Author Topic: Is new cage after many years good idea??  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Is new cage after many years good idea??
« on: December 17, 2013, 12:15:06 AM »
I've been noticing in the past several years, that Robin really could stand a new home. Good quality cage, it lasted a very long time. It's not in dire need of replacement asap, but does have several areas with signs of a pretty good amount of wear and won't last another 10 years for sure. Trouble is, I got that cage for him when he was a little boy 19 years ago! Imagine him being used to the cage (and perch positions, and particulars) for that many years, then just taking it away and giving him a different one. I mean, I can't get the exact same color/shape/size because from what I understand the company is no longer around.
Also I really want to try a different style. Would that be mean? I'd really feel mean.  >:D

What do you all think about this? Changing the home he loves and has been comfortable with all his life nearly 20 years. He's proven to be a resilient bird, but still it is probably very stressful no matter what.

Another thing... when I'm ready to do this, I'd like to try a play top style, where now he has a dome top style. I wonder if a similar shape won't freak him out as bad as a totally different style, or if he'd be freaked out about the same amount regardless. If that's the case, I like the play top style that has a tall toy hook attached to the top. I've seen that in several brands.

What do you think?  :dunno: I want to hear your opinions!  :ty2:

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Is new cage after many years good idea??
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 01:55:43 AM »
Do you have room to get the new cage, keep it in the same area, and put new and better toys in it?  Then maybe leave it like that for a while, and once he is sleeping in the new one, take out the old?  I kept my old cages for outside in the summertime, under a canopy. Lap of luxury, it was, they loved it!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 02:27:51 AM »
I agree. If you have room have new cage in same room with old cage and let your bird get used to new cage gradually. See if it will adjust to new cage.  If you can't keep both cages long term then selling old one is still an option.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:17:38 AM »
You could set up a lot of the perches similar to the way they are in the old cage. I have 2 budgies that I adopted about 2 1/2 yrs ago that were together in the same cage for 8 years and was hesitant to move them to my flight cage. But when Kiwi passed away IO dodmt want his friend and cagemate Mac to be alone so I moved them into the flight and they did just fine - I did put their favorite sleeping perches in with them. Unfortunately Mac was not in good health (tumors) and passed away a week later but both the old boys are doing fine in their new cage

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »
Forgot to add that mine do love their old cages, but could not wait to get into the new ones, especially when I kept makeing a big deal over them saying, "THIS is DOB'S cage, it is soooo Pretty!"  They also love Christmas, and sitting on our shoulders watching us open their jar of peanut butter and toys!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 11:39:10 AM »
Now that I think about it, I do remember hearing about that method - putting the new cage next to the old one so the bird can transition gradually as he becomes familiar with it.

Problem is, no I don't have room in the apartment where his cage is now. There is a little space to do that if I moved where he's at - which I was planning on doing soon anyway. He's in the dining area right by the kitchen and I need to put him in the living room. He's half the size of a Pi so doesn't need a huge cage. I don't think I'll do this right away, but I'm going to have to at some point. Thank you for your input! I like that suggestion and I'm glad I was reminded of that. Makes sense.  :)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »
Momazon

Your Christmas with birds sounds fun.

:merrymoose:
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 01:37:45 AM »
 :santa2: :santasleigh2: :cold: