Author Topic: Preventing Asper  (Read 1546 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Preventing Asper
« on: January 01, 2014, 06:04:32 AM »
As many know pionus parrots can be susceptible to asper. This is a good article to consider

http://www.m2birdsitters.com/aspergillosis.htm
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Preventing Asper
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »
Thank you for posting this article. I tend to get concerned about that, and sometimes wonder HOW EASILY they can pick up the spores despite taking precautions as best we can, but an important reminder is in the article saying basically that a healthy bird with a good immune system can help with keeping it away.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 12:48:44 PM »
Nerd bird ate peanuts his whole life. He loved them and demanded them daily and we always bought the raw ones from the health food section at Freddies. We also tried to get the ones with the cleanest shells and had no clue about aspir till much later. Figured by then if he hadn't caught it he was going to be OK and he also would be very upset and depressed if we suddenly stopped giving him a peanut when he walked up to the couch and demanded one.
As far as I know he never got it and pretty sure the vet checked for it the few times he was in for issues later in his life.
Luckily Lurch doesn't seem to care about them so he hardly ever gets one though we still try to have nice clean ones around.
I do think if the bird is healthy and gets other good things to eat they should be somewhat resistant to it but we try not to push our luck with Lurch.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 04:33:27 PM »
My vet has stressed keeping the environment clean and a healthy diet which is a given .I tend not to stress about asper but good to know more about it
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto