Author Topic: Jolly Balls  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Jolly Balls
« on: December 29, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »
Well, I've tried and TRIED at 2 computers now to post pics to no avail!!!!
I know how to do it, but these computers won't let me do it the way I did it before on my mom's computer (which was still a pain- lots of steps to get out of email, save, resize, and post...) SO, ANYWAY, no pic for today :( will try again when I have access to a "cooperative" computer).

I'm assuming some of you might know what a Jolly Ball is? If not, look up online if you're interested  :)

I know Jan uses them, she used to sell them. Anyone else have experience using a Jolly Ball for parrots? I had my eye on one for a while, and finally couldn't resist. I got a purple one for Raven, and I can't wait to see him use it! 
My concern is about when a parrot becomes sexually mature, I wonder if it might stimulate hormonal behaviors since it is an enclosed space like a nest. I've always stayed away from these type of toys for parrots for this reason. Is that something I shouldn't worry about? I guess if he got aggressive and didn't want to be removed from the ball at least he is stick trained. I got it anyway cause it looks really fun. Let me know if you have used these or other "enclosed" or nest-like toys, and how your mature parrots acted. Thanks  :)

I am planning on getting a cage hanger to put it on (tall hanger hook for small cages). Thanks Maxsmom for suggesting that a little while back  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Jolly Balls
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 06:37:03 PM »
I do not have one because my vet stated I needed to get rid of happy hut during hormone years. I figure he would say same thing about jolly ball. I understand many have them and are happy
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:40:49 PM »
Hormone years... I guess he means during puberty. I'm thinking that the same goes for every "breeding season" thereafter too. Yep, you've confirmed my fears.  :-\

Anyone else ever used any enclosed object like a Jolly Ball, Happy Hut, or a big box to play in simulating a nest box with mature birds and didn't have too much of a problem?

Jan I hope you see this post!  :hello1:

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 12:14:42 AM »

Hi Julie - I have a 10" size for Blu and she is a bit over 4 years old ... so far she has not expressed nesting behavior in it.  She does sleep in it during the early evening hours until I put her in her cage for the night.  I have heard/read where some have said their bird got nesty in it.  I know people have concerns on this sort of thing before buying a jolly ball.  You just never know how the bird is going to be with it until the time comes.  If it does happen then you'd just need to remove the ball from the bird's access.

What about these birds who lay eggs in the bottom of their cage?  We don't take away their cage because of that. 
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 02:57:28 AM »
I am sure some have positive and some have negative experiences with jolly balls and happy huts and aggressive hormonal behavior.  Not sure I would put cages in same discussion  but everyone is entitled to their opinions

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 10:32:14 AM »
Jan (or anyone) is it the females only who get this "nesty" behavior when enclosed, or can it be males too?
I realize it depends much on the individual bird, but wondering if aggressive nest protecting can be true of any Pionus regardless of sex.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 12:21:11 PM »
I have males and my avian vet discussed this with me in the context of a male pi entering into hormonal period.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 05:41:10 PM »
 :-[ 
Oh well, Raven still has a while to be a little kid anyway. After that we'll have to play by ear.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 07:28:11 PM »
But wait till he hits the hormonal years  :AvatarSmileyLOL:  He is Chante's brother and did you see the video of Chante and Adam under behavior?

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 12:58:54 AM »
Yes I saw it Nancy. Yikes!! :shocking: He won't have the opportunity for any of that! Robin HATES other birds and is half Raven's size, so I think I'm going to have to keep them apart anyway.