Author Topic: What healthy fresh foods do your pi eat?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
What healthy fresh foods do your pi eat?
« on: December 28, 2013, 06:55:43 AM »
I have 2 pi. One I have had most of his life and the other for just part of his life. One is a very very healthy eater. One isn't as healthy. One thinks veggies are dessert and will not eat pasta. The other wants pasta but does not care for veggies unless it is corn. 

Neither will eat sweet potato of any form, neither eat egg, neither eat mash or chop. From a parrot training class I went to I learned that most birds will eat egg and chop from the bird foundation's experience. A friend without pi but with 4 birds echoed that experience. Given my 2 pi with different eating habits are rejecting foods that many others tell me their birds eat I am wondering if this is a pi thing.

Do your pionus parrots eat sweet potato,  mash, egg?  What healthy fresh foods do your pi eat?
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline E

• Nestling
Re: What healthy fresh foods do your pi eat?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 12:44:52 PM »
Eloy is eating everything I eat, (we eat together at dinner table) so if I eat healthy, ( I do!!) he eats healthy.   :icon_mrgreen:

Breakfast: Oatmel porridge with raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. No sugar added, but little honey, I have in.

Lunch: Peas, corn, peppers, rice, carrot, apple, mango, pineapple, turkey, eggs, sprouted mung beans, cranberries, cottage cheese, yogurt, coconut oil, turmeric and curry.

Snack:

Dessert:

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 12:57:16 PM »
Fantastic photos! I just love them.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »
Gorgeous photography!!

I would eat Eloy's lunch myself... Sounds good to me. Gives me the idea for tuna or chicken salad with cashews, raisins, carrots and curry! I'll have to make some for myself. Maybe birds would like that too?

It seems like birds who have not been exposed to a variety of foods at a very young age, get set in their ways, and would be very difficult if not impossible (depending on the bird) to get them to accept new foods. I think ALL parrots must love corn!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 06:08:43 PM »
Lurch eats what we eat, pasta, corn, zupreem fruity pellets, Nutri Berries, any junk food he can get his beak on or in.
He does seem to love chicken too and I find if I eat with him watching he'll tend to want it. Sometime he'll get stubborn and I'll tease him with a new food and he'll get mad and bite it, next thing you know he's working his beak and going HMMM, that evil food tasted good and now he wants more. He also will kill for walnuts and luckily isn't nuts for peanuts like Nerd was for 31 years.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 11:56:11 PM »
Thanks so much for the responses. JT I have missed your gorgeous photos :-) Thanks for sharing

Yes agree Julie. I guess my point was that I have had Max since he was 4 months and he digs into healthy food but he still will not eat certain things and those are the same things Charlie who apparently was not given very healthy food for most of his life will not eat. So I was wondering if anyone's pi eats eggs or sweet potato.  Seems Eloy eats mash and then some!

Eloy, my dear do you have a big appetitie!  Teach Max to eat mash! Yout have grown big and strong for your mom with reason. Otherwise Max eats nearly same variety but you definitely have a wider selection. He will not touch raspberries! Not sure he will eat yogurt or cottage cheese as he doesn't like mushy. Max doesn't consider junk food to be food. He does get excited  when he sees what is in his veggies bowl but I am stumped that he will not eat sweet potato in any form...mashed. diced, dry, etc.  Luckily he eats carrots and red bell pepper though. So hopefully enough vitamin A.

It has been over a year but I keep trying with Charlie. He eats some fruits like blackberries, blue berries, pomegranate, apple, grape. He will taste sprouts, taste cooked lima bean or pea or pumpkin or squash,  loves corn. He loves quinoa. So I will keep trying.  Luckily I slip veggies into his treasured bird bread so he does get other veggies. As long as he is not eating 100% pellets I am happy.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 12:02:07 AM »
Oh and yes Eloy. You have made us all hungry! Great ideas for lunch tomorrow. :icon_mrgreen: :eatnow: