Author Topic: Your thoughts on bed times...  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Your thoughts on bed times...
« on: December 15, 2013, 10:51:42 AM »
I have a health concern here. Avian vets will tell you birds need at least 10-12 hrs of sleep. I understand that's optimal for biological functioning, attitude, etc. (I hope longevity isn't TOO impacted by lack of)...
BUT, depending on the schedule of the humans in the household, and the size or layout of the house or apartment, this 12 hour let alone 8 many times is just not possible. Hypothetical questions: What if you don't have an extra bedroom for sleep cages? What if you have no choice but to get home late, and someone else gets up really early? Or, you dont want to have to stop watching tv and turn out all your lights and go to bed yourself at 8 pm? I wonder if they can fall asleep with a cage cover even with some background noise, like they would have in the wild? or if they're just so used to quiet when they sleep in our homes that they don't sleep til it's completely quiet? I know this must be a fairly common problem in houses and apartments across the birdkeeping world!

Should I just not worry about it since the problem cannot be fixed at this time, and just continue doing the best I can under the circumstances? Guess I'm going to have to. The REAL reason I worry is that Robin is up there in years, and I do want to do everything I can to keep his lifespan as long as possible, so hope it's no too detrimental when he gets less than he should. I guess there's no real solution here guys, I'm just venting!

Does anyone else here have less than perfect sleep conditions for your birds more than occasionally? Do you think twice about it or does it not bother you as long as your birds are otherwise healthy? In other words, should I just shut up and relax??!  :shocking:

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Your thoughts on bed times...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »
Well Lurch used to go to bed about 8pm every night on his own and we'd cover him after a while with a thick dark wool blanket. Now he usually stays up till we go to bed at least 11pm and most nights we cover him once he goes or we chase him in for the night.
When I get up to go to work whether he's out or inside generally he's all tucked away and he doesn't want to be bothered seeing how it's dark inside and out.
He does seem to nap during the day and later in the evening even when we are up and watching TV at normal volume and sometimes he'll just open a eye to see what we are up to and make sure we didn't run away :icon_mrgreen:
I think he probably gets 7 or 8 hours a night plus his nap times all day so I think he's fine and most birds would be OK as well as long as they get covered so the noise and light doesn't bother them. I don't think Lurch would take very well to a sleep cage in a different room and if we did that we'd probably have to setup a bird area in the spare room so he didn't trash the carpet that's everywhere but the kitchen and bathrooms.
Once he's up for the day he seems bright and alert and wants treats and attention unless he's in a grumpy mood, then we let him be till he calms down.
When they are in the wild I think they go by day night cycles because once it's dark they can't see much anyways so they pick a safe spot and roost.
I'm sure others with more experience will jump in with better info and ideas but that's my take on it.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 02:44:23 PM »
I leave early and arrive late. My birds are encouraged to get up and play out of their cages for 2 hours before I leave. I try to ensure they are out an hour at least when I get home. Max will stay out as much as he can in the evening. I figure with my long day they must take long naps so I try to ensure hours of sleep but I really concentrate on as much out of cage as I can provide during week.

And they seem just fine. Do not worry. Do best you can
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dani

• Egg
  • Bronson The Little Raptor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 04:56:17 PM »
Luna and Bronson are out here in the main living space and all the others are tucked neatly in the "bird room." I cover Luna and Bronson and try to keep the house darker and quiet for them, but we have the tv on and go about our business as quietly as we can until 10pm most nights. Luna is awake because she mumbles to herself and occasionally blurts out a word or two, but she is definitely resting. Bronson can sleep pretty good while we are up, because she tucks her head back and keeps her eyes closed........even when I'm peeking in at her. They are also very used to the cats lurking at all hours, doing what cats do, so they are pretty much "bomb proof" at this point.
Sorry for rambling. My point being, I think they get enough sleep. Parrots adapt better than people think  IMO.  :icon_mrgreen:

Don't worry, they're fine.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »
Oh good... Thanks everyone. I think I'm just over worrying! I think they do adapt well to human life. Good reminder Dani - and I do enjoy your ramblings btw  :icon_mrgreen:

I guess he probably sleeps adequately enough.  :smilie_bett:

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »

Most Pionus I've known like to go to bed early.  I know Blu does, she hangs out in her jolly ball snoozing until I put her in her cage anywhere from 8 to 9 pm then I cover her cage partly so she gets less light.  My B&G Kuka, I have to cover her up otherwise she would be a night owl. I cover two sides of her cage that I clip onto the side of her cage so she can not see me.  I don't think she always goes to deep sleep until after all lights are out.  I sit at my pc and my tv here in the bird room but I listen the tv with head phones so it is quite in here.

My Pionus that I've ever had out in my aviaries, they have always tucked them selves in by dusk time.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 02:00:20 AM »
Dobby will put himself to bed, or roost atop a door, right around 8 in the evening. He has always done that, so I try to keep the noise down after he does.  If he is on the door, I am very careful not to startle him, and he loves to get in his cage and be covered. We try to keep the noise down.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 02:13:42 AM »
Interesting that 8 pm is so consistent with pionus. Charlie definitely puts himself to bed by 8

Offline Meehlticket

• Egg
Re: Your thoughts on bed times... my Pionus likes her sleep!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 10:45:20 PM »
It is good to know that other Pionus like their sleep.  My Pionus will go to her cage and put herself to bed - if she is out of the bird room, she will be "in my face" telling me it is time for bed.  However, she DOES NOT LIKE TO BE COVERED!  She hates that.  I'm going to use the suggestion of only partially covering her cage.  She is the first to head for sleep, and the last one up.   I don't fuss with her until she has been uncovered for at least 20 minutes.  My birds are on a 12 hour schedule; pretty much sunrise to sunset.  That works out best for our time zone, our schedules, and their diurnal rhythms.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 02:41:48 AM »
Great thst you can provide 12 hours.

Offline Meehlticket

• Egg
Re: Your thoughts on bed times... a Half cover for the cage worked!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »
Just wanted to let you folks know that I switched to only covering half of my Pionus' cage - the side where they morning sun would shine on first.  Its worked great.  Much less complaint from her when she sees the covers.  Maybe over the next couple of weeks she will come to accept it and have no complaints at all.