Author Topic: Mineral deficiency?  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Meehlticket

• Egg
Mineral deficiency?
« on: December 30, 2013, 10:34:09 PM »
I have a 9 year old female Dusky Pionus.  She has a terrible time with her TOES!  She wears down her toes nails normally by walking around our concrete floors and climbing our tree branches, with occasional visits to the vet to do a more drastic trimming.  However, she continually gets her toes caught in things and rips the nails or worse.

Tonight was the last straw.  She ripped a nail and the nail bed right off.  After stopping the bleeding and getting her settled, I looked over her perch and could find no blood, and no cause for her to have torn a nail.

An elderly Pionus we had prior to the Dusky also had terrible toes.  One missing toe, and two missing toe nails, plus arthritis.

Is bad feet a problem with Pionus?  I can't help but think something is missing from her diet.

She has great muscle tone, is a wonderful flyer, and has excellent feathers.  She has a varied diet of pellets, nuts, home and locally grown veggies and fruit, and cooked Kashi with rolled grains and locally grown rice, plus wild rice.

I'm going to follow up with the suggesting of missing Vitamin A, but could she be missing some mineral?

We head to the veterinarians the first part of next week for a blood draw (as if she didn't lose enough blood with this toe.)  A fecal will probably be included.

I welcome any suggestions, comments, pearls of wisdom, etc....

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Mineral deficiency?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 12:46:48 AM »
With a vet exam and blood work it's always good for peace of mind, and can show deficiencies (if any) and give a picture of general health which we all like to be reassured of. With the diet you say you feed, I wouldn't think there would be any deficiencies, or nothing so obvious that it should cause these problems. Hopefully the vet will have an idea what might be causing the foot issues. Never heard of bad Pionus feet. It would be interesting to know what the vet says about it. Good luck.

If you can, please post pics of your Dusky! There are no regularly active members now with one. Also, what type of Pionus did you have previous to your Dusky?

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:55:57 AM »
We had a caique who hung upside down and played so violently that her toes would swell, turn black, and lose the nail. We could not figure it our till the vet asked if she was playing too hard.  Is your Dusky getting them caught in something?

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 02:40:10 AM »
Welcome. So sorry to hear of your Dusky's nail. Glad you have a vet appointment. Sooner the better. No possibility of having vet treat nail on emergency basis?
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Meehlticket

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 05:34:39 PM »
I have most of what the vet would have to treat an injury left over from my vet tech days.  Fortunately as they age or are used up, the supplies are replenished by my vet.
I just need to find out why she keeps hurting herself- make sure it isn't something metabolic.  I must admit I've seen her do some things that were not in her best interest!  Of all the birds I've owned, she is the one that gets herself into the worst situations. She's given me a few grey hairs!