Author Topic: Talking Ability  (Read 1376 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Talking Ability
« on: December 24, 2013, 06:19:56 AM »
This is not meant to put any other type of bird down. But people always talk about how well their bird speaks - birds other than pionus such as greys. Pionus are not known for talking ability.  When I listen to videos of other species of birds - I often think that is just as garbled as next bird. Some birds speak so clearly and some don't. Pionus are not known for speaking ability....garbled and not many words. But honestly I do not think pionus should be discounted for their speaking ability after listening to videos of other species. In my view pionus speak just as clearly or garbled as next bird, depending on the individual bird (granted some species are gifted speakers)......but then again I may be a biased pionus parront :)
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Talking Ability
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:01:08 PM »
Some people REALLY seem to put a lot of value on speaking ability of a parrot. To me it's just an added bonus. I'm lucky if I ever have parrots who talk at all considering I have NO patience to teach animals anything :-\ of course besides step up and basics. If I ever get a dog it better already come trained LOL!
Robin mostly makes household noises, but says some words and phrases (usually poorly). He's picked up a fair amount over the past two decades. I can't wait to see how well Raven (Pi) picks up words and sounds over time as compared to Robin (Poi).

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 09:58:30 AM »
Never cared if Nerd talked, I understood him and he understood me so we got along just fine making bird noises at each other. He also knew his name and had a name he called me plus pretty sure a name for himself.
Lurch talks and yes it was a cool bonus, though most times he sounds like a drunk and deranged pirate who's swearing at me in some unknown tongue. He practices his favorites when he thinks he's alone and occasionally throws out a new word or phrase he's learned from us so they do listen and pick up things as they go.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »
Yes to getting their meaning across, and yes to not caring if they talk.  Maybe that's why we do not have greys, their owners seem to want talkers. A big yes to how they sound like drunken pirates!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:13:08 AM »
Agreed talking is not the emphasis and their voices can be pretty garbled. Charlie actually is a clear speaker...just not a wide vocabulary. Max is garbled. But honestly in hearing other species speak I am not sure pi are more garbled than the next species

Thanks for responses

She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto