Author Topic: Canopy dwellers only?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Canopy dwellers only?
« on: January 01, 2014, 10:26:34 AM »
I was getting Raven's cage ready (he comes home 1/11)!  :icon_mrgreen: and it brought up a question...

Do your Pi's ONLY use the upper portion of the cage, meaning the main perch by the food bowls and above? While in their cage, do they EVER go on the bottom to play? Or utilize any of the bottom space in the cage below the main perch?

Some species do and some don't, and honestly I do not remember what my Pi I had 7 yrs. ago did. Thanks.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Canopy dwellers only?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 11:29:08 AM »
No, he stays at the highest point.  When out, he comes down to the floor to taunt the dog, but mainly he likes the bird's eye view of everything.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 12:55:25 PM »
Nerd stayed on the perch by his food and water bottle, and did sometimes go down to forage for goodies he dropped. Lurch stays on the highest perch in his cage and only goes down when he knows there's a treat he dropped.
Nerd never flew well so was content to make short hops and walk everywhere, on the ground, though that led to him getting bumped and almost stepped on a few times till he learned to make traveling music and we learned to always look for carpet parrots before walking in his area as he trusted us so much he sometimes wouldn't move when we didn't see him.
I think they prefer the highest vantage point but it depends on the individual of course.
Village Idiot

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 01:32:39 PM »
Adam and Chante have identical cages and since the food and water dishes and their water bottles are about halfway up the cage they must descend from their lofty perches to eat. Adam tends to forage around the bottom a lot, Chante does a little bit but not as much. I put newspapers on top of the grates so they can get the goodies they drop and it makes cleaning easier since the grates do not need a daily scrubbing. For sleeping they both use perches near the top in a corner.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 05:10:50 PM »
Charlie will sit at bottom of main door when it is open. Both use one lower perch I have as a means to get around. Generally both stay high up for the most part
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 05:40:17 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I'm using a cage I already had (which is nice not having had to spend extra money for a new cage). The cage is big for a Pi - 26x36. I was at first concerned about the one inch bar spacing, but relaxed a bit when I read that Jan posted that one inch is fine for any Pionus. Seems big, but I figure she's a well qualified Pi authority!

Too bad this cage is taller than it needs to be (long vertically). I hate that it goes all the way down to the floor, but it's what I have so hopefully Raven will be one to explore down there at times. I might keep foraging stuff down there to encourage him to use the lower half. It was tempting to buy a shiny new Pionus size cage with 5/8" spacing, but I needed to take advantage of one of the two "free" cages I have. I just hope Raven likes it.