam! Such are the hormones of the young, Adam just pushed him away with his foot and walked away

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 10:54:24 AM »
Maybe another  DNA sex test is needed...   :shocking:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 03:56:30 PM »
Ladder to Max's cage had to come down. Charlie kept visiting over weekend...mostly interested in  seeing if there was different food or a different window view.....major argument. No one hurt

I will keep dreaming of two birds coexisting well :wink1:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 05:13:47 PM »
Have been home from work for a few days. They have been going back and forth between cages pretty peacefully. Both eatng in Charlie's cage now....and it is peaceful. Tried putting Max in his own cage to eat same pellets that are in his own cage. He went back to Charlie's cage...go figure

I am NOT complaining...two birds coexisting...sharing a window and going back and forth between both cages

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 08:30:58 PM »
Great news! So glad to hear that Charlie and Max are starting to become accepting of one another. Maybe one day they will even become "friends". In fact, I think there's a good chance it will happen over time. Seems like when I've seen birds become friends, the first step is seeing them become more tolerant of each other. Then again, who knows. Will be interesting to hear updates later to see how close they decide to become.
I've always wondered how some parrots become "friends" with some and not others. Slender Billed Too I had loved an Eclectus (though not from same area of the world), but when she got in her new home with a bunch of other Toos including other Australians, she never made a "friend" not even years later. I guess they're like people... Some we click with, some are just okay, and others not so much  :icon_mrgreen: